View Poll Results: TF4 Movie (AOE) - worth watching?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • excellent, must see

25 24.75%
  • good, see if you can

33 32.67%
  • average

20 19.80%
  • disappointing, avoid it

23 22.77%
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9192425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Movie Review - Transformers 4 : Age Of Extinction (spoilers)

Good news: the DVD is also region free! The actual disc has region 1 stamped on it, but I've tried it on two different R4 players, and it worked both times! (much to my pleasant surprise)

Quote Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
    Are the borders to the top/bottom, left/right, or both? 5.5cm - what screen size are we talking about? It could be to compensate for overscan, but that's unusual in the days of LCD televisions and blu-ray discs (except for Grease's opening title animation...)
    5.5cm on both sides. I watched it on my lounge room TV which is 105cm diagonally or 92cm(W) x 52cm(H). This evening I watched it again on our bedroom TV which is 56cm diagonally, or 50cm(W) x 27cm(H); the funny thing is, I got perfect letterbox on that TV! So it may very well be related to the TV setting or screen size. The thing is, all other movies that I play on our lounge room TV has perfect letterbox. <shrugs> Maybe I need to play around with the settings or something.

Quote Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
    As for subtitles, I suspect it comes down to screen real estate and speed of reading. Unfortunate, but a fact of life.
    The reading speed's not an issue, it's just that so much of the text is missing. But maybe it's because it's on a second line which has been cropped off.

I played around with my TV settings and have managed to restore a proper letterbox aspect ratio. Thanks for the advice, millhouse!

I also just finished watching the special features. The T.J. Miller special feature was incredibly lame... trying so hard to be funny, but just being awkward and annoying. It's like watching the typical "class clown" who thinks that he's utterly hilarious in his mind, but not to anyone else (least of all the audience). Seriously... there's nothing remotely funny in what he does. I'd strongly recommend giving this special feature a wide berth.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    Sounds like a plan
    all that's missing is the date and the dvd... venue is easy
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post

I'm just waiting for the regular dvd release.... when it goes on cheaper price as well, not the first $30+ release... it just doesn't interest me for some reason.. I just need to get one, prolly watch it once and keep it for the collection.
    Jb hi fi has the dvd version for $19.98 on there web site JB HI FI Link

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    all that's missing is the date and the dvd... venue is easy
    Whenever you're free dude. Can't help with the DVD though however if your new TV has a USB slot then we're in business
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

I watched the rest of the special features on the US set, and one is indeed the video that was recently released as "out-takes", as I had suspected (I guess no one on the global fansites had watched the extras yet to mention it).

Another clip is one I recommend watching for anyone wanting to know how the current toys are designed and made... using computers and 3D printers... over a 2-3 year period. The process has certainly changed since the Hasbro tour in 2007, before 3D printers were used.
    If you get this DVD/Bluray set, or if the Australian release has these extras, make sure you watch this one.

And yes, the TJ Miller (or whatever his name is) extra was really sad to watch.

If anyone is interested transformers age of extinction is out in australia as of yesterday at jb hifi and the bonus disc is availble in both the australian versions of the bluray

I think the only way I'm going to own this on DVD is if someone buys it for me as a gift.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

I watched the movie for only the second time a few weeks ago when my BluRay from the states showed up (the one I paid $70 for and now is on sale for $30 ).

Wont review it and go into it as did that months ago, but I will say I enjoyed in the cinemas and on rewatching it at home it's become my second fav live action TF flick. So for me it goes in order of enjoyment: TF, AoE, DOTM, ROTF - or: 1, 4, 3, 2.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Just started watching the extras on the American DVD/Bluray pack.
    Got the same pack, but highly doubt I'll ever find sufficient time to watch the extras.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The reading speed's not an issue, it's just that so much of the text is missing. But maybe it's because it's on a second line which has been cropped off.
    Was that the case (image/subs being cropped off screen?).

Glad the ratio advice worked out for you. Also, subtitles are often shortened because the size of them has to work for whatever screen size the movie is playing on - from a 13" notebook to a 60" television. It's a factor worth noting.

My advice? Headphones. :P