Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7172223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: SPOILER THREAD: SW: The Force Awakens

Finally saw the flick. My thoughts:

The Cons
    *Han getting killed by his son sucked massive donkey balls! I knew as soon as he and Chewie split up Han was gonna meet up with his son and get killed by him to prove the little Prat is an evil bastard. My fav ever ever ever SW character killed both predictably and for a plot point that could have been proved in another way. F-U writers!
    *The killer planet thing having a spot the tie fighters could shoot to blow it up was too cliche - they should have come up with something more original.
    *I don't wanna shag Carrie Fisher anymore.

The Pros
    Everything else! Best SW flick we've had in decades!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    *I don't wanna shag Carrie Fisher anymore!!!
    "Save the rebellion! Save the dream!" - Saw Gerrera

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    None of the other Star Wars movies have ever followed on directly from where the last ones left off. This is basically what the chronology of the films look like:
    Episode II: 10 years after Episode I. Anakin has grown into a man.
    Episode III: 3 years after Episode II. The events of the Clone Wars happened.
    Episode IV: 19 years after Episode III. The Skywalker twins are now young adults.
    Episode V: 3 years after Episode IV. Vader's been searching for Luke while the Rebels have built a base on Hoth.
    Episode VI: 1 year after Episode V. Luke has completed his own Jedi training. Somehow the Empire has managed to construct a second Death Star in the last four years despite the first one taking over 20 years to build. *
    Episode VII: 30 years after Episode VI. Some major stuff's happened.
    Episode VIII: ??? year(s) after Episode VII.
    Episode IX: ??? year(s) after Episode VIII.

So we really don't know how much time may have lapsed between the events of Episodes VII and VIII. And a lot of stuff can happen in between. Keeps those Expanded Universe writers employed.
    Which makes C3P0 and R2D2 over 66 year old technology
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

The thing that bugged me about the prequels is that they didn't make Obi Wan old enough... because he looked at least over 70 in Ep4, but if Obi Wan looked to be about 25 in Ep1, he would would still only look about 55 based on the estimates by Goktimus above.

Unfortunately, I think they needed to show Obi Wan as a padawan first in Ep1, but it wouldn't make much sense that he'd still be one at about 40 if they start their training by the age of 5. (unless he was a reeeeally slow learner )

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The thing that bugged me about the prequels is that they didn't make Obi Wan old enough... because he looked at least over 70 in Ep4, but if Obi Wan looked to be about 25 in Ep1, he would would still only look about 55 based on the estimates by Goktimus above.

Unfortunately, I think they needed to show Obi Wan as a padawan first in Ep1, but it wouldn't make much sense that he'd still be one at about 40 if they start their training by the age of 5. (unless he was a reeeeally slow learner )
    The life of a desert hermit will age one beyond their years (plus beard, white hair and a tonne of war)
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Obi Wan was 57 when he died, while Sir Alec was 63 years old when he played the part. Seems plausible to me

Bonus fun fact, Darth Vader was 46 when he met his maker.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post

The amount of time that passes between the prequels and original trilogy never quite made sense to me. It's roughly 20 years, canonically, yet people who are clearly more than 20 years old talk about the Jedi as if they are from the long past, and possibly mythical, rather than in living memory.

But the Imperial officer who says "Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you" was clearly old enough to have seen holovids of the Emperor talking about the assassination attempt on him by the Jedi that birthed the Galatic Empire.

(Same thing happened in TFA, I thought Luke Skywalker was a myth, but 30 years later and coming from a woman orphaned on a desert planet makes more sense.)

Megatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    My guess: I wouldn't expect the next movie to start with Rey and Luke having a chat. It will be days/weeks/months later and she'll be training as a Jedi.
    Oh great. Another under aged kid about to be groomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    Obi Wan was 57 when he died, while Sir Alec was 63 years old when he played the part. Seems plausible to me
    He was only 63 when he played that part? He looked so much older.
    I guess that was before the age-defying creams and treatments and plastic surgery, making today's celebrities look 20-30 years younger than they really are.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    The amount of time that passes between the prequels and original trilogy never quite made sense to me. It's roughly 20 years, canonically, yet people who are clearly more than 20 years old talk about the Jedi as if they are from the long past, and possibly mythical, rather than in living memory.

But the Imperial officer who says "Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you" was clearly old enough to have seen holovids of the Emperor talking about the assassination attempt on him by the Jedi that birthed the Galatic Empire.

(Same thing happened in TFA, I thought Luke Skywalker was a myth, but 30 years later and coming from a woman orphaned on a desert planet makes more sense.)
    While you have a point about the officer, for the general population of the galaxy, Jedi were probably a bit like myths/legends even at the height of the republic. In that time the average galactic citizen would most likely be able to live their life quite easily without ever seeing a jedi. If you live on a peaceful planet, (realitically) giving the jedi no reason to ever go there, you can see how, over time, the jedi would quite quickly and easily fall into myth and obscurity. The nature of their ways also meant that they relegated themselves to the background, seeking neither fame nor attention.

I think it would have been quite easy for Palpatine to convince the populace that the jedi were evil and had attempted a coup. He was a very popular politician. And don't underestimate what popular politicians can get away with
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain