Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345671222 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 483

Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

  1. #11
    Join Date
    27th Jan 2008
    Location
    Innisfail
    Posts
    1,043

    Default

    So in summary, when he was released I imported MP Megatron with no permits.

    As I'm in Qld, am I now able to take him out of his box and display him?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    24th May 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    32,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Burn View Post
    So in summary, when he was released I imported MP Megatron with no permits.

    As I'm in Qld, am I now able to take him out of his box and display him?
    According to the Weapons Licensing Division, you are free to buy, own and display your Megatron toys in your home in QLD (and if you got it into the country without a permit, you don't need to do anything retroactively to make up for it... as you could claim that it was bought domestically).
    Provided you don't use them in a reckless manner... and I'd still recommend not making them too prominent when displaying them, especially if you have any in gun mode, in case you have a burglary, and they are spotted (or recognised) and taken.
    In the states that treat them the same as real weapons, if one is stolen, it should be reported to the police (like if a real one is stolen). So I'd still be recommending that other states report it stolen as well, as your jurisdiction might give it more attention than a regular burglary, in case it gets used later... and they trace it back to you.

    Well, we have it from an official source to confirm it is all legal, which I'll have on file to refer to if there was any dispute about it (until such time that the law changes).

    (and I have my own experience in the last few weeks to get my Gold Megatron from Customs, to refer to as well)


    Speaking of law changes, I got a reply from ACT (just leaves SA to be the last to reply), saying that the current laws are currently being challenged in the Supreme Court, so could be changed in the ACT soon to accommodate a recent ruling... so I guess, watch this space if you are in the ACT.

    A decision was handed down in the Supreme Court recently that will affect the answer to your questions. That decision is being appealed by the DPP and failing a satisfactory outcome, the legislation will be changed to reflect the intention of the current legislation.
    .

  3. #13
    Join Date
    24th May 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    32,736

    Default

    Got a reply from SA Firearms Branch... which reads more like a guess or interpretation than quoting from any source.

    My understanding of the item you have mentioned and what pictures were available on the internet I am confident that the item would be classed as a children’s toy and therefore exempt for the firearm regulatory process.
    There would be no licence requirement to possess, buy or sell.
    Importation is controlled by the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service but there would be no objection to importation by SA police.
    I hope this answers your questions.
    If that is true, it means that it should be free to import... and if Customs seize it, call them up and tell them that the SA Police have no objection to its importation.
    (after reading through any paperwork Customs sends you)

  4. #14
    CoRDS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member
    Join Date
    18th Jul 2014
    Location
    act
    Posts
    672

    Default

    cmon ACT give me the go ahead and i'll order one in a heartbeat.

    otherwise i keep having to have no megatron at all and that's sad

  5. #15
    Join Date
    24th May 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    32,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Got a reply from SA Firearms Branch... which reads more like a guess or interpretation than quoting from any source.

    If that is true, it means that it should be free to import... and if Customs seize it, call them up and tell them that the SA Police have no objection to its importation.
    (after reading through any paperwork Customs sends you)
    I asked about what happens if Customs seizes it in South Australia, and got this as a reply...

    The B709 form is issued by SAPOL on application and having been approved.
    An email will do as an application.
    If an item is seized by customs email me with the details and I will have a look at it.
    However I am hopeful that Customs will not seize these items.
    I'll add all these details into the first post... with the ACT section left with a note of not being known at this time.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    30th May 2011
    Location
    Townsville
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    Can this thread be made a sticky please Griffin, it is a great reference and I commend you for doing it. Should it go in this section plus the Matrix Resource guide too?
    The later it gets, the less sense I will make (usually anything beyond 19:30 Qld time).

  7. #17
    Join Date
    24th May 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    32,736

    Default

    It will be stickied when it is completed.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    12th Jun 2011
    Location
    Gladstone
    Posts
    4,608

    Default

    Question for importing. If a MP Megatron 2.0 was released and I wanted to import from Japan, can I get the required form ok'd in advance by the QPS or do I have to wait till Customs has the toy?

  9. #19
    Join Date
    24th May 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    32,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Question for importing. If a MP Megatron 2.0 was released and I wanted to import from Japan, can I get the required form ok'd in advance by the QPS or do I have to wait till Customs has the toy?
    You can apply for a permit before or after, and if you have it in advance it is best.
    And then IF Customs seize it, you can go straight there to pick it up... if you are in the same city as to where it is seized.

    But you can authorise someone to pick it up on your behalf with the permit, and post it onto you.

    I'll ask to see if you can fax the permit to them, and if they can drop it back into the mail... but I have a feeling that the original permit (not a copy or fax) has to be surrendered to them, and I also feel that they don't want to be the ones responsible for posting "weapons" in the mail... even if they don't require a permit after importation is approved.

    Probably what might be required (IF they find it and hold it in Brisbane), is a permit (in advance if possible), and then post the permit to someone you will authorised to Customs to collect it (when you call them up with the seizure reference number), and that person then posts it onto you.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    12th Jun 2011
    Location
    Gladstone
    Posts
    4,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    You can apply for a permit before or after, and if you have it in advance it is best.
    And then IF Customs seize it, you can go straight there to pick it up... if you are in the same city as to where it is seized.

    But you can authorise someone to pick it up on your behalf with the permit, and post it onto you.

    I'll ask to see if you can fax the permit to them, and if they can drop it back into the mail... but I have a feeling that the original permit (not a copy or fax) has to be surrendered to them, and I also feel that they don't want to be the ones responsible for posting "weapons" in the mail... even if they don't require a permit after importation is approved.

    Probably what might be required (IF they find it and hold it in Brisbane), is a permit (in advance if possible), and then post the permit to someone you will authorised to Customs to collect it (when you call them up with the seizure reference number), and that person then posts it onto you.
    Same city hey, that's an issue since tracking for all my orders from Japan say they go through Sydney. HK orders sometimes go through Brisbane but even that's an issue since I'm 500km north of the CBD of Brisbane. Might still have to buy from an Aussie seller in that case.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •