Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Hong Kong

HK is somewhere I want to go back to, as is Japan, but my trip was only intended to be a quick 2-3 day recon of the areas I visited (HK, Osaka, Tokyo) to better plan out a decent trip later... and since I got sick in HK, I lost one of my three days there, which meant I didn't get to see or eat as much as I was planning. (the plan was to spend the third day on HK island for the toy stores there, so is something for next time)
    As for the franchise fast food places like KFC - yeah, there wasn't any real desire to eat it for enjoyment, but more to see how it was so "eastern-ised", and had to report back to those here who would be familiar with the Brand, who would be amazed at how different it was.
    The other thing is that I wasn't too keen to try a place without someone I trust letting me know that it was safe/clean... especially after that bad reaction on the second night to something I ate.

Let me know when you come back through and I'll take you for safe/good food and a trip around some of the HK Island stores as I live right next to Causeway Bay.

I understand the quirky curiosity about the Asian-ised food chains. I had 2 cousins come over last year and they purposely ordered Mcdonalds delivered to their hotel for the novelty value of it. They raved about it for ages. LOL
    The other thing they couldn't get over were the shopping mall car parks. I drove them to a mall and they spent over an hour looking and taking photos of all the cars before we even got into the mall - Lambo's Ferrari's, Porsche, Lotus, etc (a green version of Stinger lives up the hill from us). I guess I've been here so long I just take it for granted. It's only when my son will go "check it out mum - it's Stinger, It's Soundwave" do I take notice.

I sometimes blog about some of the crazy here because it is so hard for people back home in AU and NZ to understand... I often wonder how I will adjust when I eventually return to the normality of Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    HK is somewhere I want to go back to, as is Japan, but my trip was only intended to be a quick 2-3 day recon of the areas I visited (HK, Osaka, Tokyo) to better plan out a decent trip later... and since I got sick in HK, I lost one of my three days there, which meant I didn't get to see or eat as much as I was planning. (the plan was to spend the third day on HK island for the toy stores there, so is something for next time)
    As for the franchise fast food places like KFC - yeah, there wasn't any real desire to eat it for enjoyment, but more to see how it was so "eastern-ised", and had to report back to those here who would be familiar with the Brand, who would be amazed at how different it was.
    The other thing is that I wasn't too keen to try a place without someone I trust letting me know that it was safe/clean... especially after that bad reaction on the second night to something I ate.

Bladestorm, where / which is the Wanchai market that you are referring to that has the TF toy stores?

I was in HK last year and Wanchai market wasn't on my "shopping list".

Would appreciate it if you could clarify. I googled Wanchai market and it seems to be a wet-market/and a lot of the stores are gone? or is this outdated information?

Wan Chai Market has 2 sections - the wet market, which is a cultural experience unto itself, and the local goods market (sometimes referred to as the toy market because of all the toy stores).
    Both markets are connected. Combined they cover several roads, however the toy market only covers one road which is easily accessed when you either get off the Tram or exit the MTR (I think Exit A3. I go there on autopilot so don't take much notice). Edit: Ok - looked it up - Tai Yuen St is the name of the lane the toy market is on and A3 is definitely the MTR exit to use.
    There are 8 to 10 toy stores lining the market behind the street stalls. Of those only about 4 are worthwhile visiting for Transformers, and one does a mix of fake and real so I am always dubious about recommending it. The rest tend to be legitimate sellers (but I always caution people to check just out of principle). Freeway Toys - the most expensive of the lot - is definitely officially licensed direct from Hasbro to sell Transformers/Star Wars etc as I've had heated discussions with them about their prices and they claim they stick to Hasbro's RRP because if a Hasbro rep comes visiting they could loose their distribution.

Wan Chai also has 2 shopping mall style places to visit with stores that sell a mix of computer/console/anime/bb-gun stuff, and there is also an Animate (which is also in Sino) that sometimes has few items not found in the other stores... They had Tak-Tomy Jetfire for HK$425 which is the cheapest I've seen him so far.

If any of you boys are popping over, let me know and I'm more than happy to show you around if I'm free. I live on HK Island but I do go over to the dark side (aka Kowloon) a fair bit as I deal with Kidslogic and Herocross...

Quote Originally Posted by primetime View Post
    Bladestorm, where / which is the Wanchai market that you are referring to that has the TF toy stores?

I was in HK last year and Wanchai market wasn't on my "shopping list".

Would appreciate it if you could clarify. I googled Wanchai market and it seems to be a wet-market/and a lot of the stores are gone? or is this outdated information?

