Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Year of the monkey -Optimus Primal revealed!

I was just thinking earlier today "I wonder why they never released an Optimus primal in prime colours (or if they did why can't I think of it) and now, here it is.
    I never got this toy as a kid. And as weird as it looks with that colour scheme and the goofy monkey-autonomy symbol l. I kind of fee like I must have this

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
    I was just thinking earlier today "I wonder why they never released an Optimus primal in prime colours (or if they did why can't I think of it) and now, here it is.
    I never got this toy as a kid. And as weird as it looks with that colour scheme and the goofy monkey-autonomy symbol l. I kind of fee like I must have this
    Well... that big Beast Wars Transmetal Optimal Optimus toy (yellow & blue with four modes) was later released in Beast Machines in red & blue as Primal Prime (middle of my photo above)... which might have been done as "Optimus Prime" colours (but we'll never know).

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    That is a terrible toy.
    At least recent Zodiac Transformers were decent toys with some questionable colours... this one won't have much going for it, at a huge
    price
    Wow, I don't think I've ever seen you say that about a toy before Griff

Is it the toy in general, or the colour scheme? I hunted down this guy after messing about with a friends' as I though it was kinda cheesy with the jet sound effects. I won't be touching this one though, those colours. Man what are they thinking????

Also curious to know if they'll keep the electronics AND if so who's voice will be in there.
    Now THAT I am interested in. Do toys have a licensing dealio on sound chips? Surely this one would have run out by now?

I think I am MOST annoyed that for the year of the Monkey, they used a Gorilla toy.... Where's the love for Optimus Minor? He's still an Optimus....

At least the toy is not transparent

Just sitting here waiting for Verno to see.....

As TinyJazz said, at least it's an animal that closely approximates the Lunar Zodiac animal! Gotta give Hasbro points for finally attempting this after totally not even trying for all the previous ones!

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    I think I am MOST annoyed that for the year of the Monkey, they used a Gorilla toy.... Where's the love for Optimus Minor? He's still an Optimus....
    Or they could use the B'Boom/Apache mould. Mandrills are monkeys, and it's a pretty awesome figure IMHO.

Also, bear in mind that in many East Asian languages, the word for 'monkey' is often synonymous with ape. In Japanese, 猿 (さる) means "monkey," but it can also translate as "ape" depending on context. In 西遊記 (Journey to the West), 孫悟空 (Son Gokuu) is often referred to as saru, and of course, in the famous BBC English dub, his name is simply Monkey, even though he's meant to be an ape. Asian language zoological taxonomy doesn't necessarily follow the same lines as English/European taxonomy. If you wanted to specifically refer to apes in Japanese, you could use the word 類人猿 (るいじんえん), but that refers to simians in general and thus would also include Old World Monkeys, which the English word "ape" doesn't. If you wanted to explicitly refer to "apes" in the Western sense, then the term is 人上科 (ひとじょうか), but this term isn't commonly used in regular Japanese (about as often as the word "hominoidea" would be used in regular English ). 大型類人猿 (おおがたるいじんえん; "large apes") may be more commonly used, but 猿 (さる; monkey) is an accepted synonym for 'ape' in Japanese without the same technical inaccuracy that occurs in languages like English.

And ultimately, the difference doesn't matter when it comes to the Lunar Calendar, because the Kanji for monkey (猿) isn't even used to describe that year, rather they use the Kanji 申 (which evolved from an image of a lightning bolt); monkey/ape. Confused? Let's just call it Year of the Simian then. This isn't the only one that's confusing. This year is the Year of the Sheep, but some people call it the Year of the Goat. Going by Japanese phonology (ひつじどし; Hitsujidoshi), it would be Sheep (because Year of the Goat would be (やぎゅうどし; Yagyuudoshi), but of course, it becomes a moot point when you consider that the Kanji is written as 未 (an image of a tree tip), which neither refers to the sheep or goat animal. So Year of the Caprid it is. Then there's the year of the cow... ox... bovine!

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    Just sitting here waiting for Verno to see.....
    Don't worry, he's already had his vent on TFW.

I wouldn't say it's a terrible toy as there are worse out there. But those colors don't quite fit.
    As mentioned, it's an easy pass.

That is a terrible toy.
    Are there any good post BW season 3 Optimus Primal toys? I don't have any BM stuff and all I keep hearing from people is how terrible everything from that line is so I feel like I should never buy anything from that line.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Is it the toy in general, or the colour scheme? I hunted down this guy after messing about with a friends' as I though it was kinda cheesy with the jet sound effects. I won't be touching this one though, those colours. Man what are they thinking????
    I must be the odd one out this time, as those colours look cooler than the original to me.

That is a terrible toy.
    At least recent Zodiac Transformers were decent toys with some questionable colours... this one won't have much going for it, at a huge
    price. (this was "Supreme" size - the largest size class since Fortress Maximus, and had electronics for extra expense)

It also has the amusing feature of having its monkey butt right behind its head and very obvious at that... (back left)
    I've never owned this toy, is there anything particular bad about it? Didn't notice the monkey butt before, and is becoming a HUGE deterrent now.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!