Page 894 of 1041 FirstFirst ... 874884889890891892893894895896897898899904914 ... LastLast
Results 8,931 to 8,940 of 10408

Thread: Transformers questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

Anyone else still get lectured by their parents or other elders about how "your an adult you shouldn't be buying toys and playing video games"?
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

I think the key is to demonstrate that your lifestyle choice isn't adversely affecting any other part of your life.

The first is financial responsibility. TF collecting isn't cheap, but I'm able to pay the bills, food, housing, maintenance of vehicles, schooling etc. Our family's quality of life isn't affected by my collecting. I always make sure that we have enough money to pay for all the other stuff in life, and what I have left over is mine to spend.

The second is social obligation. Transformers collecting and playing can be time consuming, but I ensure that I have time for my family, which includes taking the kid to and from school and extra-curricular activities, dad's taxi etc. I do what needs to be done and what spare time I have is for me. Although as life gets busier I often incorporate Transformers into social activities, such as going out. That's why many of my TF photos are in locations like restaurants, picnics etc. Some of my friends have commented that most people just post images of their meals -- I post images of my meals with Transformers standing next to them!

IMO actions speak louder than words. If you can demonstrate to people that your lifestyle choice isn't affecting you or anyone else in an adverse way, then that alone will silence your critics. One of my colleagues and I have a playful jab at each other's passions - she says that my Transformers passion is stupid, and I say the same thing about her passion for the Cronulla Sharks. So when she comes in on Monday and says, "Did you see the Sharks game on the weekend?" I'll say, "No, but I'll smile and pretend that I'm interested," and she says the same if I mention something about Transformers.

Sometimes I can use other people's aversion towards Transformers to my advantage. e.g. my class toilet pass is a junker Cybertron Sky Shadow (with a string attached so that kids can hook it onto a toilet door handle when they're heeding the call of nature). So whenever a student has to go to the toilet, they have to carry a busted Voyager Class Transformer toy around the school. And other kids see them. And comment. So now I have far fewer students asking to go to the toilet! (and thus far fewer interruptions to my lessons ) - now before they ask they stop and think, "Do I really need to go to the toilet?" ... also interesting to see the various "modes" that Sky Shadow comes back in. My Year 12s came up with the "doge" mode. Such toilet. Much pass. Woof.

Oh don't worry Gok, all that stuff comes first. My family just see it as childish. I don't think they get that toys and video games can be made for anyone that's not under 12.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Oh don't worry Gok, all that stuff comes first. My family just see it as childish. I don't think they get that toys and video games can be made for anyone that's not under 12.
    I have found examples like a model car collection or a trophy case are good examples to explain the motivation to collect. The sorts of things that they might have collected. But keep it mainstream and not one associated with weirdness.

I see people have similar reactions to animated tv and film. just because it's animated doesn't mean it's for 5 year olds exclusively. Look at all the Pixar films for example.

not to mention that most blockbuster films these days are hugely animated they're just animated to look realistic...
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Anyone else still get lectured by their parents or other elders about how "your an adult you shouldn't be buying toys and playing video games"?
    Yes. ESPECIALLY because I am female.
    My parents think it is totally and utterly ridiculous that I have toy trucks and robots on display in my home (and that I let my kids also have them). But then, they wouldn't even let me have Optimus when I was a kid... sooo....

When people ask I say they make me happy. They're a hobby - just like playing a sport, participating in a club or collecting stamps. People don't seem to bat an eyelid if you collect stamps but can't see that the same satisfaction can be gained from toys too. My kids are cool with it, my husband is cool with it so at the end of the day what anyone else thinks doesn't really matter.
    However it does still sting a little when people don't want to understand it.

Megatran Guest

"I'm an adult. I like playing with adult toys. Is there a problem with that?"

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Hell No!
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Is this the right thread?

3rd party toys are considered for adults right?
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot