Page 174 of 195 FirstFirst ... 154164169170171172173174175176177178179184194 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 1948

Thread: The Random Transformers Thoughts Thread

My Transformers count has now reached 2666.

Back in 2004, when we were celebrating the 20th anniversary of TFs, my collection hit 666 (with Energon Scorponok being my 666th Transformer). Funnily enough, my 2666th Transformer is a toy that came out in 2004; Super Link Chromehorn Forest Type.

Although in 2004 I was still using the Substitution Rationale Method for counting my TFs, whereas now I use the Universal Counting Method; but I didn't own too many variants back then, so my 2004 SRM count would still be similar had I counted using the UCM back then. Also worth mentioning that I hit the 666 mark in early 2004. I actually wanted Energon Megatron to be my 666th, but the toy hadn't been released when my collection was at 665, so I grabbed Scorponok instead. So my collection definitely exceeded the 700 figure mark by year's end by either SRM or UCM reckoning.

Anyway, it means that I have collected 2000 more Transformers since roughly around this time sixteen years ago. This averages 111 figures per year. Although my entire collecting average is about 70 figures per year (including my childhood collecting years). 2004-now represents most of my collecting years after I started working full time (and thus having a disposable income). Prior to this I think I averaged roughly 20~30 figures a year. Of course, there were also fewer figures to collect in the 20th Century compared to now.
    e.g. just G1, just G2, just BW etc.
    It's not like today where I'm concurrently collecting Cyberverse, Kingdom, Gens Selects, Masterpiece, Studio Series etc.

So Nemesis Prime is a name that's meant to be the opposite of "Optimus" Prime. Not that Nemesis is the opposite of Optimus (that would be Pessimus).
    But what if other Transformers had opposite-alignment counterparts with opposite meaning names?

• Megatron: MICROTON
      "Micross" (small) is the opposite of "Megalos" (large). Also mega is a million of something (e.g. the Earth is 264,000Mm from Mars), whereas a micro is a millionth of something (e.g. the coronavirus is approx. 0.9μm in diameter). "Tron" is short for "electron," so I've taken "ton" from "proton," since protons have the opposite charge of electrons. Although admittedly the name does now sound like "Microtonne"... of course, there are a million grams in a tonne, so 1μT = 1g

• Jazz: DIRGE

• Dirge: JAZZ

• Prowl: STOMP

• Frenzy: TRANQUILITY

• Rewind: FAST FORWARD

• Eject: INSERT

• Hound: CATILLA

• Catilla: HOUND

• Bluestreak: SILVERBLOT

• Wheelie: LIKEABLE

...etc

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    • Megatron: MICROTON
      "Micross" (small) is the opposite of "Megalos" (large). Also mega is a million of something (e.g. the Earth is 264,000Mm from Mars), whereas a micro is a millionth of something (e.g. the coronavirus is approx. 0.9?m in diameter). "Tron" is short for "electron," so I've taken "ton" from "proton," since protons have the opposite charge of electrons. Although admittedly the name does now sound like "Microtonne"... of course, there are a million grams in a tonne, so 1?T = 1g
    He'd be a very small robot that transformed into a very very big vehicle. So big he needed mass-shifting technobable to explain it.
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Phoenix View Post
    He'd be a very small robot that transformed into a very very big vehicle. So big he needed mass-shifting technobable to explain it.
    Heheh, as awesome as imagining a robot the size of Browning transforming into an aircraft carrier is, in the spirit of Nemesis Prime these would all just be repaints... so Microton would still be a big robot who transforms into a Walther P38 - possibly the black Microman version (as opposed to the silver chrome version used for Megatron).

Some other suggestions:
    * Ironhide: CESIUM SALAMI (Cesium being a really soft metal, and the initials "Cs" being the chemical symbol for Cesium)
    * Bumblebee: DRAGONFLY (bees' natural predator)
    * Mirage: REALITY
    * Wheeljack: DOWNSHIFT
    * Downshift: WHEELJACK
    * Ratchet: STICK
    * Sunstreaker: MOONBLOCKER
    * Trailbreaker: BARRICADE
    * Barricade: TRAILBREAKER
    * Brawn: SCRAWNY
    * Gears: STRIPPED
    * Huffer: MEEK
    * Windcharger: WAVERIDER
    * Waverider: WINDCHARGER
    * Soundwave: THE SILENCE
    * Starscream: NIGHT-HUSH
    * Skywarp: STRAIGHTLAND
    * Thundercracker: WHISPER
    * Whisper: THUNDERCRACKER
    * Omega Supreme: ALPHA INFERIOR
    * Ultra Magnus: CITRA PARVUS
    * Galvatron: VOLTATON - Galvatron is a portmanteau of "galvanisation" and "electron." The word "galvanisation" is named after 18th C Italian scientist Luigi Galvani, whose rival was Alessandro Volta. And "ton" is from proton as explained in my previous post.

For those who can read Japanese, TakaraTOMY's official TF site has mistakenly labelled the link to Sparkless Seeker as "PF WFC-04 Starscream" and Starscream as "WFC-20 Sparkless Seeker" The thumbnail images and links are correct, but the names have been switched.
    https://tf.takaratomy.co.jp/

Here's a screenshot with English captions added.

It doesn't happen often but I have seen them mix up menu images before.

Today I separated my CW Stunticons and set them up on display as individual bots. As Tetsuwan Convoy has pointed out, CW Motormaster is still a good Motormaster toy, just not a good Menasor torso. Plus, let's face it, nobody's gonna buy the CW Stunticons now.

I've also deliberately not filled up the shelf spot that CW Menasor formerly occupied; that space is now reserved for TL Menasor.

Over the weekend I busted out out my UW Menasor, juts to see if it's as bad as I remember. And, yes, yes it is. I also got out my others too, Bruticus and Abominus.
    Abominus is by far the best, aided significantly by his ankle rockers.

I had a closer look at Menasor and all his problems stem from the hips. The angle required for the gestalt mode is a bit of an odd one, making movement difficult. The square hips conflict with the waist area when you do move them. Standing my gestalts together, you also see that Menasor's hips are at approximately elbow height, making his legs exceptionally long. Standing up straight, he seems "ok" but the moment you move him, it's just terrible.

I still quite like the updated look to the individuals though, even though Wildrider and Deadend are the same model car. I do fear for their windscreens though, I see a lot of stress seems to happen on that hinge, and it happens on all versions of that mould that I have. Anyone have a good workaround?

I think I'll be keeping them for now.
    1. Probably won't be able to get too much for them anymore.
    2. I still rather like the look of Motormaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    1. Probably won't be able to get too much for them anymore.
    Gotta admit, this is my main reason for keeping them.
    Selling toys is hard enough as it is. I can't even sell my loose Kingdom Blaster; got Buckley's chances of selling CW Stunticons!