Page 417 of 481 FirstFirst ... 397407412413414415416417418419420421422427437 ... LastLast
Results 4,161 to 4,170 of 4804

Thread: I need to vent!

Quote Originally Posted by Ploughmans Lunch View Post
    the nearest polling booth does not have a cake stall but the one a few km away does. woe is me.
    I feel your pain.

Every local/state/federal election we vote at the scout hall 200m from our house. Walked down there to find it all shut up. So we had to vote at the local school which had a line a mile long and took ages.

Stupid democracy.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

That's probably one of the reasons why a record quarter of registered voters have already voted before today... which will start to changes the whole campaign process to woo people from the start, as polls have shown that the election result would be different to today if it was held on any previous weekend.
    I always thought that you could only pre-poll vote if you had a valid (proven) reason for not being able to vote on the day, as there is a reason for having as many people as possible to vote at the same time, as people voting later may change their mind knowing what others have already voted (a bit like the presidential elections in America that have results from the east coast announced before the west coast have finished voting... which they shouldn't be announcing until after polls close in all states - and here, but we don't have enough seats in WA to alter the outcome from early results that only come in if it is a landslide).

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I always thought that you could only pre-poll vote if you had a valid (proven) reason for not being able to vote on the day, as there is a reason for having as many people as possible to vote at the same time, as people voting later may change their mind knowing what others have already voted.
    You don't have to provide proof, and in some cases they don't even ask you what the reason is. Also, less party volunteers to harass you as you go in to vote.
    "The Decepticons keep bad company - each other!" - Jazz, G2

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I use both android and iPhone, as much as I do like iPhone, I think the way is using my data is more than an android does.

Nokia used to be the best phones around but they couldn't catch up with the times. Is pretty sad and windows phone isn't cool enough

I always pre-vote because its just so much easier, and I can do it on the way home from work. In all the yeas I've been doing it, I've only ever been asked once what my reason was (which was this time.) I just told them I might have to work. No proof required, and nothing else said about it. I was in and out in 5 minutes - after wresting with the big white ballot sheet in the small cubicle

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I always thought that you could only pre-poll vote if you had a valid (proven) reason for not being able to vote on the day, as there is a reason for having as many people as possible to
    I started prevoting as well. Lining up in the heat, and often I'd be at work on saturday, unable to leave until after the polls closed.

Although I did like the atmosphere at my local polling place ( a local school) where I'd tell all the volunteers that "I already know how to vote thanks", and then get chatting with the people in the line as we complained about standing in the sun for so long.

Because of work I just used to organise postal voting. Because I'd do it at home, I'd research the parties, candidates and policies a bit more thoroughly.

TheScreamMan and I went and voted at about 09:30. There were bugger all people at that time - we just waltzed in, voted, then waltzed out. Then stood around and talked around Transformers (spent more time doing this than actually voting ). So yeah, voting early works well.

Made my first ever steam purchases the other day
    Most of which were games to play online with my friends who have moved overseas
    Spent almost $50
    Tried running the games today.
    Out of the 5 games I bought 3 immediately crash or don't start
    $50 well spent
    Knew I shouldn't have bothered with steam

Some games can be a bit hit or miss on steam these days. Best bet is to hit up the Steam forums. If you're having issues then its likely someone else has had the same issue. And a lot of the time, there are fixes that other users have found.

Another thing I've personally had a problem with, is sometimes if you have multiple hard drives, the game installs on a different drive for some reason which can cause issues.

Nearly got duped by a phone scam.

I just had some fake Telstra technicians call up. It seemed so fishy and when I asked the technician for some details, he got stroppy and passed me onto another 'technician' who refused to supply her full name. They told me to follow instructions to "fix up" a problem with my computer to prevent it from being disconnected from the internet. I even told them that I'm not a Telstra customer and they said that this is irrelevant.

I've told them to call me back in 10 minutes, during which time I did a Google search and yeah... total scam. > I kinda want them to call me back so that I can counter-prank them, but I don't think they will (I may have scared them off). But yeah, if you ever get a call out of the blue from people claiming to be Telstra technicians saying that there's a problem with your internet, then be wary.

They were really pushy in a polite sounding way. They make you feel scared that you're going to lose internet connection and then offer to help you, so you initially feel like you want to follow all of their instructions because they come across as "Good Samaritans." But cracks started showing when I started asking them questions about themselves. Name, contact number (they gave me the generic BigPond tech support number) etc. The first techie even spat out a North Sydney address at me, but according to Google Telstra's Head Office is in Paddington. There's a Telstra _shop_ located in North Sydney, so I guess I could go there to buy a phone or something... I don't think that I'd get tech support for my internet connection though. Especially considering that Telstra/BigPond's not even my ISP. (-_-) Still, I can see how easy it would be for people to believe them because they work so well in psychologically disarming you. I even had my DOS window open and was ready to enter a command that the techie was telling me, but then I paused and thought, "Waaaaait a second..."

https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/news/sc...ng-australians
    http://exchange.telstra.com.au/2014/...lstra-calling/