Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Generations Combiners & group reviews/comments

A group comparison

Superion is feeling just a tad lonely and outgunned atm...

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    A group comparison

Quality over quantity. Superion has a winning record against all those combiners.

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    A group comparison

All the Con combiners are like "pfft, did you have to strap guns to your thighs to make up for not doing enough squats?"

Except for Bruticus hiding in the back, hoping people don't notice how retarded he looks...

One thing Ive noticed/missed on these CW figures is a complete lack of transparent plastics. It's not so bad on the Aerialbots, but some light piping would have been nice. However the total lack of actual windows on the Stunticons/Optimus Prime is kinda sad. It's not like Breakdown, Dead End or to a lesser extent, Off Road, couldn't have had at least their front windows transparent. They're a single piece on Dead End/Breakdown...

Ah well, I guess some sacrifices had to be made for the combiner factor - thiugh anyone else think Drag Strip's eyes would have been awesome if light piped?

Personally, I'm happy to see the end of light piping if it means more money back into paint apps or offsetting a price rise, which are bigger selling points to kids and collectors... as the expense of designing, sculpting and moulding a head made up of three tightly fitting parts, to really only accommodate a lesser-selling gimmick that few collectors "use" more than a few times against a light source, and even fewer kids (who would still be the recipient of most GEN toys) would give more than a single look at when they get it, if they even notice it.
    Sure, it's a nifty gimmick and I don't want to knock anyone who actually prefers it on toys, but it is more like an easter egg (like any hidden sculpted details) to just us older collectors who aren't a significant factor to Hasbro... so is that expense getting Hasbro any real return, from people who will only buy a toy with light piping, or won't buy one that has extra paint apps at the expense of no light piping.

Translucent windows on the other hand, is one thing I do like to see if it can work with the design of the toy (parts or panels that aren't impacted by the transformation), and can be painted to match the solid plastic colours if the window is part of a larger panel of the toy... because those are like paint-apps, which helps sell the toy based on its appearance at the store or online before you decide to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Personally, I'm happy to see the end of light piping if it means more money back into paint apps or offsetting a price rise, which are bigger selling points to kids and collectors... as the expense of designing, sculpting and moulding a head made up of three tightly fitting parts, to really only accommodate a lesser-selling gimmick that few collectors "use" more than a few times against a light source, and even fewer kids (who would still be the recipient of most GEN toys) would give more than a single look at when they get it, if they even notice it.
    Sure, it's a nifty gimmick and I don't want to knock anyone who actually prefers it on toys, but it is more like an easter egg (like any hidden sculpted details) to just us older collectors who aren't a significant factor to Hasbro... so is that expense getting Hasbro any real return, from people who will only buy a toy with light piping, or won't buy one that has extra paint apps at the expense of no light piping.

Translucent windows on the other hand, is one thing I do like to see if it can work with the design of the toy (parts or panels that aren't impacted by the transformation), and can be painted to match the solid plastic colours if the window is part of a larger panel of the toy... because those are like paint-apps, which helps sell the toy based on its appearance at the store or online before you decide to buy it.
    IMHO, light-piped eyes can go jump. On most collector's shelves they don't even work anyway due to the lack of overhead light. I started painting all my Bots and Con's eyes a loooong time ago, so it saves me work when Hasbro doesn't do it...!

I really hope we see this redeco from Hasbro, as the Leader Megatron looks great in a Gen2 deco.

valid points about the light piping, I guess I'm just a little nostalgic for the G1.5/G2 figures I used to have i the early 90s - neon pinks, purples, greens...

I guess it comes down to what was common when you first got into the toyline, so for many the lightpiping would be missed if dropped.

I finally caved in and bought the Aerialbots from Target and TRU because I couldn't resist waiting for my Superion. I've even pre-ordered Takara's Superion!

Well, I have lots of duplicate Grimlocks, why not Superion?