Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of the Toy Business.

Default The State of the Toy Business.

http://www.takefiveaday.com/2014/07/...-that-a-cliff/

Some interesting thoughts in this article. The most pertinent ones for us are:

"While Transformers, the movie is doing fine – the toys are stacked to the gills and selling at a slow pace... And if you can’t sell Transformer toys with a giant movie opening, you cannot sell toys... AND if you can’t sell trucks or robots that change into dinosaurs, there is big trouble in toyland.

The #1 licensed toy line in America usually generates about $400-$500 million in sales a year... At the rate the toys are selling, Transformers might still crack $225 million which is a lot but when you create inventory to sell $500 million dollars worth of toys? That’s not so good – plus all the 2nd and 3rd waves they were expecting to sell. So, get ready for some massive markdowns and serious re-packing … so wait for the sales and markdowns (and pick up the wave #2 & #3 releases for sales stock as they won’t get as much distribution). :-)

Last year, toy sales were down 9% in the US which is obviously not good BUT the worse news is if you took out LEGO, toy sales are down 17%!"

Not sure if it applies everywhere, but the kids in my family and at the school I teach in, toys don't cut the mustard as much anymore.

Sure kids still want their dolls and nerd guns and the odd big item, but they mostly want technology, phones, iPads, video games etc.

Plus when you look at the crap on the shelves (most of the tf section seems to be filled with terrible looking Titan figures!) it can be quite daunting. Add to that the focus on Prime and Bumblebee has backfired, you can only sell two characters so many times. G1 worked so well as there were hundreds of different characters for kids to find a favourite in.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

That commentary on Transformers was true for the last three years, starting with the massive amount of toy stock warming shelves in 2011 for DOTM, but this year Hasbro (or the retailers) have been smarter with less stock but more variety... and it worked, as we've already been seeing wave 2 stock coming through just before the movie came out.
    Most of the stuff I'm seeing sitting in stores (here and America) are the gimmick items, which will be good for us older collectors, as Hasbro should see that as justification for a readjustment of the ratio a little back in our favour.

It still amazes me that they have a toy line for what is in essence an adult / mature rated film I know that Spike said that word 'shit' in TF:TM, but that's not even in the same ballpark as 'how do you say get the f@#k out of the way in Chinese'. I wouldn't take my 10 year old to see it (for the record, my kids are younger anyway) and therefore wouldn't expect him / her to want any of the toys. IMO, it's the parents pushing the toys on their kids, but after 4 movies over 7 years, it's the parents who have gotten over it. If the movies were aimed at a younger age bracket, then it would allow the franchise to grow with them bringing in new young fans every time a movie is released. Personally, I wouldn't mind a PG Transformers movie because in reality, TF:TM is still the best, even without the added swearing, ass shots, dirty jokes etc.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    It still amazes me that they have a toy line for what is in essence an adult / mature rated film I know that Spike said that word 'shit' in TF:TM, but that's not even in the same ballpark as 'how do you say get the f@#k out of the way in Chinese'. I wouldn't take my 10 year old to see it (for the record, my kids are younger anyway) and therefore wouldn't expect him / her to want any of the toys. IMO, it's the parents pushing the toys on their kids, but after 4 movies over 7 years, it's the parents who have gotten over it. If the movies were aimed at a younger age bracket, then it would allow the franchise to grow with them bringing in new young fans every time a movie is released. Personally, I wouldn't mind a PG Transformers movie because in reality, TF:TM is still the best, even without the added swearing, ass shots, dirty jokes etc.
    I have to agree with this. A TF movie that is more kid-friendly will be right up my alley. It doesn't even have to be childish, just less edgy.

I agree wholeheartedly.

To be frank though, the quality of figure being put out for this movie is kind of appaling. Who in their right mind would pay $80-100 for that leader class Prime? Too many of the items look cheap and junky.

And part of the blame has to come from their release strategy. You see it with every movie - Begin the release a few good figures and a lot of 'chaff' that they know people won't be as excited for in the long run. They hope that by the time you've seen the movie and know which figures are cool/desireable you've already bought the less popular ones and will fork out for the stars of the show. The trouble is, this time far fewer people took the bait and it's hurting their bottom line. It also hurts us because the few figures that people are waiting for (Stinger, for example) are in danger of cancellation.

For the record I enjoyed TF4.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Masterpieces are gone, so they should have known the trick and release movie masterpiece and sucker all of us easily with $150 each, unfortunately they didn't. oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    As opposed to say the Alien, Predator and Terminator franchises? Rambo? Various horror movies? Movies have always had toy lines somewhat inappropriately, and I'd say those movies are far worse than any of the TF ones.

Never fancied movie related tfs at all. Lots of hype about it but soon enough it's just nose dives.

I think the really popular movie tied in toys will be the minions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gouki View Post
    As opposed to say the Alien, Predator and Terminator franchises? Rambo? Various horror movies? Movies have always had toy lines somewhat inappropriately, and I'd say those movies are far worse than any of the TF ones.
    IMO the big difference here is that Transformers started out as a toy line aimed at children. The movies followed.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]