Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very 1st custom ever

Mr_K is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default Very 1st custom ever

Hi all,

well i have just finished my VERY FIRST custom ever and I wanted to share it with you!

Firsty, before I started my custom I was unware that anyone else had done what I've done but since looking through this thread I notice that someone has done a similar (probably better :P) job than me.

Secondly, there will be a few of you who won't like the custom I've created because it is a Nemesis Prime. The reasoning I chose to do a Nemesis Prime repaint though was because he doesn't involve any hard painting and since he is mostly dark colours I felt it gave me some room to move in terms of accurancy in being my first custom.

I'm not a great painter, in fact I haven't painted anything since I was about 14 and it was bad; I didn't even pass year 2 painting lol.

However I would like to hear all your comments, especially constructive criticisms of how I can improve for next time because I have another I am going to be starting before the end of the week.

So now, here are the pics:

It is a bit hard to see from these photos because of my flash, but all the grey parts I have re-painted and then brushed over them with a metalic silver to make the metal look warn. If anyone is interested in seeing this better I will take some more photos tomorrow in the daylight so I don't need the flash.

Looks really good man, there's a couple of bits where you can see a bit of red through the black, but overall, for your first time, it's really well done, good work

North Melbourne-bot...?

hey thats pretty neat. I like it!

hasbro love nemesis repaints, expect a knock on your door very soon.... :P

looks great tho. makes me like animated just that little bit more

Looking awesome, man! Esp. for a first timer. The first time I tried, it was an utter mess. Just ask lcz128. I think he spent more than enough hours trying to fix up all my screw ups.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Good effort.

Some tips:
    + Wash the parts before you paint them.
    + Consider applying a white undercoat. I never do that, but I know others who do.
    + After painting, allow the paint to dry before applying another coat. The more coats the merrier, especially if you haven't applied an undercoat.
    + Consider applying a spray-on purity seal to protect the paint from abrasions etc.; we did this with the Sabretron 2004 exclusive toys.

My first custom was a repaint of Transmetal Tarantulas as "Vok Hunter Tarantulas." It turned out that Fox Kids TM Tarantulas would become the real "Vok Hunter Tarantulas" (although neither the toy nor character was ever given that title) afterwards. Later I made an "Animé Optimus Prime - a G1 Prime with blue eyes. A year later Takara reissued New Year Special Convoy, a reissue of Goodbye Convoy with... yep... blue eyes.

So here's hoping HasTak will never make an official Animated Nemesis Prime so that your custom remains nice and unique.

That turned out rather well. It really makes that 'heroic' mould look quite evil. Probably because the front windows have an angry-eyes look to them (to me at least), so better suits an evil character and colour scheme.

First off nice work, especially for a first attempt. I have only starting doing customs recently myself, on my 1st figure I had the same trouble as you did with the original colour showing through, my solution to this was to just simply add coats until I could no longer see any of the orig colour scheme. As Goktimus mentioned above get a spray on purity seal, so as to protect all your hours of effort Goodluck with future projects & look forward to seeing more of your work.

Thanks for all the responses, encouragement and great tips! Yeah, I think in the end I got a little too excited that I was going to finish him soon so I only did really one coat of paint and I have been having trouble keeping the paint on when there are hindges involved.

I have placed a gloss overcoat on it to protect the paint so hopefully it will last a while

Hopefully with all the hints from you guys my next custom will be even better