Page 85 of 195 FirstFirst ... 6575808182838485868788899095105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Random Transformers Thoughts Thread

Factually incorrect according to? GWR have their own set rules of judging criteria, & if nobody else has come forward & met them, why not make the claim?

If people feel so strongly about AJ and his claim, contact GWR, jump through the hoops like he has and prove them wrong.

This guy has come out on social media abusing people who've pointed out to him that his collection isn't the world's largest. I can't repeat the words here, but yeah, incredibly immature and vile stuff. I could understand that maybe this guy has simply never ever met or communicated with too many other TF collectors and never Googled or read articles about other collectors to realise that there are bigger collections out there - perhaps he was just really ignorant. But as people with larger collections have been flooding him with responses and proving him wrong, he's now lashing back in really horrible ways and has generally abused the Transfandom as a whole. I can't repeat the exact words, but he's basically said that anyone who spends "that much money" on building a large collection (i.e. collection larger than his) must be a sad individual who desperately needs to fornicate with females. Abuse aside I also find it grossly hypocritical, because while 618 may not be the world's biggest collection, it is still a really big collection! 600+ figures is not something to be laughed at, that's a LOT of toys!

Like I said, I'm not having a go at this guy for wanting to show off or boast about his big collection. Most of us boast about our collections, myself included. As a person who has his collection count number with a link to pics in his post signature, it would be grossly hypocritical for me to criticise anyone else for wanting to show off their toys. But for one big collector to then go out and abuse all other big collectors (or specifically, bigger collectors), just seems not just hypocritical but also incredibly petty and jealous. So if he thinks that a person with say 1000 toys is a sad individual, what happens when his collection reaches that size?!? Or is he planning on capping his collection at 618?

It's no wonder he retaliated. He posts up something he was excited and proud of - being the first person to approach Guinness - and all the trolls came out of the woodwork to bring him down.
    Sure, it's not the biggest, and if he is oblivious of that, then let him have his moment, and rationally prove it... (you have no idea how much I hate myself for saying this) look at what Ryan from seibertron posted on his facebook page - yes, it gave him an opportunity to heavily plug his website, but he welcomed him to the larger fandom that he is obviously unaware of, in addition to showing him that there are 4 digit collections out there (or 5 digit if you count the non-toy items)... and that's why his post was left up and the trolls were deleted.

Even my comment on your fb page could have been interpreted as being a bit snobbish, even though it was just noting that there are much larger collections out there... it missed the point of his original posting.

Sure, it wouldn't have stayed a "Guinness record" for long, but he made it possible for there to be a listing for largest Transformers collection, and for that, he earns his short period as being *their* verified largest collection.

Let me guess: rather than the "Hey nice collection dude, though I would point out that this, this and this are bigger collections" it actually was "LOL OMGZ nub loser kent noway ur collection is bigger lol. Better luck next time! lol!!!!'"

And he didn't react to well to that, nor the others to his reaction and the cycle of internet arguing continued.

I wasn't aware that people were abusing him, although I don't think that it justifies his response... but I also don't condone of anyone else being abusive towards him.

As I've said, 600+ toys is still a bloody BIG collection, especially considering that only 25% of TF collectors own 600 toys more more. He's a member of a fairly limited club. My thoughts are, "That's a huge collection, but it's no where close to being the biggest."

What number are you basing that 25% off? Have these numbers been independently verified or are we just taking collectors at their word?

FatalityPitt Guest

I got the perfect first world problem.

I recently went through some of my stuff in storage, and I noticed through the plastic window of my MISB G1 Encore Meister (Jazz); the pins attaching the wheels to the car (I think they're 'axles') have started to rust and grow mold. Yeah, it's my own fault for not being careful where I store my stuff.

So now I'm contemplating on whether to leave the figure as is, or take it out of the package and clean off the mold and rust with some WD-40. This is a figure I've had since 2011, and didn't plan on opening. If I do take it out of the package to clean up, I'll have to do the same with the Encore Twincast too, which I stored in the same area as Jazz, and it's also showing signs of mold growth (white spots) on the other side of the plastic window. Screws and metal parts are probably rusty too...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    What number are you basing that 25% off? Have these numbers been independently verified or are we just taking collectors at their word?
    6 years' worth of census data. Like other censuses it's based on trust that collectors have submitted accurate data. AFAIK it's the most accurate data collected about collection size - if someone else has more comprehensive data then I would welcome it.

The numbers I cited wasn't completely accurate as it was based off the average results from the 2007-11 polls, but there were also polls in 2012 and 2014. So based on the average of results from 2007-11, 2012 & 2014 I can tell you that 68% of collectors reported having collection sizes under 600, so obviously that means that at 618 figures he's part of 32% of fans with collections numbering 600+.

I've stopped doing the survey because it was causing too much trouble. Each year's poll is just a snapshot of what our collections were like - and that's all censuses are, snapshots. And I think that 6 years' worth of snapshots gives us a reasonably decent picture.

Megatran Guest

A proud moment for a TF fan & it ends up predictably in a trolling session. I'd be disappointed if a newbie came here & got that sort of treatment / line of questioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    A proud moment for a TF fan & it ends up predictably in a trolling session. I'd be disappointed if a newbie came here & got that sort of treatment / line of questioning.
    They're probably just burnt because they didn't think of it themselves.