Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Universal Counting Method

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    So seeing as I collect statues and busts, they don't count?

A minority product is voted against, as its a minority product.

Coming up with all these ways to discount what others have and enjoy from 'counting' as a part of their cherished collection = pointless data.

Especiallt when plush toys count, but not statues and busts? Besides the media, they're quite a similar thing.

And kitbashes count? They're not official product. They're not even product made in numbers. Yet they count, while tons of official product doesn't?

So I could have every figure made, yet you could have more because you mash different heads into different bodies? Because you have a fancharacter you made? That totally blows any numbers out the water, as what comparison can be made there? None.

Seems like a great way to minimise others' collection for self-fellating purposes.

'Oh you have and enjoy all these Transformers products? They don't count. You have nothing. Bai.'
    It's not a counting method to cover everything that would legitimately count as a "Transformers item" or "Transformers toy" or "Transformers action figure" (three main parameters people count for their collections, which gives significantly different figures to each).... this counting method is to create a comparative method between collectors. The reason it excludes certain items by popular vote ends up coming down to what you said - it is a product collected by a small number of people... not because people are trying to limit the final count of others.

People are free to count their collection in any way they want.

This "counting method" is just for statistical purposes, NOT for forcing people to change their own counting method.

I have a more objective counting method than the UMC, but I'm not trying to gain statistical data on collecting habits. This UMC project is the only one that aims to collect that data, and preferred to include as many people as possible. As such, democratically elected parameters of the collection of data for those stats was the fairest thing. Otherwise, for a project to collect statistical data (NOT to compare one person's collection to another, or to change their counting method), many people wouldn't bother being involved if they didn't feel like they contributed in the parameters (if they were just dictated by just one person).

I personally have never used the UMC, because I don't like how complicated it is. But I don't like hearing people criticising it (especially those who didn't even participate in the voting), because you are missing the point of it.

IT IS NOT A COUNTING METHOD TO CHANGE YOUR OWN PERSONAL COUNTING METHOD - IT IS JUST FOR STATISTICAL DATA OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME.

Thankyou.

Article 03 and Article 08 have been amended to clarify the counting of model-kit style Arms Microns. Basically any Arms Microns that you need to assemble like a model kit doesn't count (since Article 08 states that models don't count). Yes, I know that they are marketed as Mini-Cons, thus now model kit style Arms Microns are exempted from Article 03 - they're classified under Article 08 and thus don't count.

e.g.:
    * Arms Micron Aimless counts because that's not a model kit that requires assembly like a model (it's a repaint of a PCC Mini-Con, who already count separately)
    * Arms Micron Zamu (Breakdown's Micron) does _not_ count because it's essentially a model kit rather than a Micron action figure.

Thank you.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but am interested to find out if i am correct

In my personal cataloging method I have put my new G2 Bruitics under the following catagories:

Name, Allegiance, Toyline, Series, Transformation
    Brawl, Combaticon, G2, FOC, Cybetronian Tank
    Swindle, Combaticon, G2, FOC, Cybertronian Armored Truck
    Blast Off, Combaticon, G2, FOC, Cybertronian Shuttle
    Vortex, Combaticon, G2, FOC, Cybertronian Helicopter
    Onslaught, Combaticon, G2, FOC, Cybertronian Missile Truck

So it counts as 5 for me

But if I'm guessing right according to the universal counting method it would be:

Name, Allegiance, Toyline,
    Bruiticus, Decepticon Super Warrior, G2

So it would only count as 1. Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but am interested to find out if i am correct

In my personal cataloging method I have put my new G2 Bruitics under the following catagories:

Name, Allegiance, Toyline, Series, Transformation
    Brawl, Combaticon, G2, FOC, Cybetronian Tank
    Swindle, Combaticon, G2, FOC, Cybertronian Armored Truck
    Blast Off, Combaticon, G2, FOC, Cybertronian Shuttle
    Vortex, Combaticon, G2, FOC, Cybertronian Helicopter
    Onslaught, Combaticon, G2, FOC, Cybertronian Missile Truck

So it counts as 5 for me

But if I'm guessing right according to the universal counting method it would be:

Name, Allegiance, Toyline,
    Bruiticus, Decepticon Super Warrior, G2

So it would only count as 1. Am I right?
    I believe the answer you are looking for is...

