Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Okay... that should now be as much as I can do now, until the ACT procedures are finalised.
    There is a little confusion over the NT section in terms of the legal classification of these toys, but since you can't do anything online to register or apply for permits anyway, it has been noted that you need to contact the Firearms Division regardless of what we know or can do.
    NSW also took some time to update as it now looks like the old P638 Prohibited Weapons Permit no longer applies, and that the P634 Firearms Permit does. Both have the same requirements like storage and Club membership, and both have their fee waived (but you might need to remind them of it if asked for payment), and both are 5-year permits.
    One thing I need to check now is if the Megatron Club is still active, for collectors to use in order to have their Permit fee waived.

The topic was pinned, and I will look at producing a website page for it on our site, so that it isn't just on this messageboard as if it is just for Ozformers members.

Should this thread go into "The Matrix" section of the boards?
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Eventually.

Forgot to post in here when I first joined. I got my import permit relatively easy from the WA Police. Had a good chat to the officer as well. Valid for 6 months. I got my Megatron without it though.

A couple of things from this week could see a change in weapons laws in Australia.

A 24 year old man brandished a imitation gun in the Townsville army base (probably the stupidest place to wave around a gun of any sort, and was lucky to not be shot by security... but replica/imitation weapons are on the news at the moment, at a time when Federal gun laws are being reviewed.

Legislation could be entered into federal parliament soon to have a mandatory 5 year jail term for people caught smuggling "weapons" into Australia.
    It might be aimed at real weapons, but if they don't include a paragraph to differentiate imitation weapons from real ones, any new penalties or import requirements could apply to imitation weapons like Megatron.
    We'll just have to wait and see what the legislation has in it, or if it makes it through both houses of parliament.

If the law is worded as weapon then it covers more than just firearms. It will most likely be worded as firearm, and if it includes imitation/replica firearm then that will need to be specified.
    I think if the federal Government is making this law and it applies to the importation of imitation/replica firearms then for the states they might have to (if it applies) issue importation licenses for imitation firearms, then from there the local state laws may/should apply.
    Importation and ownership laws are two different things.

I am speculating here and only time will tell.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Another person arrested for carrying a replica/imitation handgun in a public place... and it was in the Sydney CBD at Martin Place. (he was later charged with other offences that included robberies, but it doesn't say if the replica weapon was used for them)

The more people found with these in public, the tighter future laws will be for us who respect the law enough to keep them at home.