Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: *SPOILERS* Freedom is the right of all sentient beings...

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    Poor Demolishor and Sideways, (My fav 'cons in ROTF) brutally murdered by the corrupt Autobot regime!

They were just hiding peacefully (probably plotting to hug lots of puppies!) until the Autobots rocked up to murder them, and even when the attack started they just tried to flee for their lives! Autobots are cold hearted bastards!
    The prequel comic (Alliance) show most of the Decepticons who came to Earth after the first movie, were killing a lot of people and causing a lot of destruction. It's only natural that those offenders needed to be neutralised, and strategically it is better to do it while they are inactive, by way of a surprise attack.

But I think it would have been better if the script had even mentioned that these Decepticons had been recently responsible for deaths and destruction, and they were moving in to neutralise the threat. But no... Bay just wants all characters to go in with all guns blazing, with no concern about character consistency...

This is what new fans are being taught about these iconic characters.... shame.
    MP-05 legal acquisition process:

www.megatron.net.au

My collection and stuff for sale:

www.csapo.com.au/ttf/tiby'stransformers.htm

Yeah Schwarzenegger Prime = serious 0____0 moment for me.

I guess my shock stemmed from the fact that I had read both the comic and the novel before I saw the movie. Both adaptations depicted Prime in his typical violence shunning/reflecting on the pointlessness of war way. So when Prime dropped a Arnie/Stallone one liner and then blew Demolisher away I was a tad taken back... and not in a good way.

Guess Bay still hasn't figured out that its pretty pointless to fight for freedom, justice and all that is good, if you can't uphold -or loose sight of- the very values you supposedly stand for.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The prequel comic (Alliance) show most of the Decepticons who came to Earth after the first movie, were killing a lot of people and causing a lot of destruction. It's only natural that those offenders needed to be neutralised, and strategically it is better to do it while they are inactive, by way of a surprise attack.

But I think it would have been better if the script had even mentioned that these Decepticons had been recently responsible for deaths and destruction, and they were moving in to neutralise the threat. But no... Bay just wants all characters to go in with all guns blazing, with no concern about character consistency...
    that makes sense, the movie really should have stated that!

Raksha'd! JKZ

I agree with what Ben Yee said in his review that movie Prime is different from Prime typically seen in G1 and is more similar to Optimus Prime from Transformers The Movie, where he single-handedly mowed down the Decepticons who were invading Autobot City. I suppose the difference is that in TFTM, the Decepticons were already attacking Autobot City and had killed numerous Autobots - Optimus Prime had come to liberate Autobot City and thus offing all those Decepticons was a means to that end.

But then... I suppose that if any Decepticons were coming to Earth as refugees or not wanting to partake in the war any further, then they could either defect to the Autobots (as Jetfire and Wheelie did) or declare neutrality. The fact that they're still allying themselves as Decepticons naturally makes them targets to the Autobot-human Alliance who are hunting them down. Don't want to be hunted? Quit being a Decepticon.

Jetfire and Wheelie's defection illustrates that it's not a 'racial' thing but, as Jetfire put it, a conscious choice to be Autobot or Decepticon. Though the eye-colour thing seems to contradict that (although Frenzy did have blue eyes in TF1 - and Ironhide's an ex-Decepticon of sorts).

I personally see movie Prime as being a lot like Dai Atlas from G1. He realises that in order to end the war quickly and decisively, he cannot afford to show compassion to the enemy. Though overriding compassion was a defining trait of G1 Optimus Prime, so I can see how people would feel that he's not "my Optimus Prime."

At the end of the day, it's a different continuity and different character from G1 anyway. And Optimus Prime isn't the only character in the movie universe whose persona differs from his original. Since when was Jolt an Autobot?!? (o_O)

It's not so much that he is a different character in a different universe, but that he is not consistent with things in the movie universe, like his motto, comments about humans, Megatron's slaughter on Cybertron etc.
    MP-05 legal acquisition process:

www.megatron.net.au

My collection and stuff for sale:

www.csapo.com.au/ttf/tiby'stransformers.htm

Not to mention that it contradicts Optimus' behaviour from the first movie, which had the same script writers and director, so there's no excuse.

I had a similar issue with this scene as Tiby and mentioned it in my review - It's pretty much due to Bay not understanding what he is doing and wanting the movie to be artificially more 'hardcore' and blatantly contradicts the character we saw in the first movie which as I understand it, its within the same continuity as this one.

The way Optimus Prime dispensed of Bonecrusher in the first movie was pretty brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin
    I assumed that this was already the case, but I agree that it would've been better for the movie to spend a few seconds to specifically mention it... would've been time better spent than watching Wheelie hump Mikaela's leg IMO. (-_-)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The way Optimus Prime dispensed of Bonecrusher in the first movie was pretty brutal.

I assumed that this was already the case, but I agree that it would've been better for the movie to spend a few seconds to specifically mention it... would've been time better spent than watching Wheelie hump Mikaela's leg IMO. (-_-)
    Bonecrusher was killed during battle - in the heat of combat. Demolishor was executed when he was completely out of the battle and defenseless.

That's a big difference.

Poor Demolishor. He was there minding his own business all quietly and peacefully and then evil Optimus comes along and murders him