Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Confused about Predaking and Volcanicus size differential (Power of the Primes)

I had the Protectobots and Stunticons when I was a kid so I always consider them to the rival teams even though fiction never backed that up.

To me it made sense that these two teams were the regular vehicles (except Drag Strip) that you'd see on the streets. While the Aerialbots and Combaticons were the military vehicles (except Silverbolt) that you'd see in war not when you popped into town.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I had the Protectobots and Stunticons when I was a kid so I always consider them to the rival teams even though fiction never backed that up.

To me it made sense that these two teams were the regular vehicles (except Drag Strip) that you'd see on the streets. While the Aerialbots and Combaticons were the military vehicles (except Silverbolt) that you'd see in war not when you popped into town.
    It is funny how we look at things as a kid. I had Superion and Menasor alwasy fighting - only two combiners I had. I always had them as rivals as the Aerialbots were the only real flying team among a bunch of cars, and the Stunticons were the only real cars among a bunch of flyers - they filled opposing roles for their teams.

The Aerialbots and Stunticons were the first two "Scramble City" combiners to be introduced in the cartoon and comic and faced off each other a few times to "advertise" the new 5-bot combiner gimmick... which is probably why some people like me think that Defensor and Bruticus were rivals, even though they were rarely on screen together (and the Protectobots were the team used the least in both the original cartoon and comic).

The whole episode of B.O.T only occurred due to the epic fight between Defensor and Bruticus *sniggers*

The match ups are also kinda supported by the commercials... if you extrapolate a little...

Aerialbots vs stunticons

Defensor vs Trypticon
    Bruticus vs Metroplex
    Abominus vs Fort Max
    Computron vs Scorponok

And to link it back to the origin of this thread....

PREDCONS VS DINOBOTS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    While the Aerialbots and Combaticons were the military vehicles (except Silverbolt) that you'd see in war not when you popped into town.
    I can’t remember the name of the ep from S2 but there was one set in the Middle East with the Combaticons vs the Aerialbots and I quite liked it for that exact reason. There was one scene where the Aerialbots are strafing and the ground vehicle Combaticons are shooting into the air. Felt like a proper ‘robots in disguise’ battle - military vehicles from either side fighting it out rather than giant robots everyone would notice.

Of course later the flying purple animal fortress with tentacle hair kinda ruined the effect

It’s why I always thought there should have been more military vehicles on either side. The ludicrousness of other modes for battle got pointed out rather well in IDWs Devestation when one of the humans pointed out ‘Is that a space shuttle fighting a police car?!’ (Prowl vs Astrotrain)

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I put it down to release dates.

Devastator and the Dinobots were released at approximately the same time so ended up as "rivals" in S1 and the Movie. Omega was around for S2 so got the job as a more logical combiner counter.

This set the tone for later with the Scramble City bots being staggered. Stunticons and Aerialbots at about the same time and explicitly thematically rivals. Bruticus was on his own in S2 but Defensor fits the rival pattern in the mind of an 8 year old when he showed up in S3. The rest writes itself.

Defensor's the combiner you send on coffee runs. I mostly remember him just standing there like a lummox and pointing.

You know the whole thing about certain characters having arch nemeses is often a marketing thing anyway. What more often happened in reality was that we just lumped whichever Goodie with whichever Baddie because it's a case of whatever toy was available to us, and often we'd go beyond the confines of pre-established canon and allow toys from different brands crossover. If we want to include a dinosaur that eats force field dogs for breakfast then that's exactly what we did.

Come on... how many of us put Decepticon Cassettes into Blaster's chest in 1985 because Autobot Cassettes didn't even exist? I know I did.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    Abominus vs Fort Max
    Fort Max doesn't stand a chance! Abominus is best there is.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Come on... how many of us put Decepticon Cassettes into Blaster's chest in 1985 because Autobot Cassettes didn't even exist? I know I did.
    Nope, never ever!

Sacrilege for even thinking it. Please give me all your cassettes as punishment to your poor guardianship.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    Nope, never ever!

Sacrilege for even thinking it. Please give me all your cassettes as punishment to your poor guardianship.
    So you never ever used Blaster's chest gimmick in 1985?
    P.S. I'll need your postal address