Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Movie Identification

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Recommended Japanese movie for scifi and TF fans:

This is the movie that inspired Dreamworks to make a live-action Transformers movie.* I must admit that when I saw this movie I immediately started about the possibility of a TF movie.

Here is the "inspirational" scene <--!SPOILER ALERT!

*iirc in one of the DVD interviews either Spielberg or someone from Dreamworks (not Bay) said that they'd seen a Japanese movie which had a transformation scene in it which then prompted them to consider making a Transformers movie.
    P.S.: I think the DVD also mentioned that they were also inspired by the Michael Smith VW short and the transforming Citroën ads.
    Returner is awesome! I remember when I first watched this film I couldn't stop listening to one of the songs on the soundtrack 'Take me to the Place'.

i have a jap film that needs a name

It was really like an X rated blue film

it was set in samurai periods, it featured a widower of a samurai.

A trio i think, of ninja?? sisters who fight some guys. One of them gets turned into a tree and makes out with the enemy.

And there is a white woman who uses 'magic moving picture scroll" to seduce some Dojo master.

Im sure the name of the filum was something like ninja scroll, yes im aware of "Ninja scroll"

Still havent seen Battle Royale

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post

Blasphemy Roller. Battle Royale is an awesome film and considering some of the youth in our society I'm leaning more and more towards it's whole concept being introduced. We have a 16 yr old apprentice at work who saw me reading a Stephen King novel and he didn't know who he was... So I ask "Do you know who Orson Welles is?"... Can anyone guess his response? I mean the fact that he voiced Unicron is a bonus to us TF fans but this kid from his oh so self obsessed generation wasn't even aware of one of the greatest authors ever. I'll have to take my frustrations out on the younger ones like Roller and Kuzzy next time I see them
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    i have a jap film that needs a name

It was really like an X rated blue film

it was set in samurai periods, it featured a widower of a samurai.

A trio i think, of ninja?? sisters who fight some guys. One of them gets turned into a tree and makes out with the enemy.

And there is a white woman who uses 'magic moving picture scroll" to seduce some Dojo master.

Im sure the name of the filum was something like ninja scroll, yes im aware of "Ninja scroll"

Possibly Erotic Ghost Story, it used to spin on World Movies all the time about 12 years ago when it first started up. I don't think I ever actually watched it tho, but I couldn't avoid the promos.

Battle Royale is excellent if somewhat misunderstood. Same with Ichi the Killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    Blasphemy Roller. Battle Royale is an awesome film and considering some of the youth in our society I'm leaning more and more towards it's whole concept being introduced. We have a 16 yr old apprentice at work who saw me reading a Stephen King novel and he didn't know who he was... So I ask "Do you know who Orson Welles is?"... Can anyone guess his response? I mean the fact that he voiced Unicron is a bonus to us TF fans but this kid from his oh so self obsessed generation wasn't even aware of one of the greatest authors ever. I'll have to take my frustrations out on the younger ones like Roller and Kuzzy next time I see them
    Heh, you might have to kick your own ass first I think you've confused master movie director/actor Orson Welles (inital broadcast of War of the Worlds) with master author H.G. Wells (writer of War of the Worlds, The Time Machine, The Island of Doctor Moreau, The Invisible Man... ).

Unless you're referring to the movies he wrote (Citizen Cane, Touch of Evil,,,)

+1 for Returner (despite a touch horrific Engrish and I didn't like the ending, although I can't really remember it anymore).

I went on a MASSIVE Asian movie binge about 5 years ago when I got broadband and belonged to some great indie torrent movie sites (, great times for a geek ). The Koreans were really kicking back then too, but there was alot of good stuff available.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Ahh Battle Royale, I've wanted to see it for a while now but never got around too it.. After exams all I do is watch movies so I'll check it out then

North Melbourne-bot...?

Quote Originally Posted by Tober View Post

Heh, you might have to kick your own ass first I think you've confused master movie director/actor Orson Welles (inital broadcast of War of the Worlds) with master author H.G. Wells (writer of War of the Worlds, The Time Machine, The Island of Doctor Moreau, The Invisible Man... ).

Unless you're referring to the movies he wrote (Citizen Cane, Touch of Evil,,,)
    I actually was referring to Orson Welles as this kids parents own the local cinema and are big movie buffs (and this is a movie based thread). But after reading this I asked him if he knew who H.G Wells was and got the same stupid blank expression.

EDIT: I have since asked this kid about numerous celebrities over the past century. The only positive response I got was "Michael Jordan... He played basketball right?"
    Last edited by Bartrim; 28th October 2008 at 01:36 PM.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Ok, cool. Back in year 9 we studied War of the Worlds in English, several students confused Welles with Wells because of the association.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Battle Royale is hilarious, it's a fantastic movie. I'll have to get myself a Returner dvd as well.

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Recommended Japanese movie for scifi and TF fans:

This is the movie that inspired Dreamworks to make a live-action Transformers movie.* I must admit that when I saw this movie I immediately started about the possibility of a TF movie.

Here is the "inspirational" scene <--!SPOILER ALERT!
    I found that clip when I was actually looking for the Tf movie trailer. Someone had listed it as the official Transformers trailer. I was almost disappointed coz I though, "there was no 747 in G1!!"

Weather woman 1 was funny as
    Wanted items:
    eHobby Orion Pax and Dion