Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast

Thread: SPOILER THREAD: SW: The Force Awakens

I think the little crossbars are silly.
    But the sound it makes is nice and heavy, promising brutality.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

I disagree with most of what you've said, jazzcomp, but I don't want to drag out an argument either, so allow me to submit this basic theory: Han may have been a better choice to send after Ren than Leia, because as Leia is Force sensitive, Ren would have sensed her presence. This could endanger the mission to Starkiller Base. Forget flying low to avoid detection, Ren would've sensed Leia's presence at Starkiller the moment that the Falcon exited Hyperspace.

Darth Vader: "I sense something. I presence I've not felt since..."

And it seems that the ability to sense other Force users is even stronger between family members:

Darth Vader: "A small Rebel force has penetrated the shield and landed on Endor."
    Emperor Palpatine: "Yes, I know."
    Darth Vader: "My son is with them."
    Emperor Palpatine: "Are you sure?"
    Darth Vader: "I have felt him, my Master."
    Emperor Palpatine: "Strange that I have not....."

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Ren is stupid, he should have clouds everyone judgement and went back to alliance base and kill them all yes including Leia. lousy sith.

When it comes to franchises, the biggest enemy of the franchise is in the following saying; "Familiarity breeds contempt."

So it doesn't surprise me to see that in Skyfall, Daniel Craig and the director created a film involving references to previous 007 movies as a means to compensate for the lack of success from Quantum of Solace.
    It therefore doesn't surprise that the Force Awakens does this as well to compensate for the lacklustre prequel trilogy. Although The Force Awakens takes a greater risk by drawing more heavily on the previous movies. But what really surprises most is that this movie is a sequel and reboot rolled into one and thankfully the risk factor pays off better than it does in the James Bond example.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I disagree with most of what you've said, jazzcomp, but I don't want to drag out an argument either, so allow me to submit this basic theory: Han may have been a better choice to send after Ren than Leia, because as Leia is Force sensitive, Ren would have sensed her presence. This could endanger the mission to Starkiller Base. Forget flying low to avoid detection, Ren would've sensed Leia's presence at Starkiller the moment that the Falcon exited Hyperspace.

Darth Vader: "I sense something. I presence I've not felt since..."

And it seems that the ability to sense other Force users is even stronger between family members:

Darth Vader: "A small Rebel force has penetrated the shield and landed on Endor."
    Emperor Palpatine: "Yes, I know."
    Darth Vader: "My son is with them."
    Emperor Palpatine: "Are you sure?"
    Darth Vader: "I have felt him, my Master."
    Emperor Palpatine: "Strange that I have not....."
    Ren sensed when Han crashed on Starkiller. That's how they met, Kylo went looking for him.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I managed to avoid nearly all spoilers for this film, and I'm rather surprised but I still haven't seen the "big spoiler" on any of my social media feeds yet. It seems that (most) people are showing respect for not spoiling the movie which I find really good.

The only "spoiler" I had actually seen was in that Batteries ad that had the girl dressed as Rey using the force!

While watching I found myself frustrated by the remake aspect of it. Everytime a familiar plot point or scene from the previous movies came up it took me out of the moment because I could see the "we need an X moment" beneath it. But there was a lot to love and I will be going to see it again.

Rey and Finn were terrific new characters. I'm not 100% convinced about Poe - he seemed to have served his purpose in the tale by the time the TIE crashed - but I did get the queer vibe that others are now talking about (something about the way he was talking to that guy next to his X-Wing) but you know us gays, always looking for representation because we don't get it.

BB-8 was a great droid addition. The scene where Finn is trying to convince him to lie to Ray on the Falcon won me over. When it ended on the comic beat of the thumbs up I laughed out loud. I think that scene would have seemed really cheesy in the prequels, but in this film worked really well.

I was a bit confused about the relationship between the New Republic and the Resistance. I wondered if there's something to be said about the former Rebels and how they just keep looking for a fight even after they "won". How big was the First Order? A Starkiller base and a ship or whole star systems in their grasp? All the planets in this film seemed awfully close to each other too. But these are things that I think about watching a film like this because I'm interested in the big picture of this universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Meister View Post
    I was actually surprised that they actually continued to the "Island" scene (interesting how A certain someone already had that vision in their head, thumbs up on that one), I thought it would finish up with them departing for that journey, I agree though those scenes seemed unnecessarily prolonged, would have been fine to just cut off with the hood lowering, but then again walking up those stairs seemed unnecessary when you have a space ship lol
    Remember this photo of the cast gathering for a script reading?

Now I look at it and see Mark Hamill starting to wonder if he'll be in the film at all. Because I was. It did look like the movie was going to end on the jump to hyperspace cliffhanger - but we still haven't seen Luke Skywalker!

Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post
    Anyone else think Rey is Skywalkers daughter?
    And because surely they knew people would be debating this for years, I was expecting Luke to say "Greetings my daughter". Cut to credits.

But no...

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    Han + Leia = Jania & Jacen (Twins, and Jacen eventually turns Darth), and Anakin
    Luke + Mara Jade (Secret emperors assassin who turns good ) = Ben
    But also because I'm so familiar with the Expanded Universe and Leia and Han having twins, most of the Rey and Kylo scenes suggested that relationship too.

My overall feeling after seeing it was I want to see more of Rey and Finn and BB-8 and am definitely excited to see the next film.

