Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Pros & Cons of Michael Bay - discussion topic

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Isn't the issue with the movies really with the story/plot rather than Michael Bay himself? I mean, I'm sure he has some input into the story but he's only working with what he's been given so shouldn't the writers take the blame for the supposed issues with the movies? I have no issues with the movies myself, granted they are not the most intellectually stimulating films but as a spectacle and as escapist entertainment, they succeed at what they do. Which for the studios, is what they want Michael Bay to do. So I dont see why there is so much hate for the man especially when he's doing exactly what he's been hired to do.
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you

My sales thread: Linky

Quote Originally Posted by Fungal Infection View Post
    Isn't the issue with the movies really with the story/plot rather than Michael Bay himself? I mean, I'm sure he has some input into the story but he's only working with what he's been given so shouldn't the writers take the blame for the supposed issues with the movies? I have no issues with the movies myself, granted they are not the most intellectually stimulating films but as a spectacle and as escapist entertainment, they succeed at what they do. Which for the studios, is what they want Michael Bay to do. So I dont see why there is so much hate for the man especially when he's doing exactly what he's been hired to do.
    We've had some of the best Hollywood writers on the Transformers movies, so scripting shouldn't be an issue. It's how the script is interpreted and modified when setting up individual scenes... particularly by a Director who focuses more on the "money shots" that you'd normally see featured on Trailers or to investors, and then later has to tie them together to make some sense out of why something suddenly happens just for a spectacular visual effect.
    He's a great director for those intense action shots, and has been a pioneer in that field. But he seems to be stubborn about it, in that he doesn't like sacrificing an action shot from his imagination if doesn't fit easily within an existing coherent story. He'd rather sacrifice the logic of the story, to keep his exciting action shots that often appear and disappear without reason.

By the time Bay had his hands on the fourth movie, he had so much creative control... and we saw it from the generic looking robots (that don't have car kibble on them on screen anymore), to about an hour of Trailers released (of all his money shots) that didn't leave anything left unknown when watching the Movie.
    He's so focused on the action of each scene rather than the "bigger picture" of the whole movie - he's like a gardener who focuses more on the individual trees that tickle his fancy instead of the whole forest or garden. Sure, each tree might look spectacular on its own, but the forest makes no sense as a whole, and some trees don't go well with others.

Like I said, he's a great director for action movies and draws in the money to prove it, but he's not a good story director... which is why he's never won any serious awards for his movies, like Oscars, Directors Guild or Emmys.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    He's a great director for those intense action shots, and has been a pioneer in that field. But he seems to be stubborn about it, in that he doesn't like sacrificing an action shot from his imagination if doesn't fit easily within an existing coherent story. He'd rather sacrifice the logic of the story, to keep his exciting action shots that often appear and disappear without reason.
    Look at the chase through the carpark where Marky Mark and Tess and the man with the underage girlfriend drive off the top of the complex and onto a perfectly positioned ramp.

Are we meant to assume he knew it was there? Did he set it up earlier? He mentioned that Tessa was a good team member - had they driven around that abandoned industrial complex before? What is happening? Why does Michael Bay get to keep making movies?
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    Look at the chase through the carpark where Marky Mark and Tess and the man with the underage girlfriend drive off the top of the complex and onto a perfectly positioned ramp.

Are we meant to assume he knew it was there? Did he set it up earlier? He mentioned that Tessa was a good team member - had they driven around that abandoned industrial complex before? What is happening? Why does Michael Bay get to keep making movies?
    not saying that I love bay, I don't care what he does.

but in that scene, before the jump, don't they say something akin to "do the thing.." implying that they were indeed about to do something that they had done before. or was I dreaming it subconsciously to make sense of the scene?

Quote Originally Posted by xlojnr View Post
    not saying that I love bay, I don't care what he does.

but in that scene, before the jump, don't they say something akin to "do the thing.." implying that they were indeed about to do something that they had done before. or was I dreaming it subconsciously to make sense of the scene?
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's implied that they've done that before. The problem is that it's incredibly easy to miss, which is a fault

Quote Originally Posted by Mythirax View Post
    I'm pretty happy if bay does it. I want him to finish what he started. Would love to see shia again as well.
    You got to be trolling right?

I would say he 'finished what he started' by the end of the 3rd movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    remind me to avoid the boards in 2017
    I don't think i can handle another bout of "my childhood, ruined forever!" or "the franchise is down the toilet"
    I don't think anyone really cares that much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Give it time.
    Give it time...

Gee, what a shock
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

remind me to avoid the boards in 2017
    I don't think i can handle another bout of "my childhood, ruined forever!" or "the franchise is down the toilet"
    Totally agree! I like to walk out of the movies thinking of all the positives I saw. I even walked out of ROTF saying "Well Ravage and Long Haul looked pretty damn cool!"

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Give it time.
    Give it time...
    Yeah, somehow I don't think that the chances of people not complaining about the negatives in the movies are good - espeically on a board populated by TF fanboys

Personally I was hoping we had seen the last of bay in a Directors role, but I'll live with it if it turns out otherwise