Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: JP/HK Masterpiece Ultra Magnus coming to ToysRUs Australia

When we compare Prowl to say Bumblebee that will only have 504 & Magnus with 400, having 1200 units didn't do it any favours either.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    When we compare Prowl to say Bumblebee that will only have 504 & Magnus with 400, having 1200 units didn't do it any favours either.
    I would say if they stay on bringing in Hasbro releases it would be a good backup or may be shelf warmed if priced too high. The Magnus would be interesting observation actually.

I think if I were a more casual fan, I'd be more inclined to buy a Transformer in a Japanese box (like MP Wheeljack) at $100 than buy a Transformer at the same price in the current Hasbro box style (like MP Prowl). The Japanese boxes look more "prestige" and like you're getting some "special" that's worth the extra dollars because it's been imported, rather than just a regular mass produced toy.

^Excellent point. Last month I took my family for dinner at a Chinese restaurant in Sydney's Chinatown, and I had MP Bumble w/ me on the table. One waiter recognised the toy and asked me if it was MP Bumblebee, then told me that he was a casual collector of Masterpieces; and yeah, exactly like you said, he prefers the TakaraTOMY black boxes over Hasbro's, as he perceives them as being more "legitimate." MP Wheeljack and Bumblebee seem to be strong sellers, while Hasbro MPs like Prowl, Sunstorm, Prowl and Grimlock are shelfwarming (at least in TRUs that I've been going to).

I wonder why we didn't see this level of enthusiasm for previous Japanese imported MPs such as MP2 Ultra Magnus, MP4 Convoy Perfect Ed., and the mother of all MP shelfwarmers, Ghost Starscream. Could it be that MPs have become more popular since the MP10?

In other news, I spoke w/ someone from Hasbro this morning who said that they do not have MP22 in their distribution centre atm (contradicting what I was told by another Hasbro employee on Monday). Anyway, considering that the toy is due in TRUs next month, I'd say that if the toys aren't already in their DC, it will be soon.

In Victoria MP4 Conovy Perfect Ed disappeared off the shelves pretty quickly once the catalogue came out, and the Hasbro versions were pretty good sellers. MP2 Magnus though was some odd albino Optimus Prime so it's not a surprise that didn't have the same appeal.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Then again you may have a collector strictly looking at Hasbro numbering. Well maybe.

For me the product was the focus point and sometimes the Hasbro version will appeal to me more.

For things to come, maybe MP-11 starscream will make a appearance on Hasbro in better colours.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    In Victoria MP4 Conovy Perfect Ed disappeared off the shelves pretty quickly once the catalogue came out, and the Hasbro versions were pretty good sellers. MP2 Magnus though was some odd albino Optimus Prime so it's not a surprise that didn't have the same appeal.
    Fair point. Hasbro Optimus Primes sold well here too, and Hasbro's MP Starscream flew off shelves (no pun intended) at my local TRU. MP Grimlock, Soundwave, MP10, Thundercracker (I could never even find him in stores!) and Acid Storm were also strong sellers. But then again, those toys weren't overpriced like MP Prowl is (and MP Sunstorm and Grimlock are also dearer than their previous counterparts' AU RRP). Then again, the local MP Rodimus shelf warmed here, even after the price was reduced to as low as $80 or even $60 at one stage.

Perhaps it's a combination of several factors that's helping to move Wheeljack and Bumble, including:
    * Exotic Japanese packaging
    * Quick release. Wheeljack and Bumble were both released shortly after they came out in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    Wow, that's a big discrepancy, I wonder if they got a little carried away ordering that prowl.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    ^Excellent point. Last month I took my family for dinner at a Chinese restaurant in Sydney's Chinatown, and I had MP Bumble w/ me on the table. One waiter recognised the toy and asked me if it was MP Bumblebee, then told me that he was a casual collector of Masterpieces; and yeah, exactly like you said, he prefers the TakaraTOMY black boxes over Hasbro's, as he perceives them as being more "legitimate." MP Wheeljack and Bumblebee seem to be strong sellers, while Hasbro MPs like Prowl, Sunstorm, Prowl and Grimlock are shelfwarming (at least in TRUs that I've been going to).

I wonder why we didn't see this level of enthusiasm for previous Japanese imported MPs such as MP2 Ultra Magnus, MP4 Convoy Perfect Ed., and the mother of all MP shelfwarmers, Ghost Starscream. Could it be that MPs have become more popular since the MP10?
    I have to agree with Paul, my local Target sold out of MP4 the day it went on sale and sold out of more than half before the sale started. I was lucky there were any left on the evening before the sale and was able to pick up at the sale price.

Magnus, well, it's just a white repaint. nice but still just a white repaint.
    the Ghost Starscream was just ridiculously overpriced. I get the impression TRU and Hasbro AU might have woken up a little to the Australian collector market since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Fair point. Hasbro Optimus Primes sold well here too, and Hasbro's MP Starscream flew off shelves (no pun intended) at my local TRU. MP Grimlock, Soundwave, MP10, Thundercracker (I could never even find him in stores!) and Acid Storm were also strong sellers. But then again, those toys weren't overpriced like MP Prowl is (and MP Sunstorm and Grimlock are also dearer than their previous counterparts' AU RRP). Then again, the local MP Rodimus shelf warmed here, even after the price was reduced to as low as $80 or even $60 at one stage.

Perhaps it's a combination of several factors that's helping to move Wheeljack and Bumble, including:
    * Exotic Japanese packaging
    * Quick release. Wheeljack and Bumble were both released shortly after they came out in Japan.
    I agree, the packaging probably helps a lot, but then the size of the Hasbro MP boxes would imply that the toy is a lot larger and worth the price point, but only to someone not familiar with the Takara release.
    Rodimus was also without the trailer, if they had packed him with his trailer, I'd have probably happily dropped $150 on him. I waited for the sale price on the hot rod MP myself because I knew it was coming and wanted to save the $20-$40 . the collector news sights and podcasts generally gave bad reviews of the fragility of the Rodimus as well which certainly would have put a lot of people off. I am still wondering how I'm going to get a legit MP Rodimus Prime without selling off my wifes Kidneys.

The quick release of the more recent MP's has to have helped as well.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I got Rodimus when it dropped down to $80... only to see it drop down to $60. IMO $60~80 is a reasonable price for that toy. Sure beats paying $99 for an Age of Extinction Leader Class toy.

I only ever saw 2 MP 02 on the shelves and they were at at Target Miranda Fair. I grabbed one while the other one was missing a head.

MP-04 Raced off the shelves at Target Tuggeranong and other Targets in ACT.

The only MP that I have seen shelf warm was MP-03 Ghost Starscream and that was at Toys R Us Majura and that sat there for about 12 months but they wanted $199.

I have always struggled to get MPs in Australia. I know that most of the workers at Toys R Us at Majura buy all of the MPs before they even hit the shelf.