Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Takara Tomy's and Hasbro's stance on 3rd party bots?

In 2000, Takara took action against an unauthorised comic book that was to be sold at BotCon Japan. The author of the book was ordered not to sell the book and instead give it away to attendees for free. There has never been another BotCon in Japan ever since.
    http://www.botcon.com/archive/2000j/index.html
    http://tfwiki.net/wiki/BotCon_Japan_2000

Hasbro doesn't have the right to stop competitors making third party products or transforming robots *cough*Voltron* but it's a shame that so few actually create something ORIGINAL that they come up with on their own. For example GlacialLord combiner. But how often do you see a *new* toy made in an 80s homage? It's rare (only other one I can think of is the Reaction figures that use Kenner style packaging, but can't think of any robot beyond GlacialLord )

There are legitimate parts and upgrades for Transformers on 3d printing sites like Shapeways, and Hasbro are making an attempt to do something with it.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Officially, word is that they acknowledge it's a thing and - as a company - don't particularly like it, even if individual designers like some of the works.
    Of course, that was coming from Aaron Archer, who is now involved with a pseudo-3P group making Pretender homages. So, you know...it's sort of an official/legal position.

However, it's not worth the time and resources it would take for HTT to shut down the 3P 'industry' (or the fan nerd-rage that would follow, which I'm sure they get enough of as is), so they turn a blind eye as long as it's not shoved too hard in their faces. I think the rule is ~10% different = legally safe enough to avoid trouble.

At the same time, HTT don't feel it's worth the lower profit margins to make high-end stuff themselves on a wide scale - with a few well-received exceptions a la MasterPiece. So, they can't really be bothered stamping it out by filling the market niche themselves - it's more profitable to sell more regular release toys to a greater number of consumers.
    And of course, HasTakTom don't really want to get too far into the copyright/trademark design issue themselves, 'cos then the issue of licensed vehicle alt-modes comes up, and HTT aren't much better on the similar-but-legally-distinct front than the 3rd Party groups on that count.

The latter 2 factors are why I personally have no problem with 3P stuff (albeit I do prefer upgrade kits over full figures) - aside from the cost, I have a budget after all - but the official stance is: We Don't Like It, But It's Too Much Hassle To Do Anything About, So (Unofficially) Unless It Becomes A Major Problem We'll Look The Other Way.

Coincidentally, there's already a discussion thread on this topic here.
    Last edited by Ode to a Grasshopper; 28th October 2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: I spent all last weekend making grammar worksheets dammit, at least rephrase me semi-eloquently...:p

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    It was a joke. Admittedly, not a good one.
    lol, I knew you were

The day Hasbro stop bastardising existing real world vehicles themselves to avoid paying fees & make a profit off them, is the day I feel they have every right to shut down third party operations for stealing *their* intellectual property.

oh make no mistake, Hasbro's "outrage" is purely dollar/legal motivated, they have no moral high ground to take. They've been copying vehicles designs for years. And let's not even talk about Kreos...

Quote Originally Posted by llamatron View Post
    And let's not even talk about Kreos...
    I don't think Lego's ever had the high ground on this, ripping off Kiddicraft for thirty years, then buying them out just so they could try to sue Tyco for doing the exact thing they did.

It reminds me of the Simpsons episode years ago that had them in court talking about everyone copies everything (when Itchy & Scratchy was claimed to be someone else's creation).

It's hard to justify a moral stand when very few current big businesses can claim the high ground.

Hasbro could potentially limit the distribution and Advertising of 3rd Party products, but wouldn't bother going after the companies that manufacture the items. They could send out cease and desists to all the major online retailers, which normally sell third party products as well as official HASBRO products. There are a few, I guess BBTS and Transformers Source are the major ones. Hasbro would need to be selective though on specifically which products to do this to, as to not cause an upset with the retailers and customers who also purchase Hasbro products as well as the 3rd party items. I have noticed and maybe I am wrong, but Toyworld's Bee, and Optimus imitations have not been sold at BBTS or Transformers Source. I'm thinking the business relationship with Hasbro, stopped these items. Just a guess.

So Hasbro will protect IP for Bumblebee and Optimus Prime, but sadly that is it. I love Third party products by the way.

Edit; Well actually Transformers Source did list Toyworlds Orion (Optimus for sale), so my theory is not overly solid.

Most of the fan-awareness of the unauthorised items is from the two global fansites treating them as Transformers news, so they are splashed on their news pages for everyone to see without trying to hunt them down.
    (and TFW being behind TFCon, which has as its main feature being 3rd party presentations while Hasbro aren't willing or able to get involved)

If Hasbro told the two global fansites to stop treating it as news and keep it in the back-end creative sections, at least half of their sales would dry up to just those who are more dedicated to keep track of them (as less new people would be drawn in if they don't ever go beyond the news pages/sections). And the two sites are too competitive to refuse because they need to remain on Hasbro's mailing list for official images and press-releases.

But as noted above, the Hasbro person at BotCon said that they have no current plans to act on the fansites or the American online stores selling them.