* ARTICLE 04: Only the component members of a Gestalt team count. e.g.:
    - Devastator = 6 Transformers (6 Constructicons)
    - Superion = 5 Transformers (5 Aerialbots) -- in total these all count as 11 Transformers.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

BigTransformerTrev: As 5FDP pointed out, Article04 defines how gestalts are counted, so those 1 set of FoC Combaticons would count as 5 Transformers.

Ah, I thought that maybe because he came in 1 box as the Collectors Edition G2 Bruticus that maybe he would only be counted as one bot, whereas the FOC Combaticons all came seperately and hence would be counted individually. Thank you for clarification

What is the take on McDonald's happy meal toys? Do they count? (a mate sent me a Maccas Animated Bumblebee & Ratchet for my birthday)

Though I don't really adhere to the Universal Counting Method I'm always interested to see what it's take is

I think they (maccas toys) count.

I can't remember what you said to me regarding - AM microns Gok. you mentioned an amendment in the UCM - do they count? - coz they do transform, they are basically now the new minicons and they are sold separately from larger figures aside from the ones that do come with the figures ( though these seem like targetmaster figures really)... can you clarify please? thanks
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Ah, I thought that maybe because he came in 1 box as the Collectors Edition G2 Bruticus that maybe he would only be counted as one bot, whereas the FOC Combaticons all came seperately and hence would be counted individually. Thank you for clarification
    No worries. 5 Combaticons is 5 Combaticons, regardless of how they're packaged.

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    What is the take on McDonald's happy meal toys? Do they count? (a mate sent me a Maccas Animated Bumblebee & Ratchet for my birthday)
    I think they (maccas toys) count.

I can't remember what you said to me regarding - AM microns Gok. you mentioned an amendment in the UCM - do they count? - coz they do transform, they are basically now the new minicons and they are sold separately from larger figures aside from the ones that do come with the figures ( though these seem like targetmaster figures really)... can you clarify please? thanks
    The answer to both your questions lies in Article 08:
    Decoys, Statues, busts, PVCs, meal/candy toys, kits etc. do not count. e.g.:
    - Super Collection Figures don't count
    - Mega Collection Figures don't count
    - Mighty Muggs don't count
    - Be@rbricks don't count
    - Model kit style Arms Microns don't count

So all meal toys (Maccas, Red Rooster etc.) do not count. If Maccas toys interest you, check out the Armada Happy Meal toys... they're the best made meal toys IMHO (especially Hot Shot and Starscream).

The model-kit style Arms Microns don't count because they are model kits, not pre-made action figures like orthodox Mini-Cons. Yes, they transform, but so do some of the other confectionery model kits, like Death Zaras or even Tripledacus who can transform and combine. But those model kits have never counted before, so for the sake of consistency it's been ruled that the model-kit style Arms Microns do not count under the UCM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    So all meal toys (Maccas, Red Rooster etc.) do not count. If Maccas toys interest you, check out the Armada Happy Meal toys... they're the best made meal toys IMHO (especially Hot Shot and Starscream).
    I've got 2 Hot Shots that people have given me and I thought they about the worst HM toys, along with Armada Smokescreen. Maybe I'm not transforming them correctly. Personally I liked HM Energon Megatron, he came with a little scout plane with a torch in it!

The thing I like about the Armada Happy Meal toys is that they can combine into gestalts (Autobots into a gestalt robot, Decepticons into a gestalt vehicle). Sure, they're pretty silly looking gestalts, but for a bunch of really cheap Happy Meal toys, I'm impressed. Also I like how they all have Mini-Con ports that are compatible with actual Mini-Cons. Sure, they're "dead ports" (i.e. they don't activate any gimmicks in the toys themselves), but again - given that these are just $2 meal toys, I really like how they're designed to be compatible with mainstream Transformer toys! And they all have individual gimmicks too.

So in the case of Hot Shot, he has the pull back motor gimmick, Mini-Con ports that are compatible with Mini-Cons/Microns and he can combine w/ the other Happy Meal Armada Autobots to form a gestalt. That's a LOT more value than ROTF Combiner Class Devastator, and it's only a Happy Meal toy! And I like how Starscream has the G1 Jumpstarter gimmick that actually works better than the G1 Jumpstarters. I've just always been impressed with how much value they crammed into these cheap little toys, and I can't think of any other Meal toy that offers that much bang for your buck.