Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFA Gradings.

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Default AFA Gradings.

1) Is there anywhere in Australia we can get this (or something similar) done?

2) Do any of our esteemed members own any AFA graded Tfs?

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Just really curious at the moment.
    I do have one or two of my own figs I wouldn't mind seeing get the treatment though.

I have several AFA graded toys, with a couple more incoming..

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDigger View Post
    1) Is there anywhere in Australia we can get this (or something similar) done?
    Yes, you can submit them to AFA if you're an Australian. Its slightly more expensive for the shipping, but well worth it for vintage G1 toys.

2) Do any of our esteemed members own any AFA graded Tfs?

My pride and joy is the Decepticon Pretender Leader Bludgeon MOSC - STILL WITH UNPUNCHED CARD.

Perhaps someone could explain this a bit more, some of us newbs are unfamiliar with this grading and its purpose. Or if there is another post on this you could direct us too it?
    -----------------------------------------------
    Collecting transformers- a good way to get poor
    Transformer count= too many

Currently in search of:
    G1 goodness

In most cases it's an excellent way to artificially inflate the value of a toy and waste some money on an overpriced plastic case. They're not exactly reliable either, as there are reports of KO's being AFA'd as originals - although I believe that hasn't happened in a long time.

Once it is AFA graded, does that mean the toy is in a plastic case? CAn it be removed from the case once in there?

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    Once it is AFA graded, does that mean the toy is in a plastic case? CAn it be removed from the case once in there?
    It probably could but that kinda defeats the purpose of it... (You might handle it & that could knock it down from a 9.5 to a 9 )

Quote Originally Posted by Vector Sigma 13 View Post
    Perhaps someone could explain this a bit more, some of us newbs are unfamiliar with this grading and its purpose. Or if there is another post on this you could direct us too it?
    AFA grading is a concept a company in America created for toys to try to give a more universal rating of collectables.
    AFA actually stands for 'Action Figure Authority', which is the name of the company, and they rate toys from 5-100 (in multiples of 5) on three elements - Box, Window/Blister, Figure - arriving at an overall (not average) score out of 100.
    People wanting to have a toy AFA graded, post it to AFA, for them to assess it, generate a score, and then seal it in a UV-resistent acrylic box. They then post it back to you, charging you for the grading and shipping.
    A label is stuck to the box with the scores, barcode and its AFA number (which they add to their registry for others to verify).
    More info can be found here at their website:
    http://www.toygrader.com/

At first it was a good way for collectors to have their 'rare' figures rated to a universal system, and sealed in a (protective) case (and still is a good way). But as it became a more accepted, almost official, concept for proving/guaranteeing the quality of older/vintage toys, toy dealers started using it only to improve the resale value of their stock (which wasn't what AFA grading system was started for). Figures on ebay that are AFA graded are usually listed at 5-10 times the price of the same conditioned figure that isn't AFA graded. (not that they sell very often though - but do a search on ebay for 'AFA' and see what completed listings go for).