Many thanks for the detailed explanation Bladestorm will definitely check WanChai on my next HK trip.

Out of curiosity why do you refer to Kowloon as the "dark side"?!

Ahh, I looked this up a bit more - I know Tai Yuen St - it was already on my list just didn't go there as I thought it was mostly "kids" bric brac type toys there are some TFs but I was more into the Sino/Richmond/CTMA/Ins point type places.

Kowloon is known as the dark side because if you live on HK Island you need to 'use the force' to get there... LOL
    It's a Hong Kong colloquial term as Kowloon is often a mysterious, tempting, sometimes hostile place and in many ways quite different to Hong Kong Island. It may be a legacy of the seedy old Walled City days, but I'm not sure. It's just a term those of us who live here use when referring to Kowloon. Unfortunately I can't think of an Oz equivalent for it. People who live in Kowloon refer to themselves as living on "the dark side". Those of us who live on HK Island refer to visiting Kowloon as going to "the dark side".

Sino/CTMA, Ins Point are definitely where to go if your agenda is the 3P stuff.
    3P is less common and slightly more expensive in most places on the island.
    Tak-Tomy/Hasbro stuff is slightly cheaper (at the moment) on the HK side...

Quote Originally Posted by primetime View Post
    Many thanks for the detailed explanation Bladestorm will definitely check WanChai on my next HK trip.

Out of curiosity why do you refer to Kowloon as the "dark side"?!

Ahh, I looked this up a bit more - I know Tai Yuen St - it was already on my list just didn't go there as I thought it was mostly "kids" bric brac type toys there are some TFs but I was more into the Sino/Richmond/CTMA/Ins point type places.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladestorm View Post
    Kowloon is known as the dark side because if you live on HK Island you need to 'use the force' to get there... LOL
    It's a Hong Kong colloquial term as Kowloon is often a mysterious, tempting, sometimes hostile place and in many ways quite different to Hong Kong Island. It may be a legacy of the seedy old Walled City days, but I'm not sure. It's just a term those of us who live here use when referring to Kowloon. Unfortunately I can't think of an Oz equivalent for it. People who live in Kowloon refer to themselves as living on "the dark side". Those of us who live on HK Island refer to visiting Kowloon as going to "the dark side".
    Naw, I think it's just that some HK islanders are too lazy to go to the Kowloon and New Territories side. The 'furthest' some of my friends are willing to go to is Causeway Bay. ;p

That's so true Sam. I have friends who live in Pok Fum Lam who think going to Causeway Bay is like going from Sydney to Wollongong! (For those who don't know Pok fu lam is about 10 km drive from Causeway Bay).

People think I am crazy trekking all over HK and Kowloon all the time but this city has some amazing sights off the beaten track on both sides of the harbour that are worth the effort.

btw: for those visiting soon I was in the big Toys R Us in Tsim Sha Tsui (Ocean Terminal/Harbourside) today and the current stock are as follows: loads of MP Grimlock (HK$1199) and Sunstorm (HK$799). Loads of then and now Grimlock. A few Linkin Park Soundwaves. Quite a few Barnyard Battle sets (still on sale for HK$599), a ridiculously large number of Slog and a few AoE Grimlocks. A sparse collection of various Combiner Wars and a few remnant AoE figures, some of the RID one step changers and not much else...

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Naw, I think it's just that some HK islanders are too lazy to go to the Kowloon and New Territories side. The 'furthest' some of my friends are willing to go to is Causeway Bay. ;p

This is a great thread and having done mass toy hunting trips over there a few times in the last couple of years I agree with Bladestorm, unfortunately In's Point has a lot of KO MP's now being sold at original prices, and Original G1 items have skyrocketed.
    One place I found and would recommend beyond anything else is Toyzone, it is on HD's guide but is a ripper (hard) to find when you see the front of what looks like (is) an industrial high rise.
    They deal in all things awesome, lots of second hand toys, biiiig section of Transformers from all era's. Plenty of 3p stuff and much much more. And!! (there's more) as was my case I had already filled my bags with other TF buys I asked if they could send it home to Aus, no worries, they boxed it up for me there and I paid the postage price with the purchase. They were really helpful and you could tell they were people who loved their job.
    The address is:
    Flat B, 4th floor Wah Ha Factory Building, 8 Shipyard Lane, Quarry Bay. The nearest MTR is Tai Koo exit A1.
    Bladestorm I'm heading over later in the year so might be good to have a catch up.

