Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111626 ... LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece Optimus Primal

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    Are we still going on about this? I don't get this whole idea of an MP being nothing more than an update thing, to me an MP is a collector aimed toy that commemorates a particular toy or character.
    From what I'm seeing, the Masterpiece line is about taking classic characters and giving them new figures with current toy engineering. Since they're 'updating' classic characters, it's not hard to see why some people think the Masterpiece line is about 'updates'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    The original Primal toy was awesome and still holds it own today (though sadly this may also be due to declining quality in some modern toys) but he's no MP, and he was released 18 years ago, assuming he comes out next year that's the same amount of time as we had between G1 Optimus and MP 01, so isn't it time to get some collectors grade Beast Wars toys for all the kids who grew up with that, and weren't able to buy an original Optimus Primal in the 90's?
    I think this is the issue. Personally, yes, I think Beast Wars deserves 'recognition' in the form of new figures, Masterpiece or not - it's probably the best thing that's ever happened to the franchise. I think it's good that some season 1 characters have had new toys made in the Classics/Universe/Generations lines and are more screen-accurate as a result. The question seems to be whether or not Optimus Primal would 'benefit' from the Masterpiece treatment, because the original figure is already considered very good and just needed a few tweaks to make it more screen-accurate. That's not to say there isn't room for improvement, just that that improvement may not be as easy to see as it is between a G1 toy and its corresponding Masterpiece figure.

Quote Originally Posted by High_Q View Post
    I think these are the first images of Masterpiece Optimus Primal:

https://www.facebook.com/40787394596...type=3&theater
    It's kind of cool that the prototype looks like CGI animation model.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    From what I'm seeing, the Masterpiece line is about taking classic characters and giving them new figures with current toy engineering. Since they're 'updating' classic characters, it's not hard to see why some people think the Masterpiece line is about 'updates'.
    I understand this, and yet we have two iterations of Optimus Prime in the MP line, from a update point of view MP 10 is utterly unnecessary, all he adds over his predecessor is some more toon accurate aesthetics. and based on what I've seen I'll be surprised if this MP Primal doesn't bring that and a lot more to the table then MP 10.

That said MP10 is now the Prime toy of choice for many MP collectors owing to the MP's that were released after him, and scaled closely to him. So I'd love to see this MP Primal sell well and love to see more MP Beast Wars toys all at this scale, sure the original Primal mold was awesome, much the same way the original Optimus was one of the best of it's time, but once they've got their obligatory Prime/Primal out of the way imagine how cool a MP Dinobot could be!

Fun facts: MP Beast Convoy is being released in 2016. 2016 is the Year of the Monkey.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Fun facts: MP Beast Convoy is being released in 2016. 2016 is the Year of the Monkey.
    Yotm version may be more appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Yotm version may be more appealing.
    To who?
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    To who?
    Beats me personally I am not a fan of this piece so I am actually going to leave this thread till more actual toy footage is revealed.

There are a few members here who are excited so I guess they be the ones who will get variations if it is released.

Maked more sense to have a bape version too.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    To who?
    I agree as well! I have no idea who would buy the YOTM version! If they re-released Transmetal Primal or Optimal Optimus, then i'd be all over it! But I ain't even gonna get him on discount, I just have no connection to Beast Machines, and the mold doesn't even look good to catch my interest anyway.

At least it's a monkey+! And IMO the Air Attack Optimus Primal mould is actually pretty good. I don't know if I necessarily want them in those outlandish colours though. But at least they've FINALLY chosen a mould that's relevant to this year's Lunar Calendar patron animal!

Cos so far we've had:
    * Year of the Dragon Optimus Prime - Peterbilt truck (not a dragon!)
    * Year of the Snake Optimus Prime - truck (not a snake!)
    * Year of the Snake Omega Supreme - train & battleship (not a snake!)
    * Year of the Horse Optimus Prime - Freightliner truck (not a horse!)
    * Year of the Horse Starscream - jet (not a horse!)
    * Year of the Sheep☆ Optimus Prime - Western Star truck (not a caprid!)
    * Year of the Sheep☆ Soundwave - walkman & cassettes (not a caprid!)
    * Year of the Monkey Optimus Primal - gorilla (it's a primate!)

------------------------
    + While from a scientific and Western POV, gorillas are strictly apes not monkeys, from a Sino-Japanese cultural-linguistic POV, monkeys and gorillas are often synonymous. Year of the Primate.
    ☆ Some cultures may call it the Year of the Goat, but the Japanese call it the Year of the Sheep. Or we can just call it Year of the Caprid and cover all bases.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    ☆ Some cultures may call it the Year of the Goat, but the Japanese call it the Year of the Sheep. Or we can just call it Year of the Caprid and cover all bases.
    The zodiac toys aren't by TakaraTomy and are noted as "Chinese New Year" toys, making the "year of the sheep" notation inaccurate for those two toys.

And even if they were produced for the Japanese market, the packaging has "Goat" on them... over-ruling whatever zodiac animal is applicable in the country they are sold in.