Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Combiner Wars animated series by Machinima

Chances are, it'll be renamed "Prime Wars" and become an adaptation of the whole trilogy, at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    That linked article is from July so nothing new there. In fact, Goktimus did you forget you started a thread about this cartoon already?
    Oopsies! Mods, please merge.

This is like the Transformers Universe MOG game all over again... an early announcement with heaps of hype and excitement (from them and from fans), but very little revealed for months, and then years later it gets released to lack of interest and missing the boat of what it was trying to cash in on.

9 months after the first announcement, we finally get our first visuals... and they are just two promotional stills, one of which (with Windblade) doesn't look like it is from the CGI animated series (it looks more like a comic book cover).
    With very little said, other than "preaching to the choir" about statistics we already know or are aware of with Transformers, the only thing new we get told here is that it will come out in July as 8 episodes (fingers crossed, it is only two months away and we have no animation revealed yet), it is set 40 years after "previous events" (the great war, so maybe this is set in the Gen1 cartoon universe?), and that Windblade is a central character (the new Drift, who also had to be in everything).

Machinima’s contribution to the canon, Transformers Combiner Wars, is 40 years removed from previous events. It’s a time of peace. Cybertron is ruled by a triumvirate … but an ancient technology has emerged, enabling a new threat to take the stage. As in the case of Robocops, there is no trailer we can share for this, but it was worked on by “some of the world’s leading creative minds”: Eric Calderon, FJ Desanto, and George Krstic. It is directed by Kenji Nakamura. License partners are welcome.
    Here is some glorious artwork. This is the planet Cybertron, in which you get a sense of the filmlike cinematography (“This is not a children’s cartoon!” exclaimed Gutstein).
    Next, meet the heroine Windblade, who has the power to talk to the Titans.”
    And from here earlier in the month...

Taking place 40 years after the great war on Earth, Transformers: Combiner Wars introduces new lore and all-new characters that, combined with the characters fans have known for decades, will bring the Transformers storytelling in a new direction.
    The Autobots and Decepticons have disbanded and returned to Cybertron. With the days of Optimus Prime and Megatron over, Cybertron is now ruled by a triumvirate. However, an ancient technology has enabled a new threat, the power for multiple Transformers to combine into one massive, dangerous form: Combiners. Who will stand-up to this threat to ensure that the fragile peace that was 4 million years in the making remains?

Hopefully I am wrong and this gets released on time, with good enough visual and story quality to be worth the wait... after the Combiner Wars toys have been replaced in stores with Titans Return toys.

I'm losing faith in this more and more as time goes on. Everytime we have an "update" nothing is really revealed. And being so close to the released date, surely they have a couple of finished - or almost finished - backgrounds or character model frames they could render and show. This approach of being mysterious and just hyping it up is really getting old.

Episode 1 is out now on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YHxMeGDdqs

Felt way too short and Menasor's voice was not really fitting of the character IMO. I liked the visuals though it was a bit choppy. Will give it a few more episodes before forming my view but will watch it all the way through regardless.

What does everyone else think?

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    What does everyone else think?
    Next level cringe, that voice work...

very disappointed

- would've thought it would be ~ 20mins, basically it seems like the trailers we were shown
    - animation seemed slightly off, can't pin it though
    - voices didn't sound right, might've just been the audio dubbing though
    - storyline: does that mean 2 of the main combiners (released) are dead within the first 5 mins?

It reminded me of when I watched the eng dubbed headmasters for the first time. Was super excited and everything looked awesome... Then they spoke.

Computron sounded like a dial-up modem and menasor is a rebellious pubescent teenager. All hopes dashed

I had a vent about it so I will just quote that here:

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    Just watched ep 1 of Combiner Wars and I don't have a single nice thing to say about it....

Voice acting was terrible, script was cringe worthy, only lasted 5 mins of which 25% of it was spent with computron and menasor doing this repetitive punch action in space, menasor sounds like a teenager with an attitude problem, no apparent storyline, I could rant for longer.

I am just so disappointed that we have waited so long for this crap

Quote Originally Posted by Initial_G View Post
    - storyline: does that mean 2 of the main combiners (released) are dead within the first 5 mins?
    The irony is not lost on me that one of the only combiners still to be sold has been potentially killed off in the first episode