I need to go to Toyzone. Shamefully that's the one place I've never ventured and it is literally 2 MTR stops away from me. My fear is if I walk in there I will want (NEED) to spend thousands of dollars as I've heard of a lot of people doing exactly what you did... and I live locally so the temptation would be too great! (Hubby has restricted my budget for TF's for this year already LOL)

For those of you visiting soon I was over in Mong Kok last week and here's a brief rundown of what is there as of January 2015:
    CDMA - Superman Toys had Revoltech Optimus, Cloud Brawn and Magnificus (insane prices though) as well as Fewture Optimus and Grimlock. Be warned though these guys don't seem to stock Transformers regularly so finding stuff here is hit and miss.
    CDMA - Hot Toys was the ONLY store that had MP Ultra-Magnus in their Toy Hunter Store for HK$1080 (everywhere else if you see him, it is their already sold pre-order stock).

Sino Plaza
    Basement level - Animate had a few Tak-Tomy Transformers, DMK-03 (for HK$548) as well as MP's like Soundblaster, Streak, Prowl, Bumblebee and some Generations stuff but it is hidden on the back window of the store only visible by walking around the OUTSIDE of their shop.
    Shop 115 was the only shop in Sino/In's Point/CDMA with YOTG Optimus (HK$838) and Soundwave (HK$938).

I'm gunna write some of this up on my blog, but in brief here are a few shops if you'd rather go direct to places than toy browse every store.

In's Point (don't bother heading here until after 4 pm as that's when many stores open and a couple don't open until 5 pm) Shop numbers are displayed on a sign sticking out above each door.

Shop 109 had DMK-03 for HK$520 (cheapest I've seen in HK outside of sales)
    Also had MP Bumblebee for HK$430 (but no coin or face mask)

Shop 137 (check boxes as some items are used but that is only written in Chinese).
    Shop 122A
    Shop 127 - Tokyo Station (opens LATE)
    Shop 145 - Lots of Masterpiece Cars and older release Hasbro and Tak-Tomy Transformers
    Shop 201 - It's just a display shop but so worth stopping to appreciate the TF's behind the glass.
    Shop 236 - Lots of Encore, Red Bape MP-10 (HK$1480), Grey Bape MP-10 - really pricey though (and I was unable to check whether real/fake). Encore Optimus was HK$2280.
    Shop 277 - Reasonable prices, most on display in the windows.
    Shop 255 - Calibre Toys limited edition individually numbered Optimus Prime (HK$8000) and Bumblebee.
    Shop 236 - Sporadic range of TF's (opens LATE)
    Shop 268 - Transformers galore (only open 5 pm to 9 pm)
    Shop 275A - Second hand and old Transformers
    Shop 221 - Older transformers - including a heftily priced 20th anniversary Optimus Prime.
    Shop 217 - worth visiting to appreciate the window display alone. Transformers heaven but prices range from reasonable to WTF depending on product (opens from 5 pm)
    Shop 207 - had Revoltech Optimus (peterbilt robot mode) for HK$230 which was the cheapest I saw on the day.

Hope this helps some of you.

There was quite a lot of stock in In's Point this time around however I did come across "opened" figures being sold mint in box and a couple of fakes (owners claiming Tak-Tomy had changed their packaging - pfft) so as I always caution - check the integrity and authenticity of the item before you buy.

I'm happy to offer "on the ground" updates about what I'm finding here in HK if anyone is ever interested. If any of you are ever coming to town and have time to catch up do let me know - If I'm free I'm more than happy to meet up, show you around, take you to safe food (or at least recommend places), abuse shop owners who try to rip you off in my limited Cantonese.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfire in the sky View Post
    This is a great thread and having done mass toy hunting trips over there a few times in the last couple of years I agree with Bladestorm, unfortunately In's Point has a lot of KO MP's now being sold at original prices, and Original G1 items have skyrocketed.
    One place I found and would recommend beyond anything else is Toyzone, it is on HD's guide but is a ripper (hard) to find when you see the front of what looks like (is) an industrial high rise.
    They deal in all things awesome, lots of second hand toys, biiiig section of Transformers from all era's. Plenty of 3p stuff and much much more. And!! (there's more) as was my case I had already filled my bags with other TF buys I asked if they could send it home to Aus, no worries, they boxed it up for me there and I paid the postage price with the purchase. They were really helpful and you could tell they were people who loved their job.
    The address is:
    Flat B, 4th floor Wah Ha Factory Building, 8 Shipyard Lane, Quarry Bay. The nearest MTR is Tai Koo exit A1.
    Bladestorm I'm heading over later in the year so might be good to have a catch up.