Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: SDCC Preview Breakfast - first look at Power of the Primes toys

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    Look, I might just be getting old and stupid here, but I'm not really sure what the gimmick is here.
    There were slides from the show that made the gimmick clearer.

PrimeMasters hide in shells that become weapons. In robot mode they ride Legend class vehicles.

The PrimeMasters transform into power cores that can plug into deluxes and voyagers in a similar way to Minicons could attach to Bulks in Armada. (It appears they may also trigger a gimmick in Voyagers).

They can also replace the matrix of the leader class toy.

For deluxes, voyagers and leaders the PrimeMasters grant a "special power" to the larger robot (but like the Titan Masters and their special powers it's just text not an actual thing except Voyagers maybe)

For backward compatibility the three deluxes (so far) are also combiner limbs and the voyager has what looks like combiner limb connection points.

The power cores can also take the place of a Titan Master on Titans Return toys (giving the Transformer a head very reminiscent of a Celestial from Marvel comics).

And thinking about it plugging these "cores" into Overlord's chest make more sense than those pics of him holding other heads there.

morg176 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Beachcomber and skullgrin/LM look very nice, but have to see them in hand
    The rest are iffish

Would like to see what other pretender shells are going to be used

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    Also I am thinking we could see some Turbomasters appear. Jazz reminds me of Hurricane or Flash? And Rodimus could be Thunderclash.
    I'd totally be up for some updated Turbomasters, especially a Thunderclash-from-Rodimus-base-mold.

So far I'm actually liking a lot of what I'm seeing, even if a lot of it isn't necessarily on my to-get list. The backwards-compatilibity aspect is good, they're still covering reasonably diverse characters as pre/re-molds along with the classic/default characters as the 'core' mold, and it looks like the molds have been designed such that they could be used for more haven't-had-updated-versions-yet characters.
    I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, and yeah, it's kind of cheap, but at this point in my collection that's pretty much ideal for me. I already have a Starscream and an Optimus and a Megatron, but I don't have, say, a Skyquake. If HasTakTom can do those characters as variants on molds of 'core' characters and it helps cover the costs of the tooling, and if the toys are still decent, then good says I.

Based on what we've seen of the general line of gimmicks/overall direction, I'm pretty happy with it.

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I am looking for toys to teach the kids the awesomeness of G1. For example timing meant that the Cons are built around CW Leaders Megatron, Starscream and Soundwave. But that means finding suitable henchmen. The TR cons have been good for that with a good mix of voyagers and deluxes. But I have been left short good Ssekers. This Starscream could have been it. But with its odd proportions and possible combiner ports who knows what they are planning. A Seeker army of combiner torsos would be very odd.

So where are all the Beasts... combiners or Beast Wars homages?

There was a lot of hope that Beasts would be the theme of the third chapter, but so far there hasn't even been a hint of it.

Maybe next year's toyline then.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post

There was a lot of hope that Beasts would be the theme of the third chapter, but so far there hasn't even been a hint of it.

Yep. And in their stead, behold the majesty of the 13 Primes!

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

FatalityPitt Guest

Wasn't an Optimus Primal Titanmaster announced? I believe it's gonna be released in the same wave as Toraizer.

I presumed they were holding it back for announcement at Hascon

Quote Originally Posted by Verno View Post
    Yep. And in their stead, behold the majesty of the 13 Primes!
    Nice. Can't wait for more reveals

FatalityPitt Guest

TBH, the only toys from PotP that has my attention at the moment are the Rodimus Prime and the Primemasters (I'd like to have a whole town of Titan/Primemasters )