Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Construction Materials

Default Seeking Construction Materials

Perhaps this could be a useful thread for people to post in when they need help finding certain materials?

I'm looking for thin sheet plastic exactly half an inch wide. It only needs to be thin, 1mm or so. Could anyone suggest where I could find something like that? I'm looking for about 1 meter of it.

Cheers guys.

My local hobby shop had styrene which is great for customs, and it is sold in various thicknesses, but it tends to come in pieces about A4 sized. It would be easy enough to cut into strips 1/2 an inch wide, but you would have several shorter lengths rather that a full metre strip. It's reasonably cheap. I'm curious as to what you have in mind - care to share? Best of luck regardless!

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

A left-field cheaper but dodgier option is scoring a big plastic tub with a stanley knife into the strips you need. Have a good think whether this lower grade plastic is sufficient enough for your purposes (as we don't exactly know them).
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Quote Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
    Perhaps this could be a useful thread for people to post in when they need help finding certain materials?

I'm looking for thin sheet plastic exactly half an inch wide. It only needs to be thin, 1mm or so. Could anyone suggest where I could find something like that? I'm looking for about 1 meter of it.

Cheers guys.
    If you cant find something in hobby shops you might want to hit up some plastic suppliers/manufacturers

Below are some Sydney based ones I am sure there are Melbourne equivalents

All Sale Plastic

Plastix

below has a Melbourne contact:

The Plastic Factory
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    If you cant find something in hobby shops you might want to hit up some plastic suppliers/manufacturers
    Good advice. If you ring around some plastic fabricators they may have offcuts or other bits they can spare you.

I know Alternative Plastics in North Melbourne doesn't mind people trawling through their skips out the front for offcuts, you should go during business hours though to be safe as I think they lock their gates.

Those are some great ideas, thanks guys! Thanks for the links Sharky.

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    My local hobby shop had styrene which is great for customs, and it is sold in various thicknesses, but it tends to come in pieces about A4 sized. It would be easy enough to cut into strips 1/2 an inch wide, but you would have several shorter lengths rather that a full metre strip. It's reasonably cheap. I'm curious as to what you have in mind - care to share? Best of luck regardless!
    That styrene might be just the thing... I'll have to pick up an exacto knife at the same time. This particular request was actually about putting together a model Millennium Falcon. I have the old ERTL mould with huge thick side walls I'm going to try & replace for accuracy.

Hey guys.

I'm still on the look out for plastic strips. I found what I'm looking for online HERE but would prefer to buy locally (Melbourne, or at least Australia) if possible. If anyone knows a place I'd greatly appreciate it.

I am looking for thicker foil than the one you use on food to make corrugated iron for a diorama.
    Everyone says like the foil on top of yoghurt but I need it in silver and sheets.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurmus View Post
    I am looking for thicker foil than the one you use on food to make corrugated iron for a diorama.
    Everyone says like the foil on top of yoghurt but I need it in silver and sheets.

Thanks in advance.
    Just spitballing, but would corrugated cardboard with a flat side peeled off and the corrugations painted silver suit your needs?
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I had contemplated that but I don't think I could do it without trashing it.