Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece MP-23 Exhaust

Is it my imagination, or does the front skirting sticker say "GoodFlavor"? A nod to the Cigarette Brand perhaps?

I don't have a problem with the altering of the red deco, as it still implies the homage to the toy that wasn't even a Transformers toy originally anyway.
    It's just like the modified "Sponsor Logos" that toys like Classics Mirage and even this one has had to use. Why aren't people complaining about those necessary modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by theshape View Post
    Im very confused by this. Everyone always says that TT doesn't really care about the foreign market
    I think Goktimus was the only one who said that... but since TT sells to Japanese businesses that sell a huge chunk of stock outside of Japan, they aren't going to release items that their customers aren't able to sell to the bulk of collectors outside of Japan. Even Masterpiece & Encore Megatron toys were produced knowing that with an orange cap most foreign markets could still buy it from TT's customers (Japanese businesses).

With Exhaust, they've listened to their customers (Japanese businesses) who can't export the toy to countries like America, so they've modified it enough to be allowed. Otherwise, they may not be able to produce it if they have to rely on Japanese purchases (and a small number of collectors in other countries that could get one, or snuck one in).

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Is it my imagination, or does the front skirting sticker say "GoodFlavor"? A nod to the Cigarette Brand perhaps?
    it looks like a play on the branding of the car & the Goodyear logo too, and the Sidestream(?) on the rear wing looks like it's using the Marlboro font too, but i can't quite make it out.

Well yeah, I know its a modified Goodyear logo to avoid licensing... but I thought it was maybe a cheeky nod to the cigarette brand as well.

Other is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Homage is watered down my ass, the front may be a bit different but the spoiler is actually accurate to the real car/Diaclone figure now. They corrected as much as they changed

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

With Exhaust, they've listened to their customers (Japanese businesses) who can't export the toy to countries like America, so they've modified it enough to be allowed. Otherwise, they may not be able to produce it if they have to rely on Japanese purchases (and a small number of collectors in other countries that could get one, or snuck one in).
    Wouldn't this be like megatron ? Pretty sure the other half would have preferred the unaltered version.

Anyway, I think some custom job could do it.

Imma paint the hood back to its Malboro design, and print off a sticker saying Malboro. And then make the figure hold a cigarette.

I think Goktimus was the only one who said that...
    Because that's what Takara explicitly told me back in 2003. And just last month TakaraTOMY told me that they only cater for the Japanese market when they told me that their online survey site is now geoblocking non-Japanese users. That's what they're telling me, so please don't shoot the messenger. Perhaps you could direct a question about this at Hasbro's Q&A at BotCon this year.

Even Masterpiece & Encore Megatron toys were produced knowing that with an orange cap most foreign markets could still buy it from TT's customers (Japanese businesses).
    I thought those orange caps were something that individual retailers added and not something that Takara(TOMY) themselves supplied for those toys.

It could be the case that they "officially" cannot cater for non-Japanese markets, but may do so "unofficially" -- i.e. in more subtle ways that doesn't directly violate their contract with Hasbro. <shrugs> </speculation>

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

This become a bit tricky as most stores shows the old proper pic of the Marlboro car and not this version.

Would it be justified as item not as decribed from pics? lol
    I am actually tempted to cancel alter my order of 2 to just one because of this alteration. But most stores may not even know of such a change in the product.

I am sort of disappointed overall on this piece but it isnt as bad as the Silver Streak/Blue Streak kind of disapointment.

Looks like stickers from other sources to make it what it should be ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Would it be justified as item not as decribed from pics? lol
    I am actually tempted to cancel alter my order of 2 to just one because of this alteration. But most stores may not even know of such a change in the product.
    "Actual product may vary."
    Running changes have existed in Transformers since the very beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    I am sort of disappointed overall on this piece but it isnt as bad as the Silver Streak/Blue Streak kind of disapointment.
    Was it ever officially stated that MP Silverstreak was going to be in Diaclone colours, or did some people just make this presumption?