Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help on buying laptop for under $1K in Melbourne

Default Need help on buying laptop for under $1K in Melbourne

I should've posted this query ages ago..
    Now I'm running out of time and can't accomodate risk from late delivery (if bought online) as I barely have a week now before I go overseas for a holiday.

I found Officeworks selling a Dell Inspiron Office Notebook
    With Microsoft Office 2007 Home And Student Edition
    2GB RAM. 250GB HDD.
    2.16GHz processor.
    Includes Microsoft Live OneCare security suite.

http://www.officeworks.com.au/owbd/b2c/init.do

I got a hardcopy of their catalogue and it shows it has Windows Vista and an Intel Core 2 Duo processor.
    This is priced for $999.

So, is this a good deal?
    If anybody knows a better retailer/computer shop, your help is much appreciated.

Cheers!
    Latest Acquisitions: Metroplex
    Incoming: ROTF Buster Optimus Prime; FP Defender, Insecticons
    Needs List: Alternity Cliffjumper; TF Prime Bulkhead, Skyquake, Vehicons; Classics Sky Shadow, Junkheap

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

If you need something right now that comes with office and don't want to hunt down something with better graphics than the included intel crud, then it's ok, especially if you need it "today". According to the OW website, it's a 2.0 GHZ processor, and the dell website doesn't even offer that 5750 cpu model anymore, but price wise, it's not bad compared to the same model (inspiron 1525) right now on the dell site.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

what an age we live in

I just today bought a Compario computer of similar stats and price. I'm no computer hardware expert though, but it's an big upgrade on my current notebook and was a good set of stats for the under $1k price range.

From my shopping around for that price the peak you'll get is 2GB RAM 250 GB Harddrive 2 GHZ+ so that deal looks fine, especially with a version of Office thrown in.

I spent $1000 at Harvey Norman (with $100 cashback) and didn't get Office.

dell sucks balls - they give you the bare minimum....

George
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"
    --------------------------------------------------------

I'm no savvy but it looks like a standard deal to me. Theres not really enough specs described to affirm my opinion.

Thanks to all have responded.
    Firstly, please pardon me I forgot to mention that the laptop is not for me but for my sister.
    She's turning 18 this December and that's what she wished for several months ago. She said she's just keen in using it for school studies (and probably a bit of facebooking).
    I'm also not an expert when it comes to computer but I'm glad I got some positive feedbacks since I know no other place that offers same or better deal.

Tomorrow's gonna be the big pinchy day.. pinchy as far as my credit card is concerned.
    Not really good in bargain asking but I'll try give it a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    If you need something right now that comes with office and don't want to hunt down something with better graphics than the included intel crud, then it's ok, especially if you need it "today". According to the OW website, it's a 2.0 GHZ processor, and the dell website doesn't even offer that 5750 cpu model anymore, but price wise, it's not bad compared to the same model (inspiron 1525) right now on the dell site.
    Oh boy... clumsy me. How could I forget to check the dell website! Good thing you reminded me!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I just today bought a Compario computer of similar stats and price. I'm no computer hardware expert though, but it's an big upgrade on my current notebook and was a good set of stats for the under $1k price range.
    I'm currently using a compaq presario which I bought a couple of years ago and I'm still very satisfied with this baby coz it havn't failed me since then.
    And it doesn't even have Intel on it but the cheaper AMD (Turion64).

Quote Originally Posted by Borgeman View Post
    dell sucks balls - they give you the bare minimum....

George
    Why do you say so?

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    I'm no savvy but it looks like a standard deal to me. Theres not really enough specs described to affirm my opinion.
    What are the other specs should I look for when buying laptops?
    I'm open for any advise since I'm thinking of upgrading my laptop next year.
    Latest Acquisitions: Metroplex
    Incoming: ROTF Buster Optimus Prime; FP Defender, Insecticons
    Needs List: Alternity Cliffjumper; TF Prime Bulkhead, Skyquake, Vehicons; Classics Sky Shadow, Junkheap

Quote Originally Posted by Wheel-J View Post
    What are the other specs should I look for when buying laptops?
    I'm open for any advise since I'm thinking of upgrading my laptop next year.
    On top of what you've spec'd I usually look at:
    -ports & connectivity (eg. USB, video I/O, bluetooth, memory card slots) how many and where they are located
    -what type of dvd RW it comes with (though this is more often than not, a cheap, loud whirring, prone to break down piece of crap)
    -warranty, though this is usually 1-2yr
    -what video cards or sound cards it comes with
    -perks (built in webcam, pretty lights, free mouse or carry bag, whether it transforms into a robot etc)
    -oh and if the user is actually gonna carry it around very often, dimensions and weight (and a carry bag).

It never hurts to read an online review or forum discussion of anything electronic you're planning to buy. You can usually learn quite a bit about what defects that model may have and whether or not others were happy with their purchase.

On the same subject of purchasing new laptops, I'm going to go hunting for one early next year and was wondering if it was going to be more feasible and more practical to buy an 'already-put-together' laptop offered by one of the companies such as Dell, Compaq, HP, ASUS, etc. or whether I could get a better deal from a computer store who have built laptops from random components tailored to suit individual customers.

I used to build computers as a hobby 4-5 years ago and I too have very little knowledge these days on what the most popular pieces of hardware people recommend you should have in your machines. It can be a confusing process, but I think I would need a set up which would have at least a capable graphics card that wasn't built onboard with the laptops motherboard.

my advice is get one with built in wifi , abg whatever frequeny every1 is using these days
    Wanted items:
    eHobby Orion Pax and Dion