Thread: 2008 Acquisitions: Your best and worst?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1 - What was the total number obtained for the year (roughly, if you don't know)?
    Somewhere between 500-700. I changed my counting method late in 2008 from one that was close to the fan-voted method, to a more "official" Hasbro-perspective method I developed (as in, what would *Hasbro* class and count as an actual TFs toy product). It meant I lost about 150 in my total count, but now means I should be able to reach the 25hundred figure in the 25th anniversary year, as I was hoping a few months ago...

2 - What was your best acquisition for the year?
    A tough one... Out of 500+ figures, I don't think there was anything that really jumped out as being the one great acquisition for the year. Kinda sad in a way. I didn't even get anything significant at BotCon either, or any 'grail' toys in 2008...
    Maybe, getting Transparent BT Mirage for about half ebay price, at BotCon (so no shipping either). I did get Time Warrior, but that's not a toy product.

3 - What was your worst, or the thing you most regretted buying?
    Probably anything oversized, overpriced and overly gimmicky. Animated Rollout Prime comes to mind as one example... Those 2 Transcanning toys were a real disappointment as wel.

4 - Most difficult item to find?
    The Risk boardgame. Finally found it on christmas eve at about a third the original price. Didn't actually have a problem with any 2008 toys though, as I imported about 85% of the toys released last year, due to it being cheaper than buying retail domestically. As such, I didn't have to hunt locally for many toys at all. Just remembered - Universe Ironhide. Not really difficult to find, but took me about 3 or 4 weeks after people were sighting it for me to find one. I was just impatient...

5 - Item you never found, but still want?
    Of the 2008 toys, probably Henkei Wildrider. Everything else was found, or hasn't been out long enough to panic about.

6 - Were the Animated toys in general good or bad?
    Good for the new asthetic/design perspective, to give the brand more diversity. Bad *if* it were the only TFs toyline at the moment, especially to this Geewunner...

7 - Were the Classics 2.0/Universe 2.0 toys in general good or bad?
    Good.

8 - Were the rest of the Movie toys in general good or bad?
    New moulds good, senseless recolours bad.

9 - Did you think the Encores this year were good or bad?
    Good for the ones I wanted.

10 - Did you think the Henkei was good or bad?
    Started out good, but it's forcing me to buy two of each character...

11 - Did you buy any non-transforming toys?
    Yes. Robot Heroes mostly.

12 - Did you buy any officially licensed (non-toy) merchandise?
    That metallic Allspark cube, and TFs underwear...

13 - Did you buy the Animated DVDs?
    The first one released here, but will get the 2 seasons imported.

14 - Did you buy any of the Madman DVDs?
    Nope, already had the cheaper US or UK versions.

15 - Did you import the Cybertron boxset?
    Not yet, but will. Or get it while at BotCon.

14 - Are there any trends in your buying that you noticed?
    It's getting too expensive.

15 - Are there any changes to your buying habits that you're hoping to make?
    Cutting back on the JP stuff that is just recolours of Hasbro stuff.

16 - What are you looking forward to most in 2009?
    Rest of the 25th Anniversary toys, and the movie. And maybe Animated if they do a good Arcee toy.
    Last edited by griffin; 4th January 2009 at 03:34 AM.