Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transformers and G.I. Joe comics license goes to Skybound

Default Transformers and G.I. Joe comics license goes to Skybound

I’ve held off naming the successful licensee of the Hasbro IP license in the title, in the event that someone is genuinely waiting for the formal announcement from Hasbro social media, or the press release.

And the winner is …… drumroll…..

Image Comics, under their Skybound Imprint. Makes sense with their distribution (it wasn’t going to be with a niche publisher again), but my money would have been on Marvel since Hasbro already works hand in hand with Disney for Star Wars.

https://news.tfw2005.com/2023/06/09/...evealed-486657

It was originally broken by Ain’t it Cool news, which sometimes has interesting comic industry scoops.

We’re still await the formal announcement, but the new IP’s look will be released in one of Skybound’s new titles called ‘Void Virals’ which for some strange reason, comic stores ordered over 100k copies of. Yes its Walking Dead’s Robert Kirkman, and issue one of walking dead sells for gazillions, but still it’s a huge overorder and was apparently one of the industry’s best kept secrets about the reveal in that issue.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

JJJ is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Oh good, at last some news about this. I'd become quite accustomed to their being Transformers comics again, and it felt wrong without them (I am currently re-reading MTME/RID and the rest of last decade's IDW stuff, and it feels ever wronger today ). Very happy to learn that things are moving here.

Oh wait. Oh no.

Shared universe? Nononononononononono...

That's the garbage that ruined IDW's run (Revolution and all the rubbish that trailed behind it).

Well that seriously burst my bubble

You *have* to read Void Rivals. Like now. Literally now.

I thought I recognised the wing design, but then thought “Naw, there’s a lot of ships based on a Veritech design”.
    This is a shared universe. I see now why retailers ordered 100k, and it’s not going to be nearly enough. Second printing for sure.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Oh and the new shared universe is termed the Energon Universe. It may tangentially involve Joes at some point, but it appears to be new Hasbro IP.

Transformers #1 October 2023. The artwork is quite nice. I won’t post it here, but I’m sure the fan sites will have it shortly.
    Duke #1 and Cobra Commander for December, so don’t expect a cross over quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    You *have* to read Void Rivals. Like now. Literally now.
    You convinced me. I'd seen the leaked spoiler poster before, but still this was an interesting first issue of a new series/concept with some familiar tropes. (Not sold on buying anymore of this series though but I'll try the spin-off!)

JJJ is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Read it. Not impressed, but that's hardly unusual with comics and me.

But the good thing was that the entire TF content is completely inconsequential, and can be referred to in a single throwaway sentence if the real TF series ever needs to make mention of it.

On the other hand, the "millions of years" thing is still with us (it irks me in and of itself, but it also shows Kirkman's lack of understanding of erosion). I just wish we could get writers who a) understand scale, both in terms of distance and time (4 million years of continuous warfare, or 10 million of nearly continuous for IDW's full background, is beyond absurd) and b) are willing to break away from that particular conceit.

Now a little happier than before, but I'd still very much like to know that there won't be any crossover crap.

Mixed feelings now. I've just read an interview with Kirkman that rules out the crossover rubbish, but also this: "updated retellings of your favorite episodes of Transformers". Which is not what I want, at all. That, I think, is even worse than just running with the old ideas and not trying new ones.
    Last edited by JJJ; 15th June 2023 at 04:57 PM.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    And the winner is …… drumroll…..

Image Comics, under their Skybound Imprint. Makes sense with their distribution (it wasn’t going to be with a niche publisher again), but my money would have been on Marvel since Hasbro already works hand in hand with Disney for Star Wars.
    Hate to break it to you. The winner is Skybound, who is certainly a niche publisher. They just use Image for logistics, same way Devils Due did back in the day (before they went bankrupt) when they had the Joe and Micronauts license.

I think this is a terrible outcome in every which way you could possibly look at it.

Utterly disappointed in this news. However as always I'll grab the issues and see how it shakes out.

I was at a comic shop in Brisbane today and found issue 1 of the Void Rivals (they were still sitting on about 20 copies of the first printing) and bought it.
    Unfortunately I didn't know about the 2nd and 3rd printings until tonight, which all have Jetfire on the cover... which I would have preferred as a Transformers fan. I might have to chase them up online later.
    https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Void_Rivals_issue_1

At the comic shop I saw that they had issue 2 as well, so I flicked through it to see if there was anything interesting in it, and the final page had a Skuxxoid, from the Season 3 Transformers cartoon... so they are still managing to keep it in a shared universe for now (or just throwing in easter eggs each issue to keep some of the Transformers fans buying that comic series).
    https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Skuxxoid

I can't find any hint of Skybound planning to do TPBs, so until I am sure that there will be TPBs that are easier and cheaper for me to chase up, I will buy the individual issues while they are available.

I think this might be the first time I would be buying new-release Transformers comics from a local comic shop since Generation Two in the early 90s. I remember importing Dreamwave and Devils Due comics, and most of IDW's comics I bought online as TPBs... so it has been an interesting experience buying comics in-person in a comic shop again.

That cameo is a bit of a deep cut - I couldn't name the alien and only barely recognise it.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I can't find any hint of Skybound planning to do TPBs, so until I am sure that there will be TPBs that are easier and cheaper for me to chase up, I will buy the individual issues while they are available.
    It's extremely likely there will be collections. Skybound have had a lot of success with collections of Walking Dead and Invincible and it looks like all of their current comics are being collected. It's very rare these days for any comics to be released without a collected volume coming.