Thread: Updates to Userguide/Rules

Default Updates to Userguide/Rules

A couple of decent updates to the second post of the Userguide, that makes it worth noting/announcing.

A query about selling Knock Offs had me checking the Userguide to find that it wasn't specifically stated as prohibited, but is technically covered by the Rule that prohibited illegal activity here... which counterfeit (Knock Off) toys are.
    It was also noted in the other Rule that referred to Unauthorised items, that Knock Offs could only be referred to in a limited manner, which would imply that selling them here is not acceptable. (which I think most people already assumed from our limited tolerance of them here)

As such, I've reworded Rule 17 and 18, and swapped them around to make more sense in that order. Both Rules now note that the sale of Knock Offs should not be done on this site, and if you need to sell them, it must be done through some other means or site.
    This is NOT a change to the ownership of Knock Offs, in that you are free to do whatever you like with them (buy them, own them, sell them), as long this site isn't used to facilitate it.
    I just don't want to risk having Hasbro, or any other proprietary owner or license holder, see this site as a source of Knock Offs, and shut us down or prosecute us for it.

After that, I gave each rule a bold title, to make it easier to find something, and easier to read... as it was starting to look like a boring wall of text, which can put off people from even trying to have a read.

So if you have a couple of spare minutes, have a scroll down the second posting of the Userguide (link above), and see if any of the titles attract your eye enough to read.
    (or see if there should be anything to add/remove/adjust/change, which you can post here)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I just don't want to risk having Hasbro, or any other proprietary owner or license holder, see this site as a source of Knock Offs, and shut us down or prosecute us for it.
    Completely agree with you and I have always wondered how TFW get away with it. Their site is pretty much 50/50 when it comes to promoting legit vs KO, so much so that these days it's getting hard to wade through their news page for legitimate Hasbro news / images.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Completely agree with you and I have always wondered how TFW get away with it. Their site is pretty much 50/50 when it comes to promoting legit vs KO, so much so that these days it's getting hard to wade through their news page for legitimate Hasbro news / images.
    I don't see TFW promoting KOs, and usually only see news posts about KOs to alert people of new ones like we do in our KO section.
    They do have lots of news posts of Unauthorised "3rd Party" items by non-license holders, but that's such a grey area, I don't want to start up debate of that again.
    I personally don't like seeing it on their *Transformers* news page, which should be for news of legit or licensed Transformers items... but "3rd Party" are no more "Knock Off" than Hasbro producing a vehicle alt-mode that resembles a real-life vehicle without paying a license fee for it.
    To their credit, Hasbro and TakaraTomy do license a lot of their real-life vehicles, which they easily have found ways around it to save money, but when they produce something we refer to as an "xxxxxx" alt-mode that isn't licensed, it is similar to referring to a 3rd party toy as a "not-xxxxxxx" toy. Everyone knows what it is meant to be, but the producer of the item didn't get licensing or permission first to profit from someone else's investment or design.

So for now, I'll follow Hasbro's lead. If they don't crack down on Unauthorised items, I don't see a reason to do it... but they won't dilute our "Transformers" News and discussion sections. If one of those items was eventually licensed or Authorised by Hasbro, then it can be included in the Transformers sections here.

Megatran Guest

Does this mean members who have KOs currently on their sales thread need to remove them ASAP?

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Does this mean members who have KOs currently on their sales thread need to remove them ASAP?
    They should... I just don't notice them if they aren't in the title. (because I don't look in the Saleyard much)

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I would add that if you spotted such a sale, just report it to admin rather than posting on the sale thread.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    ... but "3rd Party" are no more "Knock Off" than Hasbro producing a vehicle alt-mode that resembles a real-life vehicle without paying a license fee for it.
    If only the squeezers at Harmony Gold woke up to this. (Referring to the recent SDCC debacle and the fact that HG do not OWN, or AFAIK have licensed the likeness of an F-14 Tomcat)