Page 86 of 195 FirstFirst ... 6676818283848586878889909196106 ... LastLast

Thread: The Random Transformers Thoughts Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    A proud moment for a TF fan & it ends up predictably in a trolling session. I'd be disappointed if a newbie came here & got that sort of treatment / line of questioning.
    This ^
    The TF community can be real b***hes sometimes. Who cares if it's not the biggest or who has what, just enjoy what you have and let others be
    As for having polls on who's is bigger??? That says a lot to me
    Dapto Dog for 2017

Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    I got the perfect first world problem.

I recently went through some of my stuff in storage, and I noticed through the plastic window of my MISB G1 Encore Meister (Jazz); the pins attaching the wheels to the car (I think they're 'axles') have started to rust and grow mold. Yeah, it's my own fault for not being careful where I store my stuff.

So now I'm contemplating on whether to leave the figure as is, or take it out of the package and clean off the mold and rust with some WD-40. This is a figure I've had since 2011, and didn't plan on opening. If I do take it out of the package to clean up, I'll have to do the same with the Encore Twincast too, which I stored in the same area as Jazz, and it's also showing signs of mold growth (white spots) on the other side of the plastic window. Screws and metal parts are probably rusty too...
    Ouch! Sorry to hear that dude. I'd open them, clean them and pop them back in the boxes. MISB and MIB encore boxes look the same on display, what value is it to you to keep them sealed?
    "The Decepticons keep bad company - each other!" - Jazz, G2

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tinyJazz View Post
    Ouch! Sorry to hear that dude. I'd open them, clean them and pop them back in the boxes. MISB and MIB encore boxes look the same on display, what value is it to you to keep them sealed?
    Yeah, Thanks. I'll do just that - clean them up and try to prevent future rusting/mold growth. No point keeping them MISB when the toys inside are already spoiled. Plus, I can always put them back in the box, unlike MOSC figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream77 View Post
    Who cares if it's not the biggest or who has what, just enjoy what you have and let others be
    I don't care if he has the largest or smallest collection... what he's drawn negative attention towards himself for having done is making the claim that it's the largest in the world. If he'd just said, "I have large collection. I have 618 toys," then I'm sure that nobody would have called him out on it. If you are going to make a claim then you need to be able to back it up. This is known as Burden of Proof. And okay, it's just toys. It's not like other people making far more serious false claims like vaccinations causing autism and what not -- but it's a similar type of logical fallacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream77 View Post
    As for having polls on who's is bigger??? That says a lot to me
    NEVER QUOTE PEOPLE OR THINGS OUT OF CONTEXT

The polls were never intended to determine "Who has a bigger collection," it was to determine what the AVERAGE size of a collection was. It explicitly states this in the bloody PREAMBLE. This was written to deliberately avoid people from making statements like that.

I referred to the poll data to support this guy in terms of how impressive his collection is. Because some people might think, "Oh, he only has 618 Transformers." 'ONLY' has? 618 Transformers is a lot!

You're objecting to other people giving this collector a hard time after he's made a false claim (and I wholeheartedly agree that nobody should be abusing him), yet you see it fit to give me a hard time by misrepresenting a project that I spent nine years of my life working on. "Just enjoy what you have and let others be," -- I begged for this during the last years of the census. Reminding people that participation the polls was voluntary and that if anyone didn't like it, then they could just walk away. I begged people to avoid posting on those threads if they objected to it. But it NEVER happened. Every year someone would get abusive and nasty... they would never leave it alone. This is why there has NEVER been a collection count census since 2014. My goal was to run these polls every year, like taking snap shots of the average collection size to give us a general idea of trends etc. But the haters wouldn't let it happen, and so I reluctantly buried the project after 2014. I actually was ready to bury it after 2012 - which is why there's no data for 2013, but I did the poll one last time in 2014 because it was the 30th anniversary of the franchise and it felt like a good time to end the project on once and for all.

But the project is dead and buried now. You can stop picking on it. But the data exists for the very purposes of why it was collated in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I don't care if he has the largest or smallest collection... what he's drawn negative attention towards himself for having done is making the claim that it's the largest in the world. If he'd just said, "I have large collection. I have 618 toys," then I'm sure that nobody would have called him out on it. If you are going to make a claim then you need to be able to back it up. This is known as Burden of Proof. And okay, it's just toys. It's not like other people making far more serious false claims like vaccinations causing autism and what not -- but it's a similar type of logical fallacy.

