Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fully revealed Studio Series Devastator

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Constructicon Scrapper is now out in Singapore, and someone has posted up photos of the toy in both modes.

That just leaves Overload left to complete Devastator.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The Constructicon Scrapper is now out in Singapore, and someone has posted up photos of the toy in both modes.

That just leaves Overload left to complete Devastator.
    Mine came from SG Yesterday... pitty I'm leaving all boxed until i get the set....

A lot more photos of Overload and the rest of the Constructicons from a youtube video, including a step by step building of Devastator.

More images of the combined mode, compared to the large one released in 2009 and the Combiner Wars Devastator, to show its size... which isn't as big as I was hoping it would be, considering there are two Leader class toys and four Voyagers (the CW Devastator was essentially 6 Voyagers, and yet it is significantly bigger than the Studio Series Devastator that has six toys that are Voyagers or bigger).

I think Overload should have been grey to make most of the torso a different colour to the limbs, as there is way too much red and yellow, while the green foot just looks weird on its own.

More in-hand photos of the full set of Constructicons & Devastator, with a number of comparison photos to show its size.

I was really hoping that we'd see Overload here for the BigW sale, but I guess we will have to wait until the end of the year for it... if it shows up here at all.

Considering that there are 8 toys in Movie Devastator, and six of them are Voyager or larger, I'm really surprised that it is so much smaller than the Combiner Wars Devastator which only has 5 Voyager sized toys in it.

Downsizing could have been a factor in Studio Series Devastator being smaller, but there is also the idea that the individual Combiner Wars Constructicons weren't designed to a price point, so perhaps Hasbro/TakaraTOMY could afford to make the individual figures slightly bigger. Also, aren't the Combiner Wars Constructicons blocky and hollow in places? The Studio Series Constructicons don't seem to have so many hollow pieces, so they're more compact.

So after deciding to not open any until complete, I’ve finally opened these guys and had a look.

Some thoughts...

Big

Confusing (why is rampage so complicated to leg mode compared to long haul?)

Worth it.

And just realised as I write this, he even has an “action feature”... lightly pressing on the rear scavenger wheel raises both arms.

Long haul leg needs more green... Didn’t realise rampage was a different red to overload (remember... didn’t open them before now)

And while the Scavenger to Overload linkage is amazingly solid, it’s like they forgot about Mixmaster... he barely connects to scavenger, and on the chest sides where overload should connect, you just sit overloads feet next to mixmaster with no linking at all. And the bloody “hat” that comes with overload... you just sit it over the mixer barrel and hope it doesn’t move too much....

I too was surprised that Rampage was more orange than red like Overload and Scavenger, when I saw the most recent combined photos... it must have been the lighting or cameras in previous images that made it look like they were the same colour.
    I agree that Longhaul could have been a lighter green, but then, maybe the previous toys were not dark enough, as the one on screen appeared to be between the darkness of this one and the TF2 toys.

The issue with parts not fitting too securely is disappointing, as it seems like they put a LOT of effort into this team, and then failed a few minor bits right at the end (some extra tabs). Demonac and I played with one at the Melbourne Toyfair, and it was just really frustrating to try to fix up (it came from America without instructions, and the Hasbro people couldn't figure out how to put it together)... so at least it wasn't just us then.

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    So after deciding to not open any until complete, I’ve finally opened these guys and had a look.

Some thoughts...

Big

Confusing (why is rampage so complicated to leg mode compared to long haul?)

Worth it.

And just realised as I write this, he even has an “action feature”... lightly pressing on the rear scavenger wheel raises both arms.

Long haul leg needs more green... Didn’t realise rampage was a different red to overload (remember... didn’t open them before now)

And while the Scavenger to Overload linkage is amazingly solid, it’s like they forgot about Mixmaster... he barely connects to scavenger, and on the chest sides where overload should connect, you just sit overloads feet next to mixmaster with no linking at all. And the bloody “hat” that comes with overload... you just sit it over the mixer barrel and hope it doesn’t move too much....
    Interesting. I don't have Overload yet so was surprised to see Mixmaster just sitting on Scavenger by the two clips - it didn't feel very secure. It's interesting to see Overload basically become the chest and legs, while Scavenger becomes shoulders and back.

It looks like that hoped-for Constructicon box set may yet be a thing: https://tformers.com/38142