Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Scathing Review for Hasbro 25th prime

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I haven't tried the soundbox; is that a "try in package" thing? I guess I didn't look close enough.
    try in package and its grrrrrreat

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I don't think it looks that terrible.
    The pink is... random... but not awful. I don't think it looks compelling at $100 - certainly not to random Joe Christmas buying something for little Johnny.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    australian releases have no dvd?
    Correct.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!!!!!!

Is there a reason?

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!!!!!!

Is there a reason?
    Region codes, USA being NTSC, Australian being PAL et etc.

Not that it matters much, so many DVD players play multi-regions and the like.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Region codes, USA being NTSC, Australian being PAL et etc.
    Not that it matters much, so many DVD players play multi-regions and the like.
    Since it is both those factors (NTSC vs PAL, Region 1 vs Region 4), distributors in this country can't take the risk of upsetting kids or parents who haven't got a NTSC compatible TV AND Region free DVD player. Even though this reissue is aimed at adult collectors, retailers see it as just a toy, and would have demanded it be 'kid-friendly' with safety and DVD compatability - because it would be the retailers who would most likely get the complaints or do the refunds if there are any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    After this its very hard to argue that Hasbro takes pride in its releases. However what I don't understand is the obsession which bright fluro type colors. Why does Hasbro Prime need to be always that Pinkish red? The DVD MP Prime had that color too. I can't believe that this color would be any cheaper than the traditional red so its just a stupid decision.
    For plastic colouring it is cheaper. Working in the plastic industry for a number of years, plastic dyes are expensive enough to have it being cut back as one of their recent cost-cutting measures. It's just a balancing measure to see how far they can cut back, without going too pale.
    But that would only explain the pale grey trailer, even though I'd think it would be a rather negligable cost difference.
    I can't comment on the pinkish paint on the metal cab front, but it's possible it has the same issue, with the dye costing more than the base white paint. It would also be negligable, but, when you think that these toys are produced in the hundreds of thousands of units, requiring thousands of kilos of plastic and paint, it might be enough of a margin to make the toys more profitable to do.

It's only more profitable if they sell them, if they sit on the shelves then it's just dead money and if they have to drastically reduce the price later to get them off the shelves then they may only break even on that particular item. I haven't seen the new reissue but surely they could have got a close colour match between the plastic and the paint work without cutting into their profits, they may have had someone that was colour blind trying to match the colours(you just never know).

Quote Originally Posted by 1orion2many View Post
    It's only more profitable if they sell them, if they sit on the shelves then it's just dead money and if they have to drastically reduce the price later to get them off the shelves then they may only break even on that particular item. I haven't seen the new reissue but surely they could have got a close colour match between the plastic and the paint work without cutting into their profits, they may have had someone that was colour blind trying to match the colours(you just never know).
    The lighter gray trailer is not really an issue for me and I would have looked past the short smoke stacks to support the 25th Anniversary toyline but the pink just killed the deal. Also as 1Orion2many mentioned, there is no point to cost cutting like that when they are going to end up as shelf warmers due to the massive amounts that the stores have bought only to be sold in retail at half price or less. I know that the store is Hasbro's costumer and their profit is already made but this will end up looking bad on Hasbro in the long run when their costumer (the stores) is unable to move the toys and have to end up selling them at a severely cut down price. All they had to do was give it a proper red color and that would have been enough for many.

now that i know that the Aust. release has no dvd, the incentive to purchase this is even lower.

Id rather fork out $100 for a 2nd hand G2 optimus prime wit voicebox

now that i know that the Aust. release has no dvd, the incentive to purchase this is even lower.

Id rather fork out $100 for a 2nd hand G2 optimus prime wit voicebox
    Yeah, I would have much preferred they just used the old G2 voicebox (but with a new Peter Cullen voice chip of course), something that can actually form part of the toy.