The thing I haven't decided is if it's worth going to see in 3D next time?

Clues that makes me think Rey is Luke's daughter:

1. Similar background - abandoned child on desert planet, finds special droid, gets upset at father-figure getting killed hours after meeting him for first time

2. When Ren is mind-reading Rey, he sees she has visions of an ocean and island - exactly where Luke has exiled himself to

3. The music when the lightsaber flies into Rey's hand and she realises she will take the path of a Jedi, is EXACTLY the same as when Luke comes across his dead aunt and uncle and realises his destiny lies on a different path.

Of course, it could all be one big mind-fcuk

Red face

Just watched the movie and what?! No more Han Solo?! NOooooooo......my favorite character....

I saw it today, in 2D... as I would see it again in 3D if I thought it was worth it.

I didn't allow myself to get hyped up in the last few months leading up to the release, and I was still left disappointed.

The first act was the slowest of the 7 movies, with very little action happening. The opening scene(s) should be intense or foreboding.
    Ep4 had the blockade runner attacked.
    Ep5 had a slow start but had the Hoth battle within half an hour.
    Ep6 started with the reveal of the new Death Star and Emperor.
    Ep1 had a slow start but was exciting to see fully fledged Jedi in action within minutes and then a full invasion force landing on the planet.
    Ep2 started by showing us our first significant look at Corescant, which was pretty amazing visually.
    Ep3 started with a massive space battle above Corescant. (I'm guessing the spelling)

Ep7 starts with a quick slaughter of a small encampment, and then about an hour with Finn and Rey. It took us until about half way into the movie before we even saw the Rebellion/Resistance... which is similar to Ep4, but that one at least had a significant battle at the start to give a good first impression and stick through an hour on Tatooine.

I think if you took out the Ep4-6 characters from the Ep7 story, it would have been panned more than the Ep1 for its Gungans. I actually wanted to see Ep1-3 again at the theatres, but not this one... I am willing to wait until it comes out on DVD before I will want to see it again. Seeing Han, Chewie, the Falcon, Leia and C3PO were the highlights in an otherwise slow moving story that only has me wanting to see the next two movies for their involvement as well as Luke, who is likely to be taking on the role of OB1 of Ep4 - a supportive role that isn't very active until he is about to die.

Knowing that Mark Hamill (Luke) was in the Movie somewhere (from the pre-production publicity and being at the premiere screening) it was in the back of my mind for much of the second half of the movie... wondering if he will suddenly show up to join the fight... but as some have noted, the final scene felt tacked on at the end just to include Luke somewhere (for the publicity). There needed to be more of a search or adventure than just landing on an island and just finding him standing there.
    Because after all, R2D2 had most of the map with him but no one thought to plug him in to get the map by force as soon as BB-8's map was delivered to the Resistance.

I was surprised that there was no mention of Lando (we saw his ROTJ co-pilot), and wonder if he will appear in the next movie... if Billie Dee Williams is keen for it.

The destruction of Corescant felt unnecessary (not to mention, impossible for the Resistance to be able to see it in the midday sky, as their secret base wouldn't have been in the same star system... and even if it was, the distance between planets wouldn't have made it visible).
    They also didn't explain much about the Republic Senate, or how it was re-instigated in just 30 years after the fall of the Empire, who needed a large army to keep in line a galaxy that was now a feudal system of governors in charge of their own star systems, according to Ep4. Without a Jedi Order or Imperial army, the Galaxy would have fractured into independent star systems that now had individuals with a lot of power that would be less likely to surrender it by voluntarily rejoining the new Republic (and the Rebellion wasn't a big enough army to liberate and police all those star systems)

And why are they still the Resistance? They liberated the Galaxy from the Empire and there is now a Republic Senate again... what official body are they resisting if the First Order is shown to be a rebellious army that is operating against the Senate, under the command of their own leader.

Now that some have noted on the first page of this topic how similar the plot is to Ep4, it makes it even more disappointing.

The death of Han was not a surprise to me, so I didn't get shocked or upset. I suspected it was going to happen when Ren spoke about him to his master as a source of conflict (so killing him would prove himself to his master), and then just before Han followed Ren onto the walkway I just knew that it was not going to end well. It is sad, but I guess those older characters will have to get killed off or disappear somehow to make way for the new generation to take on the spotlight. I just don't like how certain story writers are required to include a major death for no benefit than ticking the box of having a "tragic" element to appease their Directors & Producers as well as Movie Reviewers... when a good story doesn't do something so permanent on a major or fan favourite character, that prevents future potential plots, and upset the fans you are supposed to be attracting to spend more money on future movies or re-watching that movie.
    As Transformers fans, we saw what happened in 1986 when Optimus and other significant Autobots were killed off in the Animated movie... he was supposed to stay dead, but Hasbro had to retcon it due to the backlash of fans, as including the required "tragic" plot element in the Movie was not a good idea (and rarely is... as we see when major characters are killed off in the comics - it upsets more readers who loved that character and will no longer see them, than those who actually got sadistic enjoyment from their death).

I give the movie a 5 out of 10.

I forgot to mention one thing that kept bugging me through the movie was their new "cutesy" droid for the kids... it used similar sounds as Wall-E, which was also a Disney film, so I think they recycled robotic sound effects from their existing sound library instead of giving it a new unique sound.
    Some times after beeping I was expecting it to start talking like Wall-E... spoiling the serious tone at times.