Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Retro G1 Reissues - 1986 Movie anime editions

It is strange that they are still cashing in on the 1986 movie (I know, the Studio Series continues to pump out 1986 movie toys), it's just that there is no anniversary for these to make sense coming out now (these two will be released in the 37th year after the movie came out).
    After all, because of the Studio Series 1986 toys being done at the moment, I feel like these are being released at a bad time, as they are sorta competing with the Studio Series re-interpretation of these exact toy characters, and most in animation decos.

The colours on Hotrod looks really nice, and the packaging on both looks nice, but Starscream is probably going to be very similar to the previously released animation deco, done by eHobby I think about 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    but Starscream is probably going to be very similar to the previously released animation deco, done by eHobby I think about 15 years ago.
    Yeah but I don’t have that one so it’s ok
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

This retro Hot Rod has really nice colours. I like the packaging too, but would have preferred at least a bit of window to show the toy inside.

It is strange that they are still cashing in on the 1986 movie (I know, the Studio Series continues to pump out 1986 movie toys), it's just that there is no anniversary for these to make sense coming out now (these two will be released in the 37th year after the movie came out).
    // rant
    It's the 35th anniversary of Headmasters.
    Hasbro gives us nothing.
    Takara: gives us 6 MP's of secondary characters from the series who aren't actually Headmasters.

After all, because of the Studio Series 1986 toys being done at the moment, I feel like these are being released at a bad time, as they are sorta competing with the Studio Series re-interpretation of these exact toy characters, and most in animation decos.
    Maybe because the movie stuff is selling well they're seeing how far they can push it? Also it might appeal the the G1 collectors who don't touch CHUG?
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Starscream may be similar to the Ehobby deco, but it appears to be an improvement on its cartoon aims so I am sure some will double dip
    And I have been hunting that Ehobby deco on eBay for the past year as a Starscream collecter who was a toddler not living in Japan when that figure came out. I think it has been long enough for a new one.

Aside from that, I suppose both the G1 reissues and Studio 86 have been selling well enough to get these. Especially considering they just put out a G1 Starscream reissue, that they have went for a character that may even still be available tells me it must be doing well

Does anyone have any idea where/if we'll be able to get these in Australia, short of ebay yet?

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    I seem to recall Hasbro stating that both OP and Soundwave have had moulds remade in the past to accomodate reissues.
    Yup, I back up the Soundwave mould being remade. Didn't hear about Prime, however that would make sense.

Makes sense to me. It's probably the most bankable media to make merch for. Thanks to the remasters and availability, a lot of people have been exposed to this movie, not to mention all the original G1 fans would have had their kids grow up on this movie.

Starscream's an easy "yes" for me... another seeker to add to the squadron.
    Feels like an eternity since i've bought a new G1 re issue... i think the last would've been that Starscream in G1 style box.

Added mirrored images to the first post.
    The release in America for these two is in January... us$34 for each.

Also a comparison image with the original Hotrod toy, posted on instagram by one of the Hasbro designers...

Also a comparison image with the original Hotrod toy, posted on instagram by one of the Hasbro designers...
    I already have multiples of the G1 Hot Rod mold, but this is so tempting since IIRC, this is the first animation colour accurate G1 Hot Rod toy, ever. Even the MP-09 and MP-28 molds never had the correct colours for Movie 86 Roddy. The lack of decals really suits this toy too. The OG stickers just make the bot mode look too 'busy'.