Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 234567 ... LastLast

Thread: OLYMPICS

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse
    Yeah but I can't stand the "Olympic Versions" of those sports...
    Why?

Freestyle & Greco-Roman wrestling? Puh-leese... No wonder Kurt Angle gave it up first opportunity he had...
    Because?

Amateur boxing? WTF!? I know boxing these days is fixed as but I'd still much rather watch Lennox Lewis & Holyfield slug it out one more time rather than watching Felix Savon knock out some wannabe...
    You're not backing up any of these statements with rational reasons. I don't follow fighting sports so none of these names mean anything to me. Is it simply because you find non-Olympic boxing to be more brutal? IMO non-Olympic boxing is a bloodsport. Many medical associations have continued to criticise the sport because of its so-called brutality... a level of brutality that I don't think would be acceptable to the Olympic ideal.

(I wonder why Savon never turned pro? If you were a boxer, Would you rather be an Undisputed World Heavyweight Champion or an Olympic Gold Medallist? Which title has more acclaim in the boxing world... It wouldn't be that hard to figure it out... )
    That entirely depends on the nature of the boxer.

I personally have no interest in Olympic Judo or Taekwondo - or any martial arts that is involved in competition, and that includes MMA. To me they're not really martial arts in the traditional combative sense, they're sports. But that's just my personal opinion because when it comes to martial arts I'm more of a traditionalist - I'm more interested in fight applications and self-defence instead of entertainment or competition (i.e.: I'm more interested in the art rather than the sport). But that's me.

I wouldn't say that modern sports martial arts like Taekwondo, K-1 and MMA have no acclaim in the martial arts world - that would be bollocks. If anything, modern martial arts have more acclaim amongst martial artists these days than traditional martial arts. Look at the coloured belt ranking system - that's something that came from modern sports martial arts (originated from Judo). The vast majority of martial art schools use it - so much so that some people actually think that it's traditional!! Haw! Do you think your average Okinawan fisherman would waste his money purchasing karate uniforms, coloured belts and grading fees?? Gradings?! That would've been utterly unheard of in your typical Okinawan fishing village! Most folks just trained in their regular clothes (or a lot less on a hot stinking day in tropical Okinawa).

"Belt mean no need rope hold up pants." - Mr. Miyagi (The Karate Kid)

Having said that, there are isolated fighting skills/techniques that you can analyse from watching fighting sports and on a rare occasion you do get individuals who manage to become exceptionally good fighters despite the fact that they're trained in a sport rather than a fighting style. Mohammed Ali is a classic example of this; he came to understand the fighting principles of Yin Yang (or as he put it, "float like a butterfly sting like a bee"; i.e.: that one must be soft and hard in a cyclical flow) - a concept that I find a lot of fighters struggle with.

P.S.: It may be more appropriate to continue any more in-depth discussions about martial arts in this thread.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 10th August 2008 at 12:42 PM.

bah to the Olympics

bring back the Roman style games, we could have criminals and lowlives terminated in style.

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Is it simply because you find non-Olympic boxing to be more brutal? IMO non-Olympic boxing is a bloodsport. Many medical associations have continued to criticise the sport because of its so-called brutality... a level of brutality that I don't think would be acceptable to the Olympic ideal.
    I think you've summed it up perfectly. I luv watching the UFC, Pro Boxing & Pro Rassling (Yes, I know it's fake) because I luv the brutality of it. I luv the bloodsport factor of it. I give those Pro Fighters/Boxers/Rasslers a hell of alot of credit for stepping into the ring because they know they could receive the beating of their life. But they're trained professionals who know what they're doing & the sporting authorities wouldn't let them step into the ring if they felt the Pro fighters/boxers/rasslers weren't ready for it.

Olympic fighting sports have no brutality & no bloodsport... so therefore, they don't interest me even one iota.

i dont care when people from around the world get together to compete, except for the miss universe contest!!1
    Wanted items:
    eHobby Orion Pax and Dion

I would probably watch more of the olympics if the Australian media weren't so bloody over patriotic... It sickens me. Plus with Fox8's battle of the animations on I'll be tuning in to that.

Although I hear the aussie softball team may have a new hottie since I believe Natalie Ward has retired so I'll be watching that
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

god damm olympics. all i wanted to do was watch the basketball, and every time they said it was coming up tonite, all i would see is swimming, or gymnastics.

channel 7 murder the olympics and have done ever since i remember

</rant>

:P

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

I was wondering if anyone had any interesting Olympic/Olympic-related memories from years gone by...?

I can remember one night from the Sydney Games, Lisa Maree & I were watching the Women's Gymnastics from our own bedrooms & talking on our phones at the same time. At one point, I remember her saying "Do you wish I could do stuff like that? "...

The only Olympic sport I care for is on SBS, thankfully.

For the, the fact that it's an Olympic tournament is a mere detail, since I follow the teams involved anyway. Italy 3 - Korea 0 tonight (:

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

I love watching gymnastics...

Blackie tune into SBS. It's got better coverage then 7. Ibelieve there has been some basketball screened on there already.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503