Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Early Movie toy pics and reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Metro View Post
    He has a beard! That is not great.
    I'm hoping the Lockdown deluxe is a decent figure (if ever it eventuates) as I'm a Lamborghini Aventador fan. Please don't stuff it up Hasbro!
    I like the beard, but even if it had a completely different headsculpt that wouldn't make it any less of a great looking toy. It looks well-engineered and well-sculpted, which doesn't fit with Griffin's theory about shoddy toys in later waves.

(The beard is there for good reasons, btw: it's a popular style choice made by members of the US military who drive the sort of vehicle he turns into, so homages them. That's one of the reasons I like the toy so much)

Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    I like the beard, but even if it had a completely different headsculpt that wouldn't make it any less of a great looking toy. It looks well-engineered and well-sculpted, which doesn't fit with Griffin's theory about shoddy toys in later waves.
    I didn't say shoddy toys in later waves... I said that the better looking ones are more likely to be in early waves, as Hasbro has to convince Retailers to order the line based on the first wave on display at Toyfair. It just makes marketing sense to prioritise product that rates well, either by being quality product, or the main characters.
    Hound and Galvatron may have been left for the second waves because they are new to the Movie Universe that aren't being featured (like the Dinobots), and the second wave will still be released before the Movie is released. It's just this really early wave (6 weeks before the movie can even promote them to the regular people), that focus on the primary characters or better looking figures.

I think the "later waves" thing is an accurate generalisation. The waves are not decided by awesomeness alone and wave 2 is not immediately worse than wave 1. But each wave tries to have enough "heavy hitters" to sell the wave and get the retailer to order a later wave - this is especially important for wave 1. If wave 1 fails to sell, Hasbro could have the investment of the remaing entire-product-line without a buyer. Ouch.

If all sells well, later waves will start to have some no-name characters appear in them and even though a no-name can have a very cool toy you can bet the designers did not sweat over it as much as the Wave 1 figures. Also, some characters may need to be held back for spoiler reasons.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

What I noticed when the Lego Movie Sets came out about a month before the movie is that they seemed to sit around on the shelves until the movie released. Then suddenly they flew off the shelves! Hopefully this will happen to the wave 1 Transformers toys. Personally, I had no interest in the Lego sets PRIOR to watching the movie then I felt like I had to buy a set after watching.....but I didn't.

I'm hoping the Lockdown deluxe is a decent figure (if ever it eventuates) as I'm a Lamborghini Aventador fan. Please don't stuff it up Hasbro!
    http://s142.photobucket.com/user/blu...tml?sort=6&o=9

Thoughts?

And '14 Bumblebee

http://s142.photobucket.com/user/blu...tml?sort=6&o=9

The Bumblebee is the Mega One-Step (the mid-size between the Stomp-n-Chomp Grimlock and all the rest One-Step figures), which when displayed at US Toyfair next to the Flip-&-Change Bumblebee, they both looked very similar in size (and both have single-step conversion). They are both big toys, about Leader size.

Your Lockdown link is showing the same Bumblebee picture, so I'm guessing it was the next one along in the folder, which is the One-Step Lockdown.

If you go to the left in the thumb nail viewer they have pics of the one step and generations lockdown (i think)
    http://s142.photobucket.com/user/blu...tml?sort=6&o=5

If this is the generations version, I'm impressed... my only gripe and I'm hoping it is the camera angle, is he appears to have the beginnings of gorilla arms....

Quote Originally Posted by Ravagecat View Post
    If you go to the left in the thumb nail viewer they have pics of the one step and generations lockdown (i think)
    http://s142.photobucket.com/user/blu...tml?sort=6&o=5

If this is the generations version, I'm impressed... my only gripe and I'm hoping it is the camera angle, is he appears to have the beginnings of gorilla arms....
    And those 'knobbly bits' on the door.

And those 'knobbly bits' on the door.
    I think those are wing mirrors. Both this and the One-step figure look pretty good, I might actually get a Decepticon out of AOE after all.

There have been some video reviews, but now TFW has pictures of Generations Hound and Galvatron.

Hound is awesome looking as expected from Toyfair. It looks like they've chosen a nice shade of dark green. Galvatron I'm struggling with. He looks like a good toy as shellformers go, with the vehicle mode parts stored on his back a bit more elegantly than FE or leader class Prime. There's also a good bit of sculpted detail and good looking articulation on the figure, and the vehicle mode looks good. But he's Hasbro grey, and I promised myself I would never buy a Transformer that used that awful plastic as a primary colour, so I'm on the fence.