View Poll Results: How do rate what the Official Transformers Club offers to us foreign fans?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a member and think it is worth being a member.

1 2.27%
  • I'm NOT a member, but think it would be worth being a member.

1 2.27%
  • I'm a member and I don't care either way.

0 0%
  • I'm NOT a member, and don't care.

3 6.82%
  • I'm a member and don't think it is currently worth being a member.

8 18.18%
  • I'm NOT a member, and don't think it is worth joining.

31 70.45%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Official Club.

Default Thoughts on the Official Club.

Since there has been a lot of criticism lately towards the Official Transformers Club not offering enough of an incentive for foreigners to join or remain as members, this is a poll and request for comments and suggestions by fans in our part of the world, on the Official Club. I want to see for sure if it is a general discontent, or just a vocal minority.
    If it is general discontent, maybe our suggestions can be sent to the Club to help improve it. And if it is just a vocal minority, then I at least need to know, to make sure I don't make Ozformers Community policy to reflect what the minority wants.

I've been trying hard to convince people over the years to join the Official Club, because I have always believed it is a worthy concept for the fandom. After all, I started the Australian Transformers Club waaay back in 1996, because I share that passion of most fans, to feel like we belong to something within our hobby. Our local club was not official (it was authorised and endorsed by Hasbro), and it's name changed from 'Club' to 'Collectors' for a period of time, but for twelve and a half years, I have always tried to put the interest of the fans first. My commitment to a 'club concept' has had me promoting the Official Club ever since it started, and I managed to convince a fair few of the past and present members to join, based on that shared ideology. But now I risk my own membership to the Official Club and BotCon, by once again putting the (local) fans first. As much as I want to remain a member of the Club because I'm one of the few in this country that can make full use of its features, I don't think it is fair for me to be drumming up their business, and then having to try to defend them when things like the recent postage profiteering occured. The situation is getting to the point where several questions and complaints have been submitted to Hasbro AUS in the monthly Q&A program, about the treatment of long-distant foreign members. When fans are that upset over something to want to complain to Hasbro about it, it must be investigated, or resolved in some way.

Now, we do need to keep in perspective, that when the Convention and Official Club were run by FANS, it failed to be profitable enough to survive. Now that an American business (called Fun Publications) are running the Club and Convention, there is a long-term viability to both. Credit where credit due. But is that viability coming from prioritising the majority of its Nth American members at the expense of its long distance foreign members?
    Officially, from the head of the Fun-Pub company, is that foreign membership is as cheap as they can make it. But does that membership include things that long distance foreigners do not want or have access to?

These is the membership package for registering to the Official Club:
    - Transformers Magazine every 2 months.
    - Classifieds publication every month.
    - Limited edition Transformers toy.
    - Botcon discounts for attendees and non-attendees (for the toys).
    - Access to an exclusive website and forum.
    - Discounted prices on Club Store items, including exclusive items.

The business called Fun Publications acquired an international license to run the Official Transformers Club, preventing anyone else from being able to set up an Official Club outside of America. As such, the majority of members are American, and as with any business, they must cater for the majority of their customers.

But should the Fun-Pub company have a responsibility as an International license holder to have a fairer membership package to foreign fans, or maybe a fairer price? If they can only offer the one membership package, shouldn't the price be the same for every member within their jurisdiction? Why not charge everyone US$50? It's only $10 extra for the majority of their members, and if we can tolerate US$89 for that package, why can't the Americans tolerate US$50? If the American members say that it isn't fair to be paying the same as us, then they need to be reminded that they get their stuff 3 weeks before us, they pay about a third in shipping when buying from the Club Store, they are 10 times more likely to go to BotCon and benefit from that huge discount, and that Fun Pub's license extends to every country, not just America.
    Alternatively, if we are required to pay more because we aren't 'lucky enough' to be an American resident, then maybe offset that expense with an alternative membership package, to convince us to pay twice as much as Americans.
    But as of May 2006 when I enquired, the Club only has the intention of having one Membership Package (listed above), so at this time, the only *fair* alternative would be a 'worldwide' membership fee, with the Americans subsidising us foreigners who pay more in shipping fees and miss out on being able to share in the excitement of getting the Magazines and toys at the same time as the majority of the members. The American fans just don't seem to realise that when we get the 'new' Magazine or the 'new' membership & Club store toys, it's already 3 weeks old to them, and we miss out on joining in on the fun of discussing the 'new' stuff with them. It just encourages the foreign members to keep to themselves even more, because interacting with the bulk of (American) Club members who are 3 weeks ahead of us is either a tease, or spoils the Magazine when we get it.

