Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Robotech as Jetfire

Default New Robotech as Jetfire

This isn't by Hasbro or TakaraTomy, but a Hong Kong business who does licensed toys, including Robotech... and their latest batch of fully-convertible figures replicate the toy that Hasbro released as Jetfire, including one that is coloured like Jetfire (in red and white) with the proper Jetfire head.

It is a little smaller than the original, and looks a little different, but has LEDs all over it, and is limited to 1000 units (500 sold in HK and 500 sold online for the rest of the world - which sold out really fast).

The price was us$230 (about au$350), but the product page made it look like it was only us$110, as that was actually the deposit price.

JJJ is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

After it sold out yesterday, they opened it back up again for another 888 copies (no idea why they picked that number). I haven't looked since, but I imagine that those have also sold out.

I guess they could keep pumping out thousands over a period of several years... and I imagine that they didn't expect this sort of response from Transformers fans, as they were only producing toys for Robotech fans, who are a lot more niche now after all this time.

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    888 copies (no idea why they picked that number).
    8 is like lucky 7 for Cantonese Chinese people, of which many HK people are. The Cantonese word for 8 sounds very similar to the word for "fortune". So it's common for promotions in HK and other Cantonese-speaking places to use 8s.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Robotech fans, who are a lot more niche now after all this time.
    Now I feel old...

Missed out on this.

This Valkyrie model could have a button cell battery compartment that is deemed unsafe by the ACCC for sale to customers in Australia. Earlier Valkyrie models from KitzConcept Ltd have a battery compartment secured with a screw, whereas recent models apparently do not. Would direct imports by Australian residents be affected by products with a non-compliant battery compartment?

JJJ is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

No, its not like anyone is checking the things as they come into the country, and the issue is sale of non-compliant items, not possession (because otherwise you outlaw decades of existing toys). Theoretically, you can still sell the non-compliant toys here, its just that if you get caught then you're in deep doo-doo (and no retail chain is ever going to risk this, so they're the ones who open and check stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    No, its not like anyone is checking the things as they come into the country, and the issue is sale of non-compliant items, not possession.
    Cool. That sounds reasonable.

Preordered without hesitation as soon as I heard about this and I'm glad I did.
    This is the closest thing we will probably ever get to a toy-accurate G1 Jetfire update. More than happy for that statement to age poorly, though.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Now I remember why this figure rings a bell. Madman Entertainment is selling the KitzConcept Variable Fighters (Roy Fokker's VF-1S was the basis for the original G1 Jetfire toy and this God of Flame figure) for $264.99:

https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/...h-kitz-concept

https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/...h-kitz-concept