Quote Originally Posted by The Scream Man View Post
Unless i am wrong, the Autobot army, including all the japanese g1 transformers and those introducsed in the IDW books is 185 characters.

Not a huge army.
Looking purely at all the G1 Autobots released during G1 - just Hasbro's - and excluding all repeat characters (e.g. Goldbug etc.), then there are a total of 239 characters. This would be larger if we included Takara and non-toy characters, but it would still not much more than say roughly 300 characters. But yeah, even that wouldn't be a big army. Even the Spartans had a great force than this in the Battle of Thermoplylae*.

But I see them as being the 'hero characters' in the Autobot army, with the rest being populated by generics. I do wish that they would release generic troops for the Autobots, similar to how the Decepticons get say Vehicons.

-----------------------------------------------------------
*Although there were 300 Spartan warriors, they were also reinforced by 300 Spartan slaves (hoplites), various Peloponnesian forces (e.g. Arcadians, Corinthians etc.), as well as various Opuntian Locrians (e.g. Thespians etc.), bringing a grand total of up to 7700 fighters. Although this was still outnumbered, as modern historians estimate the Persians to have had up to 300,000 soldiers.