The Issues that have been raised (please add any that I've missed) :
    - A double penalty to foreign fans who have to pay more than twice Americans do (US$89 verses US$40) and have to wait 3-4 weeks on the Magazine, toys etc, compared to under a week for Americans. The Club doesn't want to create more than one membership package, so should it have one (international) membership fee for that one (international) package?
    - Convention discount is the largest cost-saving incentive of membership, but almost no one from this part of the world will ever go, and most of the current Club members from here joined up just for the non-attendee pack. What incentive is there to get the majority of long distant foreign fans who aren't interested in the Convention toys, to join, if it looks like they are just subsidising the (mostly) Americans who do utilise the discount?
    - Most Australasian fans joined up to *local* fan forums because they either prefer interaction with other locals or got lost amongst all the Nth-Americans on the global/American fansites who talk about stuff that isn't relavant here. This means that the other major incintive to be an Official Club Member (access to the Club exclusive website and forum), doesn't interest most fans from this part of the world, especially since a lot of the Club-related discussion (the main reason to interact there) relates to the Club Magazine, toys and BotCon. As mentioned above, long distant foreign members have a 3 week delay before we can discuss the Club exclusive stuff. So either we miss out on interacting on the Club Forum when the stuff is received by the bulk of the (American) members, or the bulk of the (American) members are no longer interested when we want to talk about the stuff when we get it 3 weeks later. So where's the incentive to interact on the exlcusive (American) forum?
    What I think the Official Club needs to do, is host online a lot more exclusive material, or even temporarily, scans of the current issue, so that the foreign members can actually get involved in the discussions, and still get their physical copy in the mail 3 weeks later.
    - The monthly printed classifieds have no relevent content for members outside of America, that can't be accessed online, so why not cut out from the foreign membership, the six annual issues that don't have the Transformers magazine, to offset the proposed single 'international' membership fee.
    - Access to the Club Store's discount prices only requires one member from here to do a bulk order, so no need to join if you just want the exclusive toys and merchandise. That goes for the free membership toy as well. If you are just a toy fan, and there is no interest in the other elements of the Package, why join an expensive club if you can get the member-rate toys from another member? If the membership price was the same as every other member in the *international jurisdiction* of Fun-Pub's Club License, it might be more appealing to join up just for the sake of being a member of 'the club'.
    - Items are usually shipped out to foreigners last (as revealed in one of their shipping update emails), instead of sent first to at least slightly offset the 3 week wait we get over the Americans who pay less.
    - Expensive shipping. This isn't Fun-Pub's fault, but they don't factor in the added long-term expense of being a foreign member when slugging us with a membership fee that is twice what Americans pay. If we paid the same as the Americans for the same Membership Package, the added shipping expense on anything we order from the Club Store would be shrugged off as just the usual expense most collectors here have to factor in with any importing of toys.
    - Postage profiteering. This turned quite a few against the Official Club. The Seacon & Nightbeat bulk orders were done for Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne. Sydney and Brisbane were overcharged postage by about US$20 and US$30 respectively, while the Melbourne order was undercharged by about US$20. A fair system would have all adjusted or non adjusted (credit to overcharged orders and re-charging of undercharged orders). But the Melbourne order was re-charged the difference, while the other two orders were not given any credit or refund.

So the Poll is simple. How do rate what the Official Transformers Club offers to us foreign fans?
    - I'm a member and think it is worth being a member.
    - I'm NOT a member, but think it would be worth being a member.
    - I'm a member and I don't care either way.
    - I'm NOT a member, and don't care.
    - I'm a member and don't think it is currently worth being a member.
    - I'm NOT a member, and don't think it is worth joining.

For those who think it isn't worth being a member, what would you do to make it fairer, or be worth joining as a long-distant member?
    And those who are members - why are you a member? What did you join for, and what of the membership package do you utilise?

I can see you've thought about the issue a lot.

I should have voted for "I'm NOT a member, and don't think it is worth joining." but think I clicked the wrong button.

I did seriously consider becoming a member just to get the 'Games of Deception' set in 2007. I considered the following prohibitive:

- the length of the form I had to fill in and also the fact that there was no electronic version and I had to mail it in;
    - the method of payment (ie Money orders);
    - the price that we're being charged.

If I were to be a member, the only benefit I think I would be interested in are the exclusive BotCon sets, and these only happen once a year. All the other 'benefits' are illusory because one way or another information that is contained in either the magazine or only on the exlusive site would be 'leaked' and thus available on the various news sections of TF sites.

