Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Guinness World Record for the biggest collection of Transformers

I'm lol'ing at the reply to the first comment from the article Griffin linked.
    It's not always worth the trouble flexing. There's always someone bigger, badder & better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    It's the largest recorded by Guinness
    Are there bigger collections out there? Absolutely.
    Have they been verified to date? No. The 2 aren't exclusively mutual.
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The issue is if a person with a Guinness Record arrogantly (or ignorantly) believes that there aren't any others that are bigger or better.
    I certainly agree with the technicality of the claim. However, personally you know that you are a fraud. Don't know what he gains from it. If you want to have a Guiness World Record for yourself, go ahead. If you want a Record that is untrue, it's just blatant dishonesty

It's just like writing a technical/scientific finding. You have to actually research that there's no previous paper that already has done it. Otherwise, your paper will be disproven anyway.

If I claim to be the tallest person (with a guiness world record), a picture of someone else that's taller automatically disproves that whether or not he has a guiness world record. It's not like he won a competition like the world's strongest man and have a guiness world record for it.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I'm lol'ing at the reply to the first comment from the article Griffin linked.
    It's not always worth the trouble flexing. There's always someone bigger, badder & better.
    I didn't bother clicking on the link before... now you made me.

Previously I mentioned that I'm okay with non-toys being included in the count.

Now, having seen the count, I retract that statement.

I was referring to things like statues, Mighty Mugs, plush, random memorabilia.... I did not intend for the count to include 278 trading cards and 249 comic books. What's next? Do I count my 50 odd posters and lithographs?

Maybe count it per set?

Action series cards, yes = 1
    Panini stickers, yes = 1
    TFCCG, yes = 1
    Marvel run, yes = 1

I dunno... whole new can of worms that I shouldn't have mentioned... I just couldn't stop my self.

Do Guinness consider doubles when counting?

The record title is for merchandise, not toys... and even though Transformers started as a toyline (which is actually merchandise, like how you'd refer to toys of a movie), I think we all have non-toy merchandise in our collections. The number of toys may be a comparative standard used by many collectors of a Brand that started as a toyline, but a "Transformers collection" doesn't mean just toys.
    That said, I wouldn't be too impressed if someone bought up thousands of cheap unwanted trading cards or comics and applied for a new record.
    (You can always apply to Guinness to create a new record title for Transformers toy collection, but it is expensive

That would be pretty funny, well, for me anyway, if someone rocked up to Guiness with 50 sets of the 80's trading cards and said I've got nearly 10, 000 pieces of memorabilia.

That would be pretty funny, well, for me anyway, if someone rocked up to Guiness with 50 sets of the 80's trading cards and said I've got nearly 10, 000 pieces of memorabilia.
    All those DOTM Trading Cards are finally good for something! Guinness World Record here I come

Well if it includes misc memerobilia then with my trading cards, dvds, video games, board games, T-shirt’s, hoodies, underwear, coffee mugs, drink bottles, lunch boxes, stationary, colouring books, novels, comics etc etc etc then my count just went up from approximately 2500 to 4000. Guinness look out!

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    All those DOTM Trading Cards are finally good for something! Guinness World Record here I come
    Lol
    I better track down the bunch my little nephew pinched!

Now you know what an absolute can of worms finding a common agreed upon way of counting Transformers stuff is! At the end of the day there is no such thing as a definitive right or wrong way to count, but I think what's important is that, for the purposes of comparison, a common method be used.

So yeah, if Guinness has counted everything including merchandise, apparel, games, cards, books, DVDs etc. - then anyone else attempting this record should have their collection counted the same way (in which case I think that it's safe to say that griffin would still trump this clown's collection ). The method of counting doesn't matter as much as just using the same way of counting.

It's just wrong to me the concept that a card = a bot for counting. I mean I'd easily have 2000 DOTM cards. That shouldn't count.

Edit: sorry just remembered items need to be different. Still that is a few hundred cards.