Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Next two Masterpiece toys for Australia

apparently now goktimus prime is an 'egomaniac fan inserting his preference where it doesn't belong rather than just doing a straight translation like he should have, on a product few people will see' lol!

all ridiculousness aside, can I ask 2 questions:

- why not do an 'out of-universe style' bio explaining the background of the character from the japanese series and his heritage/origins or whatever? that might solve the non-anglo issue and still stay true to the original incarnation.

- did you actually do a straight translation and write it down? maybe it will help ease the butt hurt haha

Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    all ridiculousness aside, can I ask 2 questions:

- why not do an 'out of-universe style' bio explaining the background of the character from the japanese series and his heritage/origins or whatever? that might solve the non-anglo issue and still stay true to the original incarnation.
    There just isn't space for it. The bio only occupies less than half of page 2.

Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    - did you actually do a straight translation and write it down? maybe it will help ease the butt hurt haha
    I haven't, but I still have a copy of the original Japanese bio, so a translation is still possible. Remember that I did do an adapted Westernised bio for MP22 Ultra Magnus, and later posted a direct translation of his Japanese bio as well - so I will be posting a translation of Star Sabre's bio too. But not for all those rude self-entitled demanding so-and-so's, but for the rest of you who've been encouraging, supportive and understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

I haven't, but I still have a copy of the original Japanese bio, so a translation is still possible. Remember that I did do an adapted Westernised bio for MP22 Ultra Magnus, and later posted a direct translation of his Japanese bio as well - so I will be posting a translation of Star Sabre's bio too. But not for all those rude self-entitled demanding so-and-so's, but for the rest of you who've been encouraging, supportive and understanding.
    It's spelled STARSABER Kelvin, make sure you get it right.

Also make sure you are grateful for your opportunity. Calling the community rude and self entitled is almost as bad as bagging out in public the one who got you this opportunity. (If you haven't read his Mayan v Latin rant, maybe it should have been placed here)

You also bag out hasbro, complain about the gifts you receive.... A humble person would have refused something if you really didn't want it....

And while researching, maybe you should read ful details of non-disclosure agreements.... Most of your pre-announcement teasing is probably going against it...

Why am I ranting here? Because you don't take anyone's comments on board! And then insult us! Don't change things just because you want too. Stick to what's established, and ok, maybe throw in a subtle link like cloud shockwaves Astro magnum gun (takaratomy classy work) rather than your crude, frankly pathetic attempts at mottos and characterisation (stinger) and " I"m right the world is wrong" arrogance (Magnus history changes, STARSABER name)

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post

(snip)

I think he's explained the reason for the choice of bio enough, and it could have gone either way - neither is wrong. And at only 400 copies, with probably only a dozen going to members here because of the price, why is it an issue to those who aren't going to even buy this to get the booklet anyway.
    And who here would have bought this $300 toy instead of importing it for under $200, if it was announced that it was going to be a straight translation of the Japanese character, or had no latin.
    It was a tight window to do, and no one else would have been able to do the project in that time frame who is in Sydney and has fairly fluent Japanese and greater knowledge of Japanese Transformers, Hasbro Transformers, and IDW comics (which is the only contemporary story usage of Gen1 Transformers for a complete western bio of Masterpiece toys that were Hasbro characters before Star Saber came along - who is likely to be the exception)

Fans dream of this sort of opportunity to work on the Brand (which is why we have a lot of fans now in IDW and Hasbro), so let him have his moment as long as he remains humble about it... and it's not like Goktimus rewrote the bio with info that was completely original or made up.
    People on the US fansites are getting their knickers in a knot over something that changes nothing, and was chosen to be more in line with the rest of the limited edition Australian bio/instruction booklets... booklets that the fans complaining will never see or collect.
    If this was something on Hasbro America packaging that most countries around the world would have to be stuck with, then there would be an entitlement to complain... but still, who has cared about Hasbro packaging bios since Armada when they started throwing in random character traits and techspec numbers, or just so brief and vague that it's ignored by most anyway.
    I remember how well done the Gen1 bio cards were done, that most of us old time collectors would read and remember the traits of the characters as kids, and know what they were like before we even saw them in a cartoon or comic.

As for the spelling of the name, the boss has spoken...

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    [mod] Guys can we skip the spelling thing. Not saying Gok's wrong or right - but given that Hasbro gave us Scattor I think this is a petty thing to get worked up about.[/mod]
    The name on the box is all that matters anyway, and it remains the same on the Japanese booklet. The Australian booklet is just a novelty bonus that can be thrown in the bin and not remove anything from the toy - it would still be "complete" with all the rest of the items in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

ah ok cheers.

the character and toy mean nothing to me so i don't really care about any of this personally and i think it's been blown out of proportion to a stupid level but in a way i can kind of see where some people are coming from. i think it could be seen as similar to how changes to star wars are seen by people to change the nature of characters and the universe such as han shooting first and the introduction of midichlorians.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post

Also make sure you are grateful for your opportunity. Calling the community rude and self entitled is almost as bad as bagging out in public the one who got you this opportunity. (If you haven't read his Mayan v Latin rant, maybe it should have been placed here)

You also bag out hasbro, complain about the gifts you receive.... A humble person would have refused something if you really didn't want it....

And while researching, maybe you should read ful details of non-disclosure agreements.... Most of your pre-announcement teasing is probably going against it...

Why am I ranting here? Because you don't take anyone's comments on board! And then insult us! Don't change things just because you want too. Stick to what's established, and ok, maybe throw in a subtle link like cloud shockwaves Astro magnum gun (takaratomy classy work) rather than your crude, frankly pathetic attempts at mottos and characterisation (stinger) and " I"m right the world is wrong" arrogance (Magnus history changes, STARSABER name)
    Not sure if serious...

If you are, then let me know and then I'll rebutt, but if you're being sarcastic, like I hope, then all is good.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Wow... people are still complaining.

Jealousy is a Bee-otch
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

This is going to be a long one. should also use AKA if this is the case.
    Nah not worth going into debate, I am just going to love the toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Not sure if serious...

If you are, then let me know and then I'll rebutt, but if you're being sarcastic, like I hope, then all is good.
    This is why the board has smilies/emoticons to prevent confusion when one is being sarcastic or has is referring to something that only a close few know about as a private joke... because text on its own can be misinterpreted, as you can't read body-language.

Krayt is right though, the translation of the Japanese bio should use the Takara spelling of the name.

(And a bio of the MTMTE character should also use the spelling for their name used in MTMTE, but that's none of my business)