Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The last shuddering gasp of Toys R Us Australia

Other is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

TRU Frankston was on it's last day today and was well and truly picked clean, there wasn't much left beyond the shelving. Even almost all of the Star Wars stuff that hadn't moved the previous weeks was gone.

Garden City is now closed.

This was the final 30 minutes....

And at 10 to 5pm, it was all closed up and empty...

25 years... there were good times, and bad times... and I think we will miss it more than we will miss how much of a pain in the butt it was to sometimes get hold of their exclusives or certain items at a decent price.
    At least I'll have this to remember them by...

Toys R Us Cannington closes today. Store has practically been stripped bare of toys. No Marvel, Lego...all gone. Only thing left of “worth” was a bunch of Finn, Rose, Hux and Paige The Last Jedi figures...and even they were disappearing fast.

For what its worth I got a Rose, Paige and Force Link accessory (with Kylo Ren). My wife got five various posters to stick up in the classroom.

Saw a staff member taking a panorama of the store, looked like she was on the verge of tears which was just heartbreaking to see. Wished the cashier all the best then that was it...

Vale Toys R Us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    Toys R Us Cannington closes today. Store has practically been stripped bare of toys. No Marvel, Lego...all gone. Only thing left of “worth” was a bunch of Finn, Rose, Hux and Paige The Last Jedi figures...and even they were disappearing fast.

For what its worth I got a Rose, Paige and Force Link accessory (with Kylo Ren). My wife got five various posters to stick up in the classroom.

Saw a staff member taking a panorama of the store, looked like she was on the verge of tears which was just heartbreaking to see. Wished the cashier all the best then that was it...

Vale Toys R Us.
    Yes it’s very sad as Cannington was my local store. Went there yesterday and spent up on some Star Wars stuff and $3.50 Brickheadz for parts. I’d probably shed a tear myself if I went there today so avoided it.

Galvatran Guest

80% off & more. Today only (last day).

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post

Vale Toys R Us.
    The next Nexus will be interesting. I suspect we'll see a few things that have glutted TRU over it's last weeks being sold at Nexus for the next 5 years.

It's been sad to see people pick it apart. As annoying as it's been to walk in and out of the store for however many years due to big droughts between new stock, it played it's part in my own collection.

Had to laugh when checking out Toyworlds website their big banner on the home page saying ‘We’re Open For Business!’

Betting all the other toy shops aren’t lamenting TRU’s demise either

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Toyworld on Kessels Road has been advertising itself as Australia's number one toy store for weeks.

I have to say that I don't have much emotional attachment to Toys r Us. Growing up in more rural areas it was the American interloper that put the toy stores of my childhood out of business.

Good luck to the staff and I hope they find new employment.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost View Post
    The next Nexus will be interesting. I suspect we'll see a few things that have glutted TRU over it's last weeks being sold at Nexus for the next 5 years.

It's been sad to see people pick it apart. As annoying as it's been to walk in and out of the store for however many years due to big droughts between new stock, it played it's part in my own collection.
    Yeah... we'll definitely be seeing loads of Marvel Legends, Star Wars, at Nexus... the sad thing was hearing from the staff at Cannington there were quite a few shoplifters who took this opportunity to pick on a lot of merchandise.
    Even plucking off heads for Spiderman toys that were packaged open with wire ties.
    Like what on earth do you gain out of that?
    Those toys couldn't be sold for what they should as they're considered damaged as a result.
    They had to employ store security as a result of some shoplifters who'll come back daily at very specific times... like what the heck?

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChlorHex View Post
    Yeah... we'll definitely be seeing loads of Marvel Legends, Star Wars, at Nexus... the sad thing was hearing from the staff at Cannington there were quite a few shoplifters who took this opportunity to pick on a lot of merchandise.
    Even plucking off heads for Spiderman toys that were packaged open with wire ties.
    Like what on earth do you gain out of that?
    Those toys couldn't be sold for what they should as they're considered damaged as a result.
    They had to employ store security as a result of some shoplifters who'll come back daily at very specific times... like what the heck?
    Was happening in some of the western vic stores as well (the shop lifters).

I can understand whole figures but some cases left me scratching my head, what was there to gain out of it, as some sort of sick trophy, to kick a dying company as it lays down, before I used to pass off such things as cheap parents/destructive kids but it became quite noticeable, but maybe its because I work in retail and I can spot evidence of vandalism/shop lifting a mile away -_-