Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Retro G1 Reissues - 1986 Movie anime editions

Kickback it is then.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I'm in for a set of Insecticons.

Throw in anime Galvatron and triple changers and we're on track to making this a really good subline.

Would love a Gnaw but I don't know if we've ever got a reissue of him... so perhaps they don't have the mould?

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post

Throw in anime Galvatron and triple changers and we're on track to making this a really good subline.

Would love a Gnaw but I don't know if we've ever got a reissue of him... so perhaps they don't have the mould?
    It would be cool to get a G1-accurate Galvatron again since ebay prices for the previous G1-accurate run were insane the last time I looked.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post

There was a recent interview with two Hasbro reps (one marketing I believe, one design) where they discussed the future of the retro line. The principle reason for their character selection is a VERY LIMITED selection of moulds that have survived the 40-odd years. Moulds back then were never designed to be used after such long periods, and so they mentioned severe mold segregation, and that many molds were scrapped, stolen, etc. So for example, despite the huge sales they’d generate, we’re not seeing dinobots any time soon.

The second factor they noted was the use of die-cast parts, which are now cost prohibitive.

One of the interviewers raised the issue of creating whole entire molds, as was done for the Japanese G1 cassette tapes. They were a bit coy about that, and acknowledged it has been done in the past. They then went on to note that they would require a copy of the original toy (and this was also linked to the mention of the 3D cad designs for classic G1 characters. Then they got really, really excited about this, noting that Takara Tony has the most comprehensive and exhaustive collection and archive of *every* product the company has ever produced, including multiple copies. That they can ask them for literally anything and that they have someone in the archive who can provide them with samples.

This has me filled with some hope, but it’s tempered with what they said about die-cast parts. So Grimlock isn’t coming anytime soon. And honestly, I’d prefer a battle-weary banged up one with die cast metal chest than some cheap flimsy plastic. I think this is a strong factor why they haven’t just reconstructed a mould and cranked them out.

For the record, G1 Gnaw was reissued as part of the Chinese reissues up until 1995 I believe https://www.highendtfs.com/90sreleases, but not since (e.g. Encore). Furthermore there’s a cheap KO version as well, in original G1 packaging, so it means there are a LOT of that character floating around out there. I can’t see it being a high priority to ‘reconstruct’ the mould for - sorry.

On a more likely note, Galvatron was reissued in a purple deco, and an ehobby version in original G1 deco. I have that one, and it came with a matrix chain necklace, but the Japanese sound effects not the English version. Still pretty cool to look at though.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    On a more likely note, Galvatron was reissued in a purple deco, and an ehobby version in original G1 deco. I have that one, and it came with a matrix chain necklace, but the Japanese sound effects not the English version. Still pretty cool to look at though.
    That reissued Galvatron also came with a different battery set up too and I think a slightly remoulded, squinty face.

There was a recent interview with two Hasbro reps (one marketing I believe, one design) where they discussed the future of the retro line.
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, I've had that in my to watch list for the past week :/

The principle reason for their character selection is a VERY LIMITED selection of moulds that have survived the 40-odd years. Moulds back then were never designed to be used after such long periods, and so they mentioned severe mold segregation, and that many molds were scrapped, stolen, etc. So for example, despite the huge sales they’d generate, we’re not seeing dinobots any time soon.
    Yeah, it's kind of why I keep to moulds we know have been used and re-issued recently. Triple changers (the 'cons anyway) have come out a few times. So "anime" accurate versions, especially Astrotrain would be excellent.

It's also been long known that the Dinobots are off the table, no moulds for them. Likewise Mirage, Wheeljack and I think Sunstreaker.

One of the interviewers raised the issue of creating whole entire molds, as was done for the Japanese G1 cassette tapes. They were a bit coy about that, and acknowledged it has been done in the past. They then went on to note that they would require a copy of the original toy (and this was also linked to the mention of the 3D cad designs for classic G1 characters. Then they got really, really excited about this, noting that Takara Tony has the most comprehensive and exhaustive collection and archive of *every* product the company has ever produced, including multiple copies. That they can ask them for literally anything and that they have someone in the archive who can provide them with samples.

This has me filled with some hope, but it’s tempered with what they said about die-cast parts. So Grimlock isn’t coming anytime soon. And honestly, I’d prefer a battle-weary banged up one with die cast metal chest than some cheap flimsy plastic. I think this is a strong factor why they haven’t just reconstructed a mould and cranked them out.
    Well that does provide some hope doesn't it. There's the assumption that latest Soundwaves have been from a recreation of the mould also. So I guess where there's a demand there's a way.

For the record, G1 Gnaw was reissued as part of the Chinese reissues up until 1995 I believe https://www.highendtfs.com/90sreleases, but not since (e.g. Encore). Furthermore there’s a cheap KO version as well, in original G1 packaging, so it means there are a LOT of that character floating around out there. I can’t see it being a high priority to ‘reconstruct’ the mould for - sorry.
    I wonder if the KO's are from a stolen mould? If so then yeah, no Gnaws for us

Also, plenty have argued that the colour is off and they could do a much better "anime" match if they wanted/tried.

If we get Galvatron, no reason why we couldn't also get Rodimus?

A bit of a twist in the tale...
    Despite the packaging sample of Kickback showing up a couple weeks ago, this year's Walmart "Collector Con" exclusives are Skywarp and Shrapnel, complete with official images.
    https://news.tfw2005.com/2023/07/12/...-images-489444

Maybe Kickback is for later, or it is being released with the other two but isn't listed on the Walmart site yet.

I just remembered, Kickback is with Perceptor... Shrapnel is with Skywarp.

Some in-hand pics of Kickback, with 6 Energon cubes... which will be a lot of Energon cubes if all 3 Insecticons gete released and they all have 6 with them.
    I'm thinking that these smaller toys are being padded out a little, as their retail price in America is a little high at $30 (which is about Voyager class pricing, so if it comes here, it could well be around au$60... for a little Insecticon).
    https://news.tfw2005.com/2023/07/15/...-images-489595

I do like the cartoony yellow coloured chest... and at least these ones won't lose the silver on the wings and gun like the originals did.

That is pricy for a set of Insecticons.

How off putting is the yellow chest... I mean, they look good but wow you need to do a double take.