Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Financial Crisis

Quote Originally Posted by hungta View Post
    I'm finding it tough at the moment looking for an entry level position myself. You wouldn't believe the spiel they gave us at graduation last week. It was pretty stupid and I sat there wanting to yell a profanity out at Terry McCrann.

Good thing you've got yourself a job lined up STL. I've been looking for a position since March this year with no luck due to my lack of interview technique which has now improved but I am struggling to even get an interview now.

Word on the street is that there aren't many new jobs now as the market for finance/banking has tightened. I'm not sure about the other industries, but that's the way it looks at the moment.
    At this time of year, there's also not much at entry level positions. Next March is your best bet but as you've noted, there's been tightening in that area. If you want though, we could sit down and go through interview questions/cover letters and the like one day not to mention chat about TFs. Best of luck. My sister starts lookin' next year too and I already am worrying for her.

(and I'd just skip my graduation but that's just me)
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Thanks for the offer STL. I'd like to meet the rest of the Melbourne crew as well. Hopefully I'm more organised and make myself available to come out to the City or something.

I couldn't be bothered with graduating either but you only do it once, so make the most of it. Mine was particularly good as I received my RK order the same day so I had something to be happy about (:

Hungta, we have a poll in the Meetings section trying to pick a date for our next meet. You should go voice your availability.

Back on topic (or maybe further off?), anything that helps elect Obama over McCain (which this crisis does), is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    As I have no assets and work in IT, I am not concerned in the least.
    hahah Jay had his big scare at 2000 ,with the Y2K and IT bubble burst...

but it is scary to think we could potential lose our savings even through Australian banks are capitalized and have diversified assets, if the true extent as we seeing now materialize ,assets loss from overseas with have a knock-on effect on your assets held by our financial institutions. I have about $10 in my bank account but others may lose their life savings and i hate to think how superannuation will be affected in the long-term
    Wanted items:
    eHobby Orion Pax and Dion

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Our banks are fine, especially since they pull this crap all the time.

Plus our economy is more tied to China.

Plus this is a cycle that is long overdue in the stocks markets anyway. They do have ups and downs. People keep forgetting that. Looks like we have a big reset happening right now.

Same as housing. It has ~7 year cycles too.

Bottom line, it'll all be back. And yes, the US did waste 700million $. Oh yea, and it's more like the US/Europe/UK crisis. The rest of the world is doing great.
    Last edited by MV75; 7th October 2008 at 09:36 AM.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Yeah the Western world is just in decline generally.

You worry too much STL. When I finished high school the nation was in the grip of Labor's 'recession we had to have' with interest rates around 17%, businesses failing everywhere and a youth unemployment rate of 40%.
    Great times!
    Our country is fine and no-one is going to starve anytime soon. The majority of our fellow humans lack clean water and a working toilet so you gotta put it in perspective.
    We have just become used to being spoilt, indulgent, obese consumers with an overabundance of useless crap and a lack of spirituality over our greedy, obscene materialism.
    Don't fret. Just get some retail therapy and start feeling good about things again.

The state of our dollar makes me sad the most

Current Wants:
    Shadow Scyther

Quote Originally Posted by lcz128 View Post
    The state of our dollar makes me sad the most
    me too! been saving for my marriage in Singapore and now for every A$1..it's just S$1.06. so sad!!! wished it was other way round

how many more months till the marriage? Makes one want to have invested in derivatives waaaaaaaay earlier :b (not that I'd have the volume of cash required for such transactions, but still... )

Current Wants:
    Shadow Scyther

Quote Originally Posted by lcz128 View Post
    how many more months till the marriage? Makes one want to have invested in derivatives waaaaaaaay earlier :b (not that I'd have the volume of cash required for such transactions, but still... )
    luckily it's still more than a year to go...so let's hope the tide turns my way then, else more money will have to be coming out of my pockets