NEVER QUOTE PEOPLE OR THINGS OUT OF CONTEXT

The polls were never intended to determine "Who has a bigger collection," it was to determine what the AVERAGE size of a collection was. It explicitly states this in the bloody PREAMBLE. This was written to deliberately avoid people from making statements like that.

I referred to the poll data to support this guy in terms of how impressive his collection is. Because some people might think, "Oh, he only has 618 Transformers." 'ONLY' has? 618 Transformers is a lot!

You're objecting to other people giving this collector a hard time after he's made a false claim (and I wholeheartedly agree that nobody should be abusing him), yet you see it fit to give me a hard time by misrepresenting a project that I spent nine years of my life working on. "Just enjoy what you have and let others be," -- I begged for this during the last years of the census. Reminding people that participation the polls was voluntary and that if anyone didn't like it, then they could just walk away. I begged people to avoid posting on those threads if they objected to it. But it NEVER happened. Every year someone would get abusive and nasty... they would never leave it alone. This is why there has NEVER been a collection count census since 2014. My goal was to run these polls every year, like taking snap shots of the average collection size to give us a general idea of trends etc. But the haters wouldn't let it happen, and so I reluctantly buried the project after 2014. I actually was ready to bury it after 2012 - which is why there's no data for 2013, but I did the poll one last time in 2014 because it was the 30th anniversary of the franchise and it felt like a good time to end the project on once and for all.

But the project is dead and buried now. You can stop picking on it. But the data exists for the very purposes of why it was collated in the first place.
    Wouldn't said burden of proof be on those printing the record books? I would think yes.

As for your next rant please tell me who I quoted? I made a comment on polls, did I once mention a person or poll in particular?
    Practice what you preach and do not misquote people, and really Gok I personally believe you take things way too seriously, this is a forum for blokes who collect plastic toys (of which I am proud to be)
    Dapto Dog for 2017

I believe that you misrepresented the purpose of the poll, of which is outlined in its Preamble.

As for the responsibility of Burden of Proof, this is explained in the saying, "semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit" which is Latin for "The necessity of proof always lies with the person making the claim." The Guinness Book would have responsibility in verifying and checking that the claim is genuine, sure, but it is also ultimately the responsibility of the claimant to ensure that his or her claim is true. For example, if I were to publish a book claiming that vaccines cause autism, then okay, my editor and publisher might share some blame in not checking to see if my claims were true... but the ultimate blame would fall on my shoulders for making such an outrageous claim in the absence of verifiable evidence. It would certainly tarnish my editor's and publisher's reputation mind you. This is why Andrew Wakefield was stripped of his title as doctor after publishing his paper on the link between autism and vaccinations - the medical association (and other doctors in general) didn't want to have their reputation tarnished by this one person's rogue findings.

I realise that I am using a very extreme example, and of course we are just talking about toys here. People have literally died as a result of Wakefield's claim, whereas all that this guy's done is stir arguments between toy-collecting nerds on the internet.

I think there's a couple of interesting things with that story:

1. The guys has a solid collection for what has been something he has come back to later in life.

2. It would be interesting how the Guinness World Records chooses to count them. I remember an interview with Chris Sheedy (the only Australian GWR auditor) talking about how a part of their job is determining what is a worthwhile record, and then a system that is verifiable and replicable if someone wants to contest the record. (Perhaps there would finally be a universally accepted counting system :P)

3. As others have said, props to him for going on this endeavour to set the initial record, and as far as GWR would know it's the largest that they have been made aware of. However, there would be nothing wrong with someone else (eg: Griffin) contesting the record and then being declared the record holder

Megatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    It's no wonder he retaliated. He posts up something he was excited and proud of - being the first person to approach Guinness - and all the trolls came out of the woodwork to bring him down.
    That is factually incorrect. Grubs live in the woodwork. Don't Trolls reside under a bridge or overpass?

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    2. It would be interesting how the Guinness World Records chooses to count them.
    I must admit that I'd be curious to see this too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    However, there would be nothing wrong with someone else (eg: Griffin) contesting the record and then being declared the record holder
    Heh, yeah, a record of 618 toys wouldn't remain uncontested for long.
    As I said before, I reckon that the world's largest would belong to either Harold Tietjens or Akiyama Fumihiko.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    That is factually incorrect. Grubs live in the woodwork. Don't Trolls reside under a bridge or overpass?
    Yeah... I actually wrote that at first (out from under their bridges), but it didn't sound right and might distract people from the point of the message.