Quote Originally Posted by Akky82 View Post
1600 give or take (including win10) have to replace the hard drive in my laptop to hand-me-down it to my wife because her old hand-me-down laptop is pretty much gone (battery, screen, some keys (damn kids heh), slow as). My laptop has a small ssd (older 190MB/s ~225GB) at the moment, it wont be enough for her.
Ok, so here's a list that should be good for you that's under budget. Note I used PC Case Gear for the prices as they are not the cheapest therefore keeping it 100% under budget. So since you're in Brisbane going into you're local Umart should let you get them cheaper as Umart is a cheaper retailer.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/xgrMFt

I went with the 8600K as although there are people that are screaming "6 threads isn't enough" when you actually look at benchmarks single core clock is king and there is no real difference between the 8700K and 8600K.

The Noctua cooler you went with is perfectly adequate for a 5ghz overclock at 1.35ish volts which is a very safe overclock. You won't have your CPU go up in smoke with that speed and voltage.

The Strix motherboard is Asus and it's a very highly guarded one.

The memory you went with is fine for gaming.

While there is nothing wrong with a 970 Evo, by going to a MX500 you get double the capacity for a similar price and the extra speed of the 970 Evo is lost on non-data heavy workloads like gaming and operating systems.

The WD Black is faster but it's loud, the WD Blue is quiet but incredibly slow. The WD Red however is quiet, fairly fast and super reliable.

The case is your choice but the Meshify C is cheap, looks amazing and is highly regarded.

PSU is where you don't want to cheap out. A bad PSU will literally kill your components so a very highly regarded brand like Corsair or SeaSonic is much preferable.

Windows 10 Home is all you need, don't waste your money on Pro.