Page 34 of 195 FirstFirst ... 142429303132333435363738394454 ... LastLast

Thread: The Random Transformers Thoughts Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Looking at TRU today and it's remarkable how many exclusive and highend TF items are in the stores these days. Sure the pricing is a bit off-putting for us online savy folk, but ten years ago we wouldn't have ever expected to even have so many chances to buy in store.
    I know what you are saying, as I've seen the photos of other TRU stores with heaps of TFs exclusives and imports, which is all thanks to a couple of people at Hasbro Australia, signing up as many limited items to retailers as possible and sourcing quite a few extra items from Asia...

...but unfortunately for me, the TRU store servicing the southern half of Brisbane doesn't currently have any, and only had MP Sideswipe as the only exclusive in the last 2 months. (at least I rely on importing already to not miss out)
    And for some reason, TRU has a policy of not ordering in stock for customers who are a guaranteed sale...

Although the number were certainly fewer, the overpriced exclusive toys that we did get at TRU still shelfwarmed (e.g. MP Ghost Starscream), while the more reasonably priced Japanese MPs at Target sold better. Hasbro have told me that they have no exclusive deal with TRU for these toys, it's just that other retailers don't order these toys (thus allowing TRU to have a monopoly by default). IMO it'd be good if other retailers were to order in the TakaraTOMY imports and offer more competitive prices. Hasbro are fully aware that TRU are overpriced but ultimately it's TRU that sets their prices. (-_-)

Don't Hasbro/TakTom have a sort of base price? Like say a base of 20AUD for a deluxe?

They have a recommended retail price which retailers can either abide by, go under or go below. When I was volunteering at their EB Games Expo booth last year, I was quoting their RRPs for the Force FX lightsabres which was much higher than what retailers ended up selling them for (I don't remember these prices now).

Recently RID Starscream was revealed.... A new Deluxe seeker mold....

Hasbro do your thing!

Today I got a Rescue Bot toy called Servo. I can't help but notice the irony in the name. The word "Servo" in English is short for servomotor or servomechanism, which is: "a mechanical device for controlling large amounts of power by means of smaller amounts of power and correcting the performance of the device using feedback." It is comprised of two morphemes: 'servo' and 'motor' or 'mechanism.' The word motor comes from the Latin word for "to move," and mechanism comes from the Latin word for "machine" (derived from the Greek word 'mechanikos' [μηχανικός]). But the word 'servo' comes from the Latin word "servus" (say "sehrr-wuss") which means slave. So yeah, 'servomotor' means "slave mover" and 'servomechanism' means "slave machine."

But by only using the "servo" part of the word, it means that Servo's name just means "slave." It seems somewhat odd for Autobots to name a subordinate partner "slave." Sounds more like what a Decepticon would do! (or a Mandalorian, although the Slave-1 isn't sentient )

And I got to thinking that perhaps I might repurpose Servo as Dominus Ambus the Gokiverse where he's undergone Empurata and has had his robot mode replaced with the drill mode. The additional irony here is that the word "dominus" is Latin for 'master' and is the exact opposite of what "servo" means! So perhaps as a final insult, the Functionists had his name changed from 'master' to 'slave.'

What event is going on right now where all these 3rd party reveals are coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    What event is going on right now where all these 3rd party reveals are coming from?
    TFCon

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    TFCon i think. I just look at those pretty pictures

Not really a random thought, coz I've been thinking it constantly for 2 weeks.... But with today's acquisition the reality has blown me away.

We are an awesome community all over the world!!!

Remember how Roll Out Roll Call in the UK got the "sold out" Botcon stuff? Well a couple of pms, a Facebook chat, and BAM! Tickets bought, a U.K. Local OK to collect, organisers of con know, and mailed here to oz in under a week....

Our international geeks are amazing!