Also, since they have very direct and official ties with Hasbro, unlike the time when 3H was running the show, I would really expect more effort re the exclusives. Mere repaints of existing molds without at least some degree of retooling/resculpting is quite lazy and not acceptable, for the prices that they're asking (and the length of time we would have to wait to receive the stuff).

+1 on what HD said. Why is it that we get to be shafted on the joining fee? If that isn't indicator enough of what's (bad things) to come when/if you join I don't know what is. Sure they (at times) produce nice toys that otherwise couldn't/ wouldn't be mass produced by Hasbro officially, so its another avenue to get some - Vector sigma (I tell myself it's just a ball but i couldnt resist ) and VS key, Alpha Trion etc, but with all the benefits you've listed Griffin, it doesn't really concern non US fans much (as you've stated as well) and I would really feel gipped paying that amount yearly for expensive repaints (which I might inconsistently be after for) and nothing else. As youve said as well there is that avenue of haing only one member registered and order all the toys thru him/her so its not much of a problem. As for Botcon, well that's not gonna happen for anytime within ten years, and that's a fact. It's fairly obvious that they cater only to US fans, having international members is treated more of a coincidence and a source of funds for em, otherwise they would have like special rates/other benefits seeing as overseas members are less likely to enjoy their offered "benefits" and they wouldn't allow an international licensing to cater to the differences/culture each individual overseas TF community has.
    So I voted for not a member, not interested in joining.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

There is no point in joining unless you're going to Botcon or living in the USA.

Suggestions for improvements:

*Make the content digital for international fans. Create a DRM / locked pdf file of the magazine and just email it out. This (a) saves on paper, (b) ensures everyone gets their copy at the same time and (c) means there is no reason to have a high cost for international members as there is no postage involved.

*Consider have different membership schemes. I.E. a cheaper option for people that aren't going to attend Botcon and don't want the pointless "Master Collector" magazine that is sent on the "off" months.

*Quicker announcement of dates / locations for Botcon. This isn't too much of an issue for USA fans but for international people it is a deal breaker. The lack of warning this year has already forced several fans to abandon their plans or go elsewhere (Comic-Con). Compounding this problem was the decision to not release the hotel discount code at the same time as the announcement meaning that all the USA fans could simply ring up the hotel and book their room at the cheaper rate while the international fans (who generally have to rely on doing things online) were left with no option.

*As mentioned above, cut out the shady postage profiteering and also post out international orders first to try and offset the difference in delivery times.

I'm not a member and based on what I have heard I wouldn't want to join.
    If they are going to make you wait, not be able to use it all, and ask for more $$$, I'd tell them to get nicked because it is just plain profiteering.

I hope we get our own one going. It would be nice to have something like what they have, only without the high prices and profiteering

In the words of Bender:
    We should go make our own Club, with blackjack and hookers!
    Last edited by Golden Phoenix; 16th January 2009 at 11:39 AM.
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Not a member, and not interested in joining, if I want any figures I'll just suck up to Griffin or somebody else who is a member!

The lack of online registrations is abhorrent in this day and age, and reeks of an unprofessional attitude, especially to the international community.

You really do not get bang for your buck by joining.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Forgot to mention the free monthly listing in their printed classifieds, but as with the classifieds themselves, the content and potential audience do not effectively cater for people this far away from Nth America.

Okay, so there are currently 16 people who don't think it is worth it, but I don't see 16 people posting why, or how they would make it worth joining. Come on people, don't be like a 'rent-a-crowd' with no real reason other than everyone else is doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Okay, so there are currently 16 people who don't think it is worth it, but I don't see 16 people posting why, or how they would make it worth joining. Come on people, don't be like a 'rent-a-crowd' with no real reason other than everyone else is doing it.
    Everyone seems to have good reasons for not wanting to join. I considered it the last couple of times that the botcon toys were announced, it just seems like an expensive path to follow. But really I prefer to do my own repaints if I can... It took me ages to actually buy acid storm because it was a repaint of a toy that I owned 3 times already.

I guess it's kind of feels to me like the Wheeljackslab topic in another forum... Why would you want to be a part of something that doesn't value your (non-american) participation?

I guess having a local 'chapter' would help bring down prices... but you have to consider with all the great forums and different exclusive toys I am generally sceptical about 'pay to play' clubs of this type.
    Last edited by d*r*j*; 16th January 2009 at 05:13 PM.

I was a member, but I'm not anymore because I don't think the extortionate prices are worth the one toy and six magazines it used to get me. The only thing I regret no longer getting are the comic pages and text stories.