View Poll Results: How did you first watch TFTM?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cinema

12 34.29%
  • Video cassette tape

14 40.00%
  • Laser disc

0 0%
  • DVD or Blu-Ray

2 5.71%
  • Other (please specify)

7 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you first watch The Transformers The Movie?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How did you first watch The Transformers The Movie?

How/where did you watch The Transformers: The Movie (1986) for the first time? I watched it in the cinema. George St. Hoyts to be precise.

Cinema - I *think* - when I was a boy. Saw it heeeeeaps more often after that on video cassette, my Dad used to let me hire it from the local video store regularly.

I think the cinema I used to frequent most often was Waverley Gardens in Mulgrave, Victoria. My first definite memory of going to that cinema was seeing the Tim Burton Batman film in 1990, only 4 years after TF:TM, so while I don't have a specific memory of which cinema I went to, that's the most likely.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Other..........
    On the TV. I grew up in an area with only two channels, ABC and a regional version of Nine.
    We happened to be holidaying at a place called Lake Boga in Victoria over the school holidays, either summer or easter because we went there to water ski.
    Lake Boga I think had the regional version of 10 (iirc) and low and behold they had the movie on!!
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Was it on New Year's Day? I remember when they used to play TFTM every year on NYD.

Dvd and/or vhs rental sometime in mid 2000s, but it kept bugging out at the Quintesson execution scenes. I was huge into the G1 cartoon from about 2003 to 2007, when they played it all the time on Boomerang. I eventually gravitated a little more to Cybertron in 2005-6 and the movies thereafter, but I'd always go back to the G1 cartoon.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Was it on New Year's Day? I remember when they used to play TFTM every year on NYD.
    Quite possiby, thinking back now it was quite hot so it would have been summer school holidays. definitely pre 1990 too.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Saw it at the Entrance Cinema on Boxing day. Even made off with the movie poster.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    How did you watch The Transformers: The Movie (1986) for the first time?
    Light from the projected movie images passed through my cornea, the outermost part of my eyeball, where it began to be focused. Then it entered my pupil, a small opening that leads to my lens. Once the light from the movie made it past the pupil, it hits the lens, a surface where it was further focused through a process called accommodation. Finally, the light hit my retina, a layer of tissue that lines the inner part of my eye. The retina began the process of turning the light into an image.

I thought it was quite good.

I'm surprised that there was such a high percentage who saw it in theatres... 30 years ago.
    Makes you feel old to realise it's been over 30 years since you first got into this hobby.

Laserdisc is an option, but not TV???

Did anyone here even own laserdiscs back then (to use, not as souvenirs)?

Hands up those who have the Transformers Movie on laserdisc, but have never used it, or ever will?

(not that I'm making fun of it, as I almost bought the recent Vinyl edition of the Movie Soundtrack, as a souvenir, because I would probably never be able to use it)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Laserdisc is an option, but not TV???

Did anyone here even own laserdiscs back then (to use, not as souvenirs)?
    The TV option slipped my mind. People will just to vote "Other" and specify it.
    We didn't get LD until the 90s, and we never had TFTM although a friend of mine did.