Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Actual D********r combiner?

Most awaited figures for the RotF for me now. Still hard to believe they can engineer a combining set with each having individual alt and bot modes, while the deluxes can't. Sure it's got to do with compromises, market and manufacturing logistics but it feels as if it's a token gesture for the separate Dev combiner and individual figures. Can't wait.

Mr_K is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    um.... have you been hiding under a rock???

There is a big combiner set with only vehicle and combined mode, and individual figures which are only vehicle, robot and attack mode....

these are the only that do vehicle, robot and combine...
    No I haven't been living under a rock, but thanks for asking. What you've told me is what I already new. If you read my post correctly you would have seen that I was saying that I would have rather not had deluxes that had a "third mode" or "attack mode" as you say and have a sacrificed bot mode in order to have them combine.

This is great news. I just noticed that the bot modes have been mixed up between rampage and scrapper.You will notice this cause one has wheels and the other tracks. Also after reading the info at the link, it seems that a full carton will have 24 pcs, having 3 full sets and 3 spares. These guys must all be packaged individually. It is highly likely we will see these guys here eventually.

So far my favourite 2 constructicons will be Long Haul and Scrapper, mostly because the bot modes are humanoid. I can appeciate the others over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stompy
    Still hard to believe they can engineer a combining set with each having individual alt and bot modes, while the deluxes can't. Sure it's got to do with compromises, market and manufacturing logistics but it feels as if it's a token gesture for the separate Dev combiner and individual figures.
    An excellent point. To me it tells me that the separate Constructicons/Devastator thing is basically just a shameless money-milking gimmick. Everyone look out your window and you'll the "it can't be done at a Deluxe/Voyager scale" argument flying out.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    To me it tells me that the separate Constructicons/Devastator thing is basically just a shameless money-milking gimmick. Everyone look out your window and you'll the "it can't be done at a Deluxe/Voyager scale" argument flying out.
    I disagree completely. Hasbro's excuse was something to the effect that they were unable to have the full size Devastator components individually transform and still match the size and presence of the combined figure in the movie.

Putting forth the argument that since they have accomplished it with Legends class figures, it therefore negates their reasoning, is simply not listening to the reasoning.

Take any deluxe class, movie style figure. Now stack at least 2 more deluxes and 2 voyagers on top of that, and tell me what kind of stability you think you could achieve. Hasbro might have a chance if the combined figure was straight, upright, and a looked like it had a 10-foot-pole up its you-know-what to properly displace that weight. However, as evident in the trailers, concept art, and photos of the toy-to-date, that is the antithesis of the design of Devastator.

Sticking 7 Legends together is a CONSIDERABLY non-comparable effort, because:

1. Weight. Duh.
    2. Lack of movie accuracy (another standard fan complaining point) is considerably more acceptable at that scale.

Stability of a larger scale devastator might be achieved with including 2 large clear colored plastic bases to be used as feet. But the way he is proportioned he is top heavy with alot of weight up top with demolishor and mixmaster on top.. He is proportioned more like a gorilla, it could be possible to make him stand by using the two arms as extra feet

agree with jay

defcon, we can always buy the large non-transforming one...

As I've said before, I would rather sacrifice movie accuracy for better toys. Just my opinion.

Also keep in mind that if the boxed set Devastator could have each of the vehicles transform to their robot modes, there would be a lot more parts, more R&D, making it a lot more expensive in the stores.
    The Hasbro execs probably told the design team to keep the figure below US$100 retail, which probably meant sacrificing a third mode for each of the 7 toys. If they thought it could sell for say US$150 retail, they probably would have given them free reign to make it a fully functioning set. Those who are wanting a fully convertable set would have to be willing to pay out a lot more to get the extra features, and make sure everyone else is prepared to pay extra as well to warrant the gamble by Hasbro.

As for the individually released figures, I agree with Jay that a combined form would just be too clumsy and unstable.

So the boxed set is a cost issue, the individual set is a structural issue, making a Legends sized set as the only way a Movie Devastator could work and be playable enough to want to get it.

That legends mini-dev triple changer looks pretty nifty!!!

ok guys, i have been sort of living under a rock when it comes to all this devastator combiner/triple changer ordeal...
    and with all rumours been thrown around on the net, i just stopped paying attention a while back...

Can you guys confirm for me if hasbro will definitely be releasing individual deluxe/voyager/leader class versions for all of the 7 constructicons which can change at the very least into their robot and alternate modes????