Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast

Thread: TFA/Animated Comments thread

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    + Autobot Elite Guards... where are their WEAPONS?
    As per the comic, they have fire/wind superpowers so they don't need weapons.

+ Individual jet modes are fail. They remind me of the Pretenders where I just look at them and think, "that's meant to be a jet??" Bits of flames and ice are not wings. The legs that just hang out the back there are also just cringeworthy IMO (though strangely also a homage to G1 Jetfire's transformation, although G1 Jetfire has stuff that goes over the legs, these guys don't).
    The jet modes remind of of Star Saber with the "V" shape jet with a gap at the back.
    A bit more streamline then Star Saber though
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot
    As per the comic, they have fire/wind superpowers so they don't need weapons.
    Yeah but I'm appraising it purely from a toy POV. Fiction aside those toys are unarmed. Makes them feel more like superhero toys than TF toys - everyone knows Superman doesn't need weapons... but it feels out fo place with Transformers who are usually armed.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Phoenix
    The jet modes remind of of Star Saber with the "V" shape jet with a gap at the back.
    A bit more streamline then Star Saber though
    I've played with G1 Star Sabre and I have Robot Masters Star Sabre -- the original Star Sabre toy is not a very good toy in the first place so you're not really comparing these with a decent Transformer. Having said that...
    1/ The V-Star isn't the main jet mode, it's like a booster pack thingie. The core Brainmaster robot is the primary jet.
    2/ The rear of the V-Star doesn't look as undone as on Jetfire and Jetstorm. The legs don't look like legs in that mode. At least with the V-Star the feet flip up and it has proper wings.
    3/ Star Sabre was made in 1989. These toys came out in 2008. One would expect some better quality 19 years later...

btw you can't pic link from TFU.info. Here's a gooderer pic of Star Sabre.

Jetfire and Jetstorm's plastic quality are much better than Star Sabre's though... of course, I've seen knock offs that have better plastic than Star Sabre. (-_-)

Can't Golden Phoenix simply say that it reminds him of Star Saber for some reason without you trying to prove him wrong? He didn't compare it to Star Saber, he said it reminds him of it in jet mode
    Last edited by jacksplatt11; 28th December 2008 at 11:56 AM.

North Melbourne-bot...?

I'm not saying he's wrong, I'm merely submitting my own opinion.

If Golden Phoenix happens to like/enjoy Animated Jetfire and Jetstorm's jet modes, then good for him. My comments merely reflect why I'm disappointed with these toys.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 28th December 2008 at 01:22 PM.

+ Autobot Elite Guards... where are their WEAPONS?
    See kids, this is where imagination comes in handy.

It came to mind when you mentioned the jet modes, and I wanted to see if others made the same connection. It was a neutral statement.

I kind of think they look like a X-Wing with Y-Wing boosters instead of the wing/engines, with maybe more covering then both of those. But I think as individual jets they are pretty good.

Combined is a meh, but they weren't going to be able to pull off the combined jet mode in a deluxe size figure anyway.
    If only they could move Jetfire's arms some where else but still leave the shoulder intakes where they are in jet mode, then you could kind of get the comic's combined jet mode, which looks pretty good
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Quote Originally Posted by SilverDragon
    See kids, this is where imagination comes in handy.
    Here's a cheaper toy for the imaginative child...

Seriously... for $37 I would've liked some weaponry, even if it was sculpted on to save money on accessories.

I have played with the toys and yeah, I've had to use my imagination... just had to consciously make sure my mind didn't conjure up this kind of image...
    <--FAIL

...and I tried to conjure up images more like these:
    Jetstorm's attack-->
    Jetfire's attack-->
    ...I even have Jetfire saying, "Flame On!" and covering his own body with fire. Cheese anyone?

I personally also give Jetstorm a somewhat "cooler" disposition and voice, although I try to make him still sound like Jetfire since they're twins - I basically make them sound the same only that Jetfire is more "zesty" and excited while Jetstorm is more composed... not too composed, he's still basically the same over-confident borderline goofy archetype that I make Jetfire out to be.

Reading the comic, I really hate the 'plot device' of Autobots not being able to fly returning. It made no sense in Gen-1 (even though they were flying in the first episode), and still makes no sense now... 'Decepticon programming???' what the heck???

I know it makes for a more dramatic climax/conclusion to one or two stories, but it just spoils every other story, especially when they have to travel great distances. If they could fly, it'd make sense when they end up in another city or country, but driving??? Yeah, that's a good trade-off so they can have *one* good story...

Also thought it was strange that Magnus was praising Sentinel. In the cartoon he appeared to be annoyed with his arrogance. Maybe this is something that will be used in the 3rd season, to make sure that Optimus still has to treat Sentinel as his superior.

And I wonder if this comic issue will be replayed in the cartoon, or if the cartoon will just suddenly have them appear, or introduce them in a different way. Or maybe not have them at all in the cartoon...
    On the other hand, the comic series and any in-pack comics, are a good way of introducing new characters or giving background to new characters, to allow the cartoon to move more fluidly with story and action.

I was thinking that the comic in the 2-pack was a bit of a waste of an *entire* comic issue (being 'free'), but considering how many toy 2-packs would have been produced, it would probably have been IDW's biggest print run of any of their TFs comics, and Hasbro would probably have paid them enough to cover it's production (so less risk than a comic-shop issue).

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Reading the comic, I really hate the 'plot device' of Autobots not being able to fly returning. It made no sense in Gen-1 (even though they were flying in the first episode), and still makes no sense now... 'Decepticon programming???' what the heck???
    It makes even less sense since we know Omega Supreme can fly. (As can Swoop, but his Autobot